Badminton players in NW Calgary?

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Bobbert, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Bobbert

Bobbert Regular Member

Student
    Does anyone live in NW Calgary that I might be able to play agianst? I play with some friends once in awhile but I want to try having a match with other players in Calgary to see how good I am.

2. sunofabeach

sunofabeach Regular Member

if you want to test yourself, join one of the tournaments that are held. that is where you'll see what skills you have.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

come to beddington height school monday and wednesday nites (8:15pm but some players show up at 8pm). I only attend the wednesday nite session.

they play plastic tho. I go there because it's only 3 mins drive.:D

4. Bobbert

Bobbert Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the suggestion cooler, I might go and check it out if I can find a way to get there. Is everyone good there or are there different levels of players? Do you play full court singles or doubles or is it half court singles or doubles? Also is it a tournament style or a play who you want to type of system? If you could answer my questions it would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

place is beddington height elementary school, it has a high school size gym tho.

all double games until near closing where some courts come available for singles. The style is play with who u want. Level: 20% B, 60% C, 20% D

6. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    Hmmm... I played there a few times before last month...

Monday is horrible as most players are either C or D. With ridiculous serves and whatever.
    Wednesday is better like Cooler mentioned... I think there are two Malaysian like (22-28) guys that are much better than the rest, and someone(asian) named Michael(Mike) whom is very good, too.

Cooler, who are you anyways, I might have played with you without even knowing...:p

Do they have a session tonight, I may go again if enough good players show up though.

#6 bananaboy, Dec 13, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  7. Bobbert

Bobbert Regular Member

Student
    Do you know Mike's last name? I played agianst someone whos name was Mike Lam he was short and kinda buff if I recall

8. Rekindled

Rekindled Regular Member

Schoool =/ And a summer job to make money for badm
    yep, that'll be mike lam...small, but crazy fast and has such a high vertical. When did you play against him?

9. Bobbert

Bobbert Regular Member

Student
    Ah, it was a long time ago at Hawkwood badminton someone brought him in for doubles (It was a mini tournament and I thought that it was so cheap that someone would bring such a skilled guy there) and so I teamed up with a friend and beat him since his partner literally played badminton for 1 hour max if you add all her playing time I thought it was really funny we won since when the girl just walked away he started to catch up amazingly fast

10. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    The Michael I am referring to is a different person. Not Michael Lam... this other guy is not very tall, kind of skinny and hell he can jump very high as well. I was playing at Beddington Heights last night... and it wasn't too good as most of my games were with the average players, and some whom couldn't even properly serve a damn... Only fun game was my last singles match... I can't play doubles with club players, they just don't know what to do really...

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i go to beddington once a week mostly because it's close by and cheap:D and also to loosen some joints. One has to know how to make use this type of setting to improve, u dont have to pair up wif good players to play good or to enjoy the game. I often pair up with a C or D player against C+ to B player pair. Like tonite, due to rotational chance, i pair up with a C+ lady against a b and b+ men in double. Yes, these guys can jumpsmash and jump drops, backhand clear and drive. One even very good at net deception. At first she didnt want to play because she thinks it is too lop sided and would get hurt from their smashing. I said lets play and do your best. I told her if we lose we lose but just put in a good effort and u will enjoy the game. Guess what? we beat the 2 guys 15-10 (yah, OSS). She played superbly for her level. Personally i too thot we would get creamed. Those 2 guys were very angry (in a friendly way). They wanted a 2nd game so we did. It was after another 2 rotation before we played the second game, some momentum were lost i guess. We were leading 5-1 but then i got over confident (like in the LD vs TH) and became less agressive and more reactive, and the opponents were very focus to beat us back. We lost 11-15. Sometime, these lob sided games can teach u alot about oneself.

#11 cooler, Dec 14, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  12. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    I think I know who you are now... did you partner with Wendy???:p Or a different lady???:p

I don't mind playing with a weaker player... the only thing I really mind is when they don't do a serve properly.:( If they would just serve properly, the game would at least be more enjoyable... :p

Cooler, if you are planning to go there again when it re-opens on Jan 31st, we should have a singles game... according to your profile, you beat Keith Chan(I hope you are referring to the national player:p) twice:eek:... I could never say that myself...:p

13. Bobbert

Bobbert Regular Member

Student
    Is Beddington Heights badminton still on? I checked it out and I didn't see any lights on in the school :confused: I figured it was because its near christmas holidays which was really bad for me since it was gonna be my last game for awhile :crying:

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

last day yesterday.
    reopen jan 31st 2007

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

of course:p but only he and i know the stories behind this tho:p

16. Shiryu

Shiryu Regular Member

Nerd
    very interesting... do they welcome drop-in? if so how much?

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yes, 6 bucks.....

18. Michael-Lam

Michael-Lam Regular Member

Student / Badminton Coach
    i went to beddington heights once, it was okay there was this one guy that was pretty decent, but i forgot his name haha. Rekindled, who are you thats kinda creepy. i dont recall playing against or with you

19. Rekindled

Rekindled Regular Member

Schoool =/ And a summer job to make money for badm
    Gee, sorry xP Heres a hint. You gave me happy feet candy, and you brought me my racket at CWC Open =p

20. Sprockett

Sprockett Regular Member

Sorry to dig up this old thread but I am wondering if drop-in is still happening in Beddington at the time posted here.

I am just trying to get back into badminton for the exercise...I have been away from it for about 10 years. I also used to play with both Keith and Eric Chan at the VSLC 5 times a week in the late 90's (I was a friend of their older brother). Kieth could already beat me then in singles I think and he must have been about 12 at the time :)

At any rate, I have been trying to play recently on Thursday night and Sunday nights as time permits and mostly drop in Cardel Place. They have a booking system and everyone there seems to know each other so getting into their games seems awkward. It also costs $10 which is expesive when not taking advantage of other parts of the facility. Just feeling out other options.

Thanks,
    Ryan