Bad blisters due to shoe

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by fafman, Jan 28, 2016.

1. fafman

fafman Regular Member

Consultant
    Hi All,

I play for about 2 hours, 3 times a week fairly regularly. I mostly play aggressive doubles games.

I have been struggling with blisters in my toe area and am trying to get the forums help here to find a good remedy. Attached two pics - one showing my shoe and the sole (you can clearly see a hole developing in the sole) and second a picture of my feet.

What is a good shoe that I can buy which offers good protection and cushion near the big toe area?

I will really appreciate any input and shoe suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    I get calluses at the same spot as you all the time and on both feet. They are mostly hardened skin and usually the day after the game, I just use a scissors to trim it off.

I could be completely wrong, but:
    - you look to be rolling inwards towards your big toe when playing (as shown by your insole) as this also happens to me so perhaps a more structured insole like Spenco Total Support Max may help? this can become painful especially if your blisters are hard and you keep rolling over them
    - too large a shoe size: maybe you overcompensated by going up half a size and thus your feet are constantly sliding? (I tend to buy US9.5 when I am only US9 due to my wide feet so now I am very picky with shoes and always go for wide versions only)
    - try using moisture wicking socks and change them regularly during your badminton sessions (like after every game). You can also put talcum powder in your socks to help with keeping it dry, rub Vaseline on the blister area to minimise friction.

Unfortunately, I have never ever gotten rid of those blisters, but have only minimised it.

#2 justinwyyau, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

Wait, is that a blister (ie fluid filled) or just a callus (ie hardened keratinized skin)?

4. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION] it is a callus (looks exactly like what I get) and in hindsight, I just realised the big difference between a blister and a callus.

5. fafman

fafman Regular Member

Consultant
    Yes, shoes might be .5 size bigger and that could be the problem. I try to wear double socks but not much respite.

The spenco insoles seems to have high arch and heels. Not sure it's going to help me with the blisters near the big toe area

Def need to get new pair shoes and this time the right size. Any recommendations?

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Now that Justin is sorted out, [MENTION=120097]fafman[/MENTION] is yours a callus or blister? See my post above.

7. fafman

fafman Regular Member

Consultant
    I think it's callus( dry hard skin)

8. Yaremchuk

Yaremchuk Regular Member

software developer
    As an owner of my own calluses/blisters of the similar kind I can say that usually they are both.

Skin is very thick on the sole so you might not always notice liquid under it.
    And it is gone the next day and a blister turns into a callus.

The worst thing happening to my calluses is an inflamation.
    It can be known by pricking pain when rolling over the callus especially with toes bent up.

Still have no clues how to fight it. But will give a try to suggested methods I found for now:
    * treat with medical spirit or salted before training to harden the sole
    * double socks
    * change socks use talс to keep them dry
    * use vaseline to reduce friction

9. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member