Badminton: Misbun fears Taufik more than Lin Dan

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by ixory, Jul 29, 2007.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I like this line. But are you indirectly suggesting that LCW's the greatest? That would be quite flattering.

2. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

You are a heck of a man.So bloody
    sure.You have the foresight.I agree whole-heartedly with you in your conviction.Misbun and LCW what a lethal combination.

3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Why should he? If he wins, great. If he doesn't, can also be great as long as he plays his best.
    If he can have his way,he said he would like to retire from badminton after OG08 so he can make up for lost time with his family.
    I don't think he's in it for personal glory but he's working to give his best shot as MAS' best bet for the nicest sounding badminton title.

4. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    I could not agree more it is really about giving his best...

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

if he win..it is a great archievement becoz he can be the 1st Malaysian to win at WC. no malaysian had won it... so if lee cong wei win,he can b the best in the world for at least 1 year although if he retire from badminton but i tink he will not coz he loves badminton very much.....

6. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    wow, here are 185 posts following Misban's single comment.

I don't think Misban is clear himself. On Malaysia newspaper, he claimed before the final of Philippine's open that Lee CW would overtake Chen Hong's 2nd ranked position if LCW beat CH in the final. That's obviously wrong, some friends made the same claim here, and I have corrected that.

So don't take what Misban said seriously, as a professional head coach, even cannot calculate the ranking points, how can he know his potential enemies? and even sort them in order?

7. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Well, I think your conclusion is not logical. Let's say Misbun is illiterate, can do 1+1. That doesn't mean he cannot understand badminton. Mike Tyson doesn't know how to manage his own money, but he understands punching ppl very very well. :D

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    R U saying that misbun is mathematically handicapped like mike tyson?

9. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

I don't think you think logically ;)

Mike Tyson is fine because he's professional boxer. Misban is okay if he's the badminton player. But now he's managing Lee CW's ranking, that's the job he tried to do and failed.

If Lee CW had said he would be the 2nd overtaking CH, that's fine because his job is to win on the court. But Misban was trying to manage Lee CW's ranking points which he's obviously disqualified.

Let professionals do the professional jobs. Misban may be good at coaching skills, but how to manage players tournaments schedules, how to manage the ranking points, he's not good for sure.

10. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

I think there are a lot of to research and do better about how to arrange the players schedules to maximize their prize money and ranking pointings, but most most people are not that smart to know the difference resulting from the understanding of mathematics.

For example, look at Taufik, no body denies he's a genius, he also played more than 10 tournaments, but how come end up in such a low ranking position. The answer is simple! Taufik doesn't know mathematics and more desperately, there is none around him knows mathematics to help him.

Another example is Li Yongbo, who doesn't know mathematics. He said he wants to help players' ranking points because that's the first priority before the Olympics, but LYB didn't send any other players in the Sudirman competiton. If he had let CJ, BCL, CY play one match for each, then they could be all in the top 4 with Lin Dan (because one win gives them over 7,000 points).

11. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Hello 2cents..his name is MISBUN, not Misban.....

12. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    I am sure they know the simple 1+1 or else all of them are going to mess up the scoring..

13. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

On LYB again, because of his strategy at Sudirman cup, the China men's singles collapsed. Bao CL and Chen Jin had not played for a quite long time, and Chen Yu was even sent back to his hometown for vacation for weeks. That's the reason when they were back to the China master, none of them were in the form for competition.

14. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Thanks

thanks again, since one "thanks" is not enough to be posted

15. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

That "else all of them" is just "you", or people you know. As the head coach of a team, must fully understand the ranking system. It's about all the players' money and future.

I have been attacking the ranking system for years, and first thing I got to do, was that I had to understand it thoroughly.

Besides me, I believe there are some others here understand the BWF ranking fully. For example, "event" from Korea/Canada was one of them.

#195 2cents, Aug 2, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  16. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I don't think "how to manage players tournaments schedules, how to manage the ranking points," are of much importance to a coach. There should be someone else in the team calculating that, even if there is none, YKH instead of Misbun should do that. Misbun's focus should be making LCW a better player.

Btw, being a former athlete (understand it as "without much education"), it is OK if Misbun cannot figure out the ranking system. Even if he is illiterate, so what. As long as he can play good badminton, he is a good player; as long as he can make LCW reaching his full potential, he is a great coach.

17. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    Errr sorry 2cents i did not quite get you back there..

I was not saying that head coached needed to understand the ranking system.

Simply i was commenting that if a person is not able to count 1+1 he or she would messed up the scoring system (points when a player wins the rally)

18. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

In Taufik's case, I believe he claimed that he actually prefers to be in an inconspicuous position. No. 10 is actually a pretty good position for him.

In LYB's case, he cannot afford to have the slightest chance to lose in Sudirman cup (also Thomas cup, Uber cup, etc.). So he always try to use the strongest players. Also, it is a good strategy to accumulate as many points as possible for LD, if you remember his claim a few months ago that once LD has got so many points that he will be No.1 seed in the Olympics anyway, he can afford to lose even in earlier rounds to help CJ, BCL, etc. (Because they may meet in early rounds due to the new way of making draws).

19. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    FYI Misbun can count and etc

Again agreeing most of them who discuss this matter.Misbun's role is to make good players and i dont think that he has the time to calculate all the ranking points and etc.

I am sure someone else in the team can help him do that.Its not a one man show it is a team thing in the background.

20. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

It is even okay if Misbun cannot calculate. As you suggested, there must be someone else in the team to do that. But it is Misbun's fault that he made his miscalculation public. Since he cannot calculate (which is okay), he should ask other people first to calculate first.

But because of his limitation, he is a less successful coach. Please realize that Misbun is not the greatest coach yet. You sound like because he cannot calculate so he's the greatest coach. That's against logic.

One reason stops him from the greatest coach is probably that he cannot calculate. Let's back to this WC, he said it's Taufik, not Lindan, the most dangerous opponent. Then why he's happy that Lee CW got the 2nd seed. Since LCW got the 2nd seed, he could meet the most dangerous Taufik in QF. So if Misbun were smart, he would arrange Lee CW's ranking in the 5-8. That way, Lee CW would definitely not meet Taufik before SF. That's the simple power of the calculation.