Badminton: Malaysia will meet semis target

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006' started by ants, Apr 5, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    NST April 6
    NATIONAL chief coach Yap Kim Hock is confident the 21-point scoring format will not jeopardise Malaysia’s hopes of a minimal semi-final appearance in the Thomas Cup on April 28-May 7.

In fact, Kim Hock believes the national players have adapted well to the format and should do well against the likes of China, Indonesia, South Korea and Denmark in the Thomas Cup, which will be played in Sendai and Tokyo.

"We don’t have problems with the new scoring system. In fact, I believe we will meet our target of qualifying for the semi-finals," said Kim Hock in Kuching yesterday.

National No 1 and 2005 Sportsman of the Year, Lee Chong Wei had said on Tuesday that the new format had made the game less interesting.

However, Chong Wei has thrived since the format was introduced in February, picking up the Melbourne Commonwealth Games and Asian Badminton Championships titles.

Kim Hock, who was in Kuching to finalise details for the Thomas Cup squad’s one-week training stint in the city, said he had chosen Kuching as the BA of Malaysia wants the players to be focused on preparing for the championships.

"We don’t want the players to be distracted in the build-up to the Thomas Cup finals."

BAM’s stand is understandable as this year’s Thomas Cup is shaping up to be one of the most open in recent years.

Though champions China have an edge, they do not look as invincible as they were two years ago while Indonesia and Korea are in transition. Denmark do not possess enough depth to trouble the others.

Malaysia are expected to play Indonesia in the quarter-finals.

Kim Hock said he will name the final squad on April 14.

2. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    what ! only semis target ?? not champion :)

3. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    I think I'd disagree about Denmark not having enough depth to trouble the others. They've got a strong singles side and a strong doubles side with Peter Gade, Kenneth Jonassen, Jens Eriksen and Martin Lundgaard, and a choice of Paaske/Laybourn, and Rasmussen/Steffensen. What do you guys (and girls of course) think?

4. taufik-ist

it administrator
    denmark have a big chance to win tc 2006

all dans players will play all out, especially PG, and two MD, they may not be able to play in next thomas cup

now or never :D

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If it's Indonesia in the quarterfinals, then reaching the semifinals will be somewhat a relief.

But the realistic (not overly ambitious and not lacking either) target should be the final. After that, winning will be a bonus.

6. taufik-ist

it administrator
    it seems BAM won't give mas squad a high pressure :D

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Indonesia's victories in the past few years was, I believe, due to their great strength in the men's doubles. They could almost vitually assure themselves of winning these doubles and only have to pick up a singles to win.

See what happened last time when Ina doubles could not deliver - they lost!!

There is no one country that can virtually assure two rubbers over the Thomas Cup tie. I believe M'sia has a good chance with it's strong doubles pairs and two good singles players (LCW and WCH).

I also believe China has a good chance with Lin Dan playing 1st singles and possibly Chen Jin at 3rd singles. But their Achilles point is the doubles yet again.

Of course Denmark has two good pairs (Paaske and JR are teaming up again) plus PG and KJ for singles. Denmark must really be fancying their chances of making it to the final and even taking the Thomas Cup this time.

All in all, very exciting stuff to look forward to.

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Now it's BAM's turn to employ psychology. Definitely said semis only to deflect pressure off the players. As the No.2 seed, I'm sure they'll be disappointed not to make the final.

Yap's comments about the Danes also smacks of gamesmanship. I think everyone knows Denmark is sending a brute of a team and can upset any of the big boys.

Funnily enough I think the pressure is squarely on China and I have the suspicious feeling they will struggle to meet expectations. Sometimes the home crowd can work against you especially when you are daring poorly. We'll see; it's going to be quite a tournament.

9. indra

indra Regular Member

I guess the Japanese will never support the Chinese team. The Japanese would rather support other teams than China.

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

You're right, what was I thinking???

11. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

Protect the Quarter
    Aim for Semi
    Fight for Final
    Hope for champion

:D :D :D :D

12. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Korean players have been quiet recently. There is precedence where players who were seemingly dormant for some time suddenly spring alive in the Thomas Cup. The Koreans are definitely capable of doing so.

13. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

Yup, he's definitely underestimating the Danes. I think this is probably one of their best squads ever, although the same could probably be said 2 years ago. Wow, looking back at the stats, they've been finalists 7 times now without winning it, must be heart-breaking. But I'd still rather see Indonesia, China or Malaysia retaining it and keeping the winners club exclusive! :p

14. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Your going to give Steen Pedersen (Danish head coach) a stomach ulcer!

15. event

event Regular Member

Talk about a team in transition, wasn't Malaysia in this boat in 2004? They had WCH in singles and LWW/CTF in doubles but the other doubles pairs were waning (CCM and partner). Didn't WCH end up having to play doubles in that effort? In singles, Hafiz looked promising after the CG and AE but it was already clear, by 2004, that those were flukes and I don't know that he was even on the TC team that year. LCW hadn't come into his own yet, nor had KBH. Wasn't Ong Ewe Hock just on his way out at that time? Lee Tsuen Seng? Who else was there? Ah, yes, Roslin! Still, definitely a transition year, I'd say. As for Korea, they are more in transition now than they were then. Lee Hyun-il is playing well now but he was holding his own then, too, and Shon was in much better shape then than now. The only problem with their doubles then was that Ha Tae-kwun was injured. KDM, YYS, LDS were all there and Kim Yong-hyun was still playing with Yim Bang-eun.

I do agree that Denmark seems a lot more solid than Indonesia or Korea this time around.

16. Carbonexer

Carbonexer Regular Member

China (LD), M'sia (LCW) & Ina (TH, only if his PMS doesn't fall on that day) has a very good 1st singles. Den & Korea 1st singles are not as strong.

All except Korea has equally strong 1st doubles. Ina and Den has a better chance though. Follow by M'sia and China.

From the look at this, Korea doesn't seem to stand a very good chance.

17. fishnet wen*yi

fishnet wen*yi Regular Member

student
    I think denmark is one of the contenders for the cup this yr. peter gade and the 2 doubles are extremely strong. even against china, denmark will have the upperhand with their doubles. it'll just be up to peter gade to pull the carpet underneath lin dan like what he did in the china masters.

actually, with the new format and all, anything can happen. in fact, i think that this will be a very interesting tournament this time... difficult to tell which country will win though the current faves should be China, Malaysia and Denmark. Indonesia is a dark horse this time, but a dangerous one. what happened to korea though? they used to do quite well too. especially during the times of kim-ha, lee dong soo pair, park tae seng and shon seong mo.... they seem to be slacking a little?

18. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

Malaysia have a very realistic chance to win the Thomas Cup 2006.With the new scoring system Lcw can create upset against Lin Dan and Taufik.With Hafiz in the third singles,his chances of winning all his matches are very good.Now we need the evergreen pair of CTF and LWW to wrap up the game.If this two experienced warriors failed,Malaysia can still depend on triple K and CCM.All the best boys.Nothing is impossible.It just take a little longer.And after 14 years,its time for you all to bring back the cup.Success is the sweetest revenge.Its TOUCH and GO and GO FOR IT.These two slogans are everwhere in Malaysia.Its good omen for Malaysia.:cool: :cool: :cool:

19. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

i tot it should be if KKK/CCM failed to defend the point, we still have CTF/LWW? as far as i know, KKK/CCM are higher ranked than CTF/LWW.

20. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

You are right.Latest ranking on 13-04-2006,CCm/KKK ranked 6th and CTF/LWW the 7th.