avoid heart attack for older player

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by lim, Jan 27, 2001.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a couple of points.

there are lots of talk about hyponatraemia. while it is something that we need to be aware of, it is only an issue if one is sweating a lot and losing a lot of fluid. either from exercise in the heat, or super long endurance exercise. most of the time people are talking about marathons and long triathlons or bike rides, which can last 6 to 15 hours NON-STOP!

if you are just out in the gym during regular play for an hour or two, don't worry too much about it. :)

having said that, here are a couple of products that have a substantial amount of sodium and other electrolytes that is popular among endurance athletes:

Nuun: http://www.amazon.com/Nuun-Active-H...rds=nuun&pebp=1421167442851&peasin=B001QW1L72

Osmo: http://www.amazon.com/OSMO-Nutritio...2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421167483&sr=8-2&keywords=osmo

YMMV

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I did a review of hyponatraemia studies - yeah I know....

Anyway, a major unknown factor of these studies is that people were only tested for it at the end of the race. None of the drop outs were tested. The same with marathons. So we don't really know if over shorter exertional periods, there is a chance of hyponatraemia.

A number of the studies only tested finishers with symptoms. What about those who were not ill enough? They were not tested so we don't really know how commonly hyponatraemia happens.

The studies were not well written - they would be confused over definitions (mixing up prevalence with incidence) and describe the study design incorrectly. The clearest one was by a group from Harvard.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

There would be too many other variables, too many other factors that can cause the feeling of fainting or near blackout.

Like hypoglycemia, low glycogen stores, hypoxia, hypercapnia, hypokalemia, heat exhaustion, dehydration, etc...

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Strike off hypoxia and hypercapnia from that list. These are athletes - they don't get respiratory failure :)

6. eddychan

eddychan Regular Member

retired
    I used to see stars when I played really hard a few years ago. Then someone warned me of the ill consequences of the energy drink I had before every game.. its called Red Bull. It enhanced my stamina tremendously, and I couldn't play a decent game without it. It was then that I realized that I was playing on "borrowed time". I have since stopped taking it, reduced my limits, and started losing to girls.. haha.. the price to pay.

Red Bull is a real booster, and can bring a player to new heights.. just know that you have been there, and climb down quickly after you can say.. "been there, done that"

7. visor

visor Regular Member

*visor quickly rushes out to the store to stock up on Red Bull...

8. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Check the expiry date.

9. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
  10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Enough SLEEP seems to be the key. Ideally no less than 7 hours daily no matter how fit and healthy you think you are..

#50 Loh, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  11. yangwenli

yangwenli Regular Member

had a friend died from heart attack while he was playing badminton. He was over weighted and not eating healthy. Badminton is an extreme sport I suggest everyone who plays go jogging or running regularly. When I was a beginner I was out of breath felt like dying quickly, then I committed to running. Now i can play two three hours straight no problem. You have to know your body and know your limit, regardless any sport you play. If you see problem better see doctor and IMPROVE your overall health!!

12. bestindigital

bestindigital Regular Member

Data Engineer
    I used to be overweight, but worked out, dieted and lost 50 lbs (22.5 kg). Now, I work out 3 days a week - lifting weights and working on my core - and play about 5 to 6 hours of badminton on my non-workout days. Now I am much fitter than many of the youngsters at my club - I can play for 3 hours (doubles, not singles :D ) with only a couple of minutes rest between games.

So, those who are complaining about heart issues while playing - are you overweight?

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It is not an extreme sport but as one gets older, you do need to be aware of your limits.

14. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

Thank you for sharing. You're inspirational! Great job! Keep up the good work.
    I'm in my mid 40s. I too lost 10kg through dieting and exercising. Basically running and HIIT. Working my way up to be the fittest in my club aside for skill and technique :D
    Had laid off over the past holidays on my rountine. 2 nights of running + HIIT and 6 to 8 hrs badminton per week.

With regards to heart, I was sent to the hospital on suppected heart attack. Went through numerous ECG tests, treadmill test and calcium count scan. However, I think its heartburn. Anyway, it is an experience that I would not want to go through again. So, I would suggest to everyone above 40 to go for at least a treadmill test before embarking into any strenuous exercises. As usual, don't smoke, don't drink, less salt , less sugar, less fatty food, more greens, more natural food. Welcome to the cow world!! Moooo....:D

15. bestindigital

bestindigital Regular Member

Data Engineer
    Wow .. well, good that it turned out to be nothing serious. I had a weird problem with my heart before I lost all that weight. After a few rounds at the gym with a paid trainer, my heart would pound so hard I could almost hear it. I got the treadmill test done and they found nothing. So I kept working out and after I lost all that weight - now I can walk up 14 flight of stairs and still be fine (which I did earlier this week, after an hour at the gym).

That life sounds dreadful. :)

16. Orangie

Orangie Regular Member

Sickening feeling of something that is not right:(

Great! Let's continue with our journey.

Dreadful as it may sound.:p I want to play badminton into my 70s, hopefully 80s.:rolleyes:

#56 Orangie, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    A fit and healthy CEO aged 42 died prematurely

I like to share the following story with all sportspeople:

Ranjan Das, CEO and MD of SAP-Indian subcontinent died after a massive cardiac arrest in Mumbai recently.

One of the youngest CEOs, he was only 42.

What killed Ranjan Das?

He was very active in sports, was a fitness freak and a marathon runner.

After his workout, he collapsed with a massive heart attack and died. He is survived by his wife and two very young kids.

It was certainly a wake-up call for corporate India. However, it was even more disastrous for runners.

The question arises as to why an exceptionally active, athletic person succumbed to a heart attack at 42 years of age.

WHAT IS THE REAL REASON?

Everyone missed out a small line in the reports that Ranjan used to manage with 4-5 hours of sleep.

In an earlier interview of Ranjan on NDTV in the program 'Boss' day out', Ranjan Das himself admitted that he sleeps less and would love to get more sleep.

Short sleep duration (<5 or 5-6 hours) increases risk for high BP by 350% to 500% compared to those who slept longer than 6 hours per night.

Young people (25-49 years of age) are twice as likely to get high BP if they sleep less.

Individuals who sleep less than 5 hours a night have a 3-fold increased risk of heart attacks.

Just one night of sleep loss increases very toxic substances in body
    such as Interleukin-6 (IL-6), Tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) and C-reactive protein (CRP). They also cause cancer, arthritis and heart disease.

WHAT IS IDEAL SLEEP?

In brief, sleep is composed of two stages: REM (Rapid Eye Movement) and non-REM. The former helps in mental consolidation while the latter helps in physical repair and rebuilding.

No wonder when one wakes up with an alarm clock after 5-6 hours of sleep, he/she is mentally irritable throughout the day (lack REM sleep).

And if somebody has slept for less than 5 hours, the body is in a complete physical mess (lack of non-REM sleep), the person is tired throughout the day and immunity is way down.

IN CONCLUSION:

Barring stress control, Ranjan Das did everything right: eating proper food, exercising, maintaining proper weight. But he missed getting proper and adequate sleep, minimum 7 hours. That killed him.

We are playing with fire if we are sleeping less than 7 hours even if we have low stress.

Do not set your alarm clock under 7 hours.

Ranjan Das is not alone.

Dr N Siva
    (Senior Cardiologist)

PS: Do share it with all the Good People in your life. :)

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Do the right thing and you are mostly likely to play beyond 70.

My club players are getting older in their 60's and one is in his early 70's, still playing.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Thanks for the insightful post, Loh.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Good story by Loh. People from Indian subcontinent can get heart attacks at an earlier age- might be something to do with the ghee.