back hand trouble

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Pmitch, Mar 26, 2006.

1. DutchRion

DutchRion Regular Member

Student
    sheer practise.... youre switching to backhand becomes quicker and quicker by time, if you use it alot.....i noticed this to a while ago, now if i go for a backhand, i dont even have to think how im gonna turn my racquet, everything is going fast and proper because of the practise.!

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

There are multiple backhand grips. The grip used for overhead clears is not so different from a forehand grip.

3. malaysian19

malaysian19 Regular Member

student/part time coach
    back hand problem

every1 has problem on this... i can easily tell u the correct way to solve it by correcting the racquet angle ,hand posture etc... but belive me, that will never works..u got to learn it step by step..to the left and right side of the opponent front court first follow by back hand smashing or clearing. i m currently teaching kids.. i know they cant hit far with thier back hand.. therefor.. i m keen on their accuracy and i think that is what more important for ur backhand...

placing=1st
    power =2nd

4. mikeymyer

mikeymyer New Member

I realise that even the forehand grip should bring you trouble when doing a smash, because your palm and the raquet face are facing the same direction, but to hit the birdie, I think the raquet face and the V formed by the hand should line up for the force to go straight.

So, do people switch to another grip when doing smash? (sorry, a little off topic but please have a look, thanks a lot!)

5. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Yes, I can point you to one if you want the details PM me. I'm sure you know more than someone that's played in the thomas cup for malaysia though right, being a BA of E qualified coach :rolleyes: ?

I didn't say elite level, you are getting completely confused. I said a backhand clear is pretty worthless compared to an overhead and footwork in terms of what you should develop first. Doesn't mean you should never develop one, just not before you develop an effective overhead.

As far as the England coaching goes, keep quoting me the syllabus. That makes me laugh. Take a look at where England are in the singles rankings for your answer. Our coaching system set up is awful, and I'm sorry but as a general rule so are our coaches.

#25 UkPlayer, May 4, 2006
    Last edited: May 4, 2006
  6. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Wrong wrong and wrong. As a coach all you do is waste students time learning strokes that won't come into effect until they reach a certain level, and that level is high. Why do you think many of the Juniors start getting tonked when they try and move up to senior level interntationally? Because they've spent their time being lazy about their play and not focusing on the right areas of play. Quote me that syllabus all you want, it doesn't work. If a Junior learns a backhand they will use it many times instead of correctly using an overhead that they should have worked harder on. Take a look at how flexible and fluid in movement the asians are, do you think this was learned from backhand? Now look at the English players, tell me what you see.

You can give me some nonsensical arguments about communication and rhetoric and I have no doubt you will move to spelling errors at some point, but years of Junior and Senior circuit and County play (not just club play), playing in intl junior tournaments where I saw this first hand, and coaching from the highest level of player tell me something different about what you are talking about.

#26 UkPlayer, May 4, 2006
  7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Gosh, you are full of it, aren't you? I can see that we will not reach an agreement on this subject.

If you were a world-class player or coach yourself, I would be interested in what you have to say. But you are not.

Your casual dismissal of Badminton England coaches and coaching is breathtakingly arrogant. I remind you that, although England have no truly world-class players in mens' singles (Andrew Smith is at number 32), we have a mixed doubles number 3 pair, a women's doubles number 4 pair, a men's doubles number 9 pair, and a women's singles number 9.

Emms and Robertson, though now number three, have spent quite some time on the world number 1 spot.

You seem to think that, unless England are the world champions, then the views of its national coaching body are not worth listening to. I have rather more respect for them. Don't forget that BE have involved Asian former champions in the national coaching, including Rexy Mainaky and Lee Jae Bok.

Or are Indonesia and Korea not good enough badminton nations for you?

You also seem to be shifting your position. At the beginning, you advocated not learning a backhand at all (at least, not until one reaches a very high level of play, whatever that is--presumably your level).

Now you say not to learn a backhand until you have a good forehand and good movement. Well sure, that makes sense--but it's quite different from neglecting the backhand entirely.

#27 Gollum, May 4, 2006
  8. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Given that I have experienced BA of E coaches and coaching for the last 20 years I believe my dismissal of BA of E coaches is not casual in fact I would say it was reasonably informed. This isn't to say there aren't some good coaches out there but as you say some foreign coaches got appointed for the British team, doesn't that er make the exact point that British coaches aren't up to the standard? Pardon me, but I would rather cut off my arm than have to listen to the majority of British coaches. There are some good British coaches who have alienated themselves form the BA of E.

I haven't shifted my position at all. Like I said to this guy, work on your overhead not your backhand. I can't see where I said never learn a backhand, and given his problem I definitely don't agree with your opinion that it's bad advice.

#28 UkPlayer, May 4, 2006
  9. malaysian19

malaysian19 Regular Member

student/part time coach
    back hand problem,,

if u guys need player name i will give u 1... Ms ang li peng=ex commenwell womens double gold medalist.. go check her out.. she is my ex coach.. even her NEVER FORcE me to reach the far away cross court back hand clearing. all she does is push my to my very limit all the time to squeeze all i have inside of me out... so does that me she is a fool of ... ofcoz not... i will say only a foll will tell u so.. i've also watch training given from wong choong han.. even he doest force them to do things that they r not up to par to achive yet...because there r a few things to consider...player weight,height,agility and etc..teaching a pro player n amature player is two different things..try not to mixed it up..

example:
    how to force a skinny 49kgs in 155cm to smash out a 26+ kmh shuttle...
    u cant ... r u an idiot by not forcing him?.. u r not..what shall u do? ...get him some ways like let him to have some correct meal n take some weight..

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You seem bitter about your experience with British coaches. I've no intention of trying to argue you out of your bitterness (or pardoning it) :rolleyes:

Recruiting foreign coaches is not a sign of weakness. It's a sign that we are looking for the best coaches in the world, and are not so arrogant as to assume the best coaches are all British.

To me, that says "don't learn the backhand, or if you have learned it, don't practise it".

Anyway, whatever your position is, this is mine:

Do learn a backhand, and do practise it. But practise the forehand more, including from round-the-head positions. Use the forehand whenever just sufficient time is available. Don't use the backhand if you can play a good round-the-head instead.

I think this argument has outlived its usefulness. However we started, it appears we are now saying much the same thing (minus your vitriol against UK coaches). Given that our advice converges, I doubt anyone else is interested in how we arrived at it.

#30 Gollum, May 4, 2006