Badminton Racket Grommet

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by DeathMarkz, Jun 1, 2017.

1. DeathMarkz

DeathMarkz Regular Member

Hi all! I just bought a new Nanospeed 9900, went to string it and kind of used all my money lol. I didn't really checked the racket when I tried the racket a few days ago.I also used it today and just checked my racket for white shuttlecock marks, realised that there is a grommet hole without a grommet and the string is sitting just on top of the racket.I string the racket at 25lbs, what should I do?Will it affect the performance or the frame of the racket?

Attached Files:

2. DeathMarkz

Thanks for viewing!Have a good day :)

3. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    if i were you i won't take risk and cut the string out and restring it.

The string might break very fast though, most likely cut by the frame.

did you bought a second hand racket or a new one? if news bring it back to the shop !

4. DeathMarkz

I bought the racket at the shop unstrung and did not string at that shop as it was quite expensive,I went to a freelance stringer because it was cheaper and this happened......

5. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    you get what you pay for.

that string is on the frame itself i personally would not play on it even if it was safe.

6. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    i don't understand how you stringer did to take out the grommet from a new racket...

maybe he needed a grommet for is own racket and took it from yours :D

7. DeathMarkz

I think the grommet probably dropped out before I bought it? But I am not really sure. He said that he did not check the racket since it was a new one but like how do you not realise that a grommet is missing when you feed thw string through that grommet hole when stringing.

8. Radu Popeanu

Radu Popeanu New Member

That is stupid, since the stringer noticed for sure that you have a missing grommet. Get yourself a new grommet (even from another broken racket)and restring the racket asap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ucantseeme likes this.
  9. Fantasista

Fantasista New Member

Better to cut the string rather than risk the racket frame. I wonder how the stringer could miss any hole without a grommet, how he did the stringing process?
    Better to find another stringer next time.

10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Cut it immediately! Why risking a new high end racket for saving the amount of a stringing job? That's a no-brainer.

I would call for a replace of the stringer. Even if I get new rackets from customers, I inspect them and a missing grommet is easily noticeable when you string. I also inspect the job when it's done. He was just lazy or a real shabby stringer who don't even have grommets and don't control his work.

It could be popped out during stringing/preweaving or you bought one with a missing grommet, because a guy played around with this racket at the shop.

And you was a really cheap dude, who skipped the stringer at the shop because of a few bucks. You got, what you paid for.

Hope you learnt your lesson. As a stringer I can tell you: Quality jobs from a skilled stringers with passion on a good machine and decent service can never as cheap as a basement guy with a shuttle express who do it for 10$.

DeathMarkz and cj0817 like this.
  11. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    I would cut it in case the string starts to cut into the frame, which is likely at that tension.

I would expect any stringer to replace grommets as necessary - I always check rackets before stringing and replace them for free if it's just a handful. To string a racket with a missing grommet is IMO a mistake by the stringer. If I did something like that I would offer a free restring.

Fantasista likes this.
  12. DeathMarkz

I contacted the string about the problem and he said he would not help me restring the racket :( He's quite stingy to be honest after all that hes done.Not a good experience for me,will never ever go back to that string any more .

13. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Wow, that's a bad attitude to have! All it costs is a set of string and time, not a lot compared to future loss of custom. Not only yours, but anyone you might have recommended to him.

14. DeathMarkz

Not sure if I should post his Carousell account here,because I found his on Carousell and also it might ruin his freelance job.But I also don't want anyone to become like me....

15. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    If you've tried to sort it out and he refused to redo what is frankly a bad job, then I say name and shame. I'm sorry for your bad luck.

16. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    A serious stringer would do it for free. Stringer made an error in his work, stringer must give replace. Easy thing. What he thought (new racket), guessed (all grommets new and in) is his sloppy work.

I replace grommets for free and offer a great service, but have a higher price than others. People who try to nego, can go to the 2€-4€ less charging guy.s If you were my customer, you would get a free restring immediately and a cup of coffee during you wait - no doubt. He's done, you're done. So I don't see any issue to hide his name.

s_mair likes this.
  17. DeathMarkz

18. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Wow what's the normal shop price for stringing on Singapore?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

19. DeathMarkz

In shops they are like $5-$10 more expensive which I think it's quite bullshit to be honest.

20. myy_yyc

myy_yyc New Member

I kinda suspect the stringer uses fake strings as he charges same price for bg65 and bg80. It just does not sound logical.