Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Backhand spinning net shot

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by martinerk0, Jun 12, 2019.

1. martinerk0

martinerk0 New Member

student
    Hello, I have difficulties doing backhand spinning net shot (using backhand grip), could somebody give any tips how to do it better?

I have no problem doing forehand spinning net shot, for example after my opponent low serve I can spin to the forhand side or in doubles at server, spin in it forehand side too. But it seems that by human biomechanics (and evolution) it is somehow harder to spin to backhand. Closest to succesful spin to backhand side is using forehand grip like in this video:

Can anyone provide tips how to do spinning net shot to backhand using backhand grip?

EDIT:

Especially, in singles when recieving serve at even points and serve is going to my backhand side, it is impossible/not good to play backhand spinning net shot with forehand grip because shuttlecock is too low, hence I have to play it with backhand grip, but so far the spin is 20% of forehand spin net shot.

#1 martinerk0, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Nobody has an idea how much spin you're trying to get, and how much spin you're capable of getting I think.

It would be really useful for you to take a short video demonstrating your current backhand technique Vs forehand technique that we can analyse.

It could be your grip, your contact point, your movement. You could be using the wrong technique for the shuttle position too - there are four methods to spin a shuttle: backhand in-out, backhand out-in, forehand in-out, and forehand out-in. Maybe you're using the correct action and it turns out you genuinely can't get more spin from the position you are in.

3. martinerk0

martinerk0 New Member

student
    Hi, here are few spinning net shots I recorded today, as you can see, forehand side is outright winner or weak reply ( or neurtral lift ), but on the backhand it flies higher and does not spin enough.

Both are in-out.

If it looks good on video, well in reality that backhand spinning net shot has more upward trajectory so opponent has more time to react or kill it (it goes to net 20% of time and 30 % are high/not spinny enough shots )

#3 martinerk0, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

What difference do you see between your forehand and your backhand net shots?

forehand: hand above racket head, that way, the head is tilted the right way;
    backhand: Hand and racket head at the same height, that way the strings are facing upwards and that's where the shuttle is going

Raise your hand above the racket head.

Your opponent's serves are suicide, way to slow and thus too easy to get early in singles. They open up the entire court to cover for him, that makes it easy for you, just randomly play some flat lifts instead will force him to move away from the net, making your net shots even more effective.

5. martinerk0

martinerk0 New Member

student
    The difference is amount of spin and height of the shuttle is higher above the tape (but that could be improved by training I guess). When I watch pro matches they also rarely play backhand spinning net shots, almost all are forehand on the forehand side.

So what you suggest is to play faster serves so opponent cannot spin it? Should these low serves go to the service line or beyond?

Also, how to force opponent to play flat net shot so I can spin it? My only idea is to play fast drop shots or play stick smash and run to the net to play spinning net shot.

6. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

I already told you one main difference and probably the culprit of the problem. I gave you the solution:
    And only then I thought it might be worth mentioning the serve.
    Yes, flat, faster, landing quite a bit behind the service line.

A serve like your opponent does can be reached very early quite easily. You do it every time. That way you can play spinning net shots, flat lifts, or whatever else you want , leaving him stranded before the third shot is played. It's a very very negative situation for him. Playing faster, thus longer serves, takes away the net area for a response. It has been discussed here many many times, so I mentioned it, but for more information/discussion, please use the search function.