Badminton/Taiwan Open: Lin Dan exacts sweet revenge

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Malaysia Open / Chinese Taipei Op' started by Malaysianfan, Jun 25, 2006.

1. johnps

johnps Regular Member

Originally Posted by chibe_K
    Defense: LCW was able to return most of LD's smashes. In the past, LD's smashes would crush LCW but now...its no longer a threat. This is the most obvious improvement I noticed.

Offense: LCW has developed his own sharp and powerful smash that LD was having trouble anticipating and returning. You could tell LD during the match that LD missed quite a significant number of smashes from LCW.

Speed: I thought LCW was quicker than LD in term of speed.

Moves: Definitely LCW, I love his elegant moves combined with fancy trick shots that LD was having troubles with. LD's style was very dull and rigid, however he was able to overpower LCW with his physical fitness. With LD's style of play, he only has one or at most two more years to last while LCW's career expectancy should be much longer.

Skills: Definitely LCW. He is the "Ronaldinho" of Badminton.

If ther is a MVP award for badminton, definitely it goes to LCW.

Originally Posted by EastDevil
    From your ridiculously unbelievable analysis, I cannot believe that LCW was so fantasticaly perfect and yet he lost the match! But can't blame you as you are blinded by where you come from.

I cringed when I read chibe_K's post. I also find his praise and assessment of LCW as being extravagantly excessive and exaggerated.

2. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

Come on, give him a break... :rolleyes:

3. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

chibe_k's comment maybe abit exaggerating but in some sense its also quite true. LCW's skills and defense has definitely improved tremendously.

4. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

What do u mean by "Magic is Magic"? Really make no sense to me. :confused:
    He denifitely deserved some credit after saving 8 match points from LD, this shows tat he has improved much on mental strength which is a good thing. And in skills wise i think they are both on the some par although their style of playing is different.

5. johnps

johnps Regular Member

Please, Give Us A Break Too!

I was hoping that we can also be given a break with analysis of players and matches that are more balanced than one-sided/lop-sided and "over the top". :eek::eek:

6. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

there's no need to be rude on him though

7. chanbc

chanbc Regular Member

I agree with your view. Sometimes, we are so carried away by the "tide" created by "Malaysia Boleh".

8. johnps

johnps Regular Member

Originally Posted by johnps
    I was hoping that we can also be given a break with analysis of players and matches that are more balanced than one-sided/lop-sided and "over the top". :eek::eek:

My last post is not directed at anyone in particular.

It is a general plea for a more balanced and fair analysis of matches and players.

Yes, some of us do "idol worship" certain player(s). However, extremely skewed reporting of matches and players can sometimes border on being ridiculous and irrational.

9. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    I think as fans, we should be more rational about the players we like because it will stir things up too much in terms of expectations. I like LCW a lot too, but I prefer to highlight his weaknesses because it allows us to track and see his improvement over time. His achievements don't need too much talking about as its right there on IBF's website and need no doubts.

One week after making the most stupid slip-up of his career so far, Lin Dan didn't give his opponent any chance in CTO2006 this time. All these improvements, adjustments or fine-tuning by these players are what make them more human and likeable as I believe we appreciate players who constantly improves and get smarter. It also make badminton a more human and fun sport than idol or country worship.

10. doctor_teh

doctor_teh Regular Member

as pointed out many times, malaysian fans are quite easily excited. once lcw won the MO2006 (which we all already know how), the fans reacted like he already won the World Champion or olympic gold. But whatever short-sightedness or silliness like shown by chibe_k, jessica and even kuxuko show; we can forgivve them see-ing that malaysia is in desperate need of sum cheer. looks like LD is pacing himslf very well. no point going top gear to winning all these small tournaments only to suffer burnout in WC2006. even though LD is in 1st gear, LCW still kenot beat him. LCW is not much concern. Definitely LD is going to peak and hit high gear in Madrid n shall destroy taufik thr.

11. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I thought the comparison with Federer and Nadal was spot on.Nadal's weapons are his sheer energy and power, just like LD's super fitness and smash. You wonder how long these weapons will last. LCW, like Federer, has so many weapons that often the problem is which one to use. But as a MS, LCW 's play is the most beautiful to watch. I think it's his movement. Top MS all have excellent footwork but LCW's is in a class of his own. He moves like a ninja. When PG first played LCW in SO 2004? (and losing to him), he was quite taken aback by his silent swiftness. LD is alert to that. Only TH remains cool and confident. That's because TH is the most intelligent of all. He projects this aura like he can read his opponent's game (which is true) and already has the right weapons ready (TH is also multi-weaponed but he is very clear which ones to use against who).In SO 2005, LD didn't seem confident facing TH. Just from body language alone, you can tell who is the official World No. 1 and who is the REAL World No. 1. For sheer confidence, TH is NO 1, for sheer determination, it's LD, for breathtaking beauty of badminton, it's LCW. I can't place PG. In SO 2006, LCW is the player I miss watching. TH maybe. LD is never missed. Or rather , his arrogance.LCW deserves to be the World No. 1.Even now, at a level when LD knows he has to be on his ten toes, LCW still shows some rawness. Can you imagine what it's like when Li Mao has polished the diamond?

12. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Err... actually, its Lin Dan that is known more to be an all-rounder together with Taufik while LCW is known more for his attacking speed and cross-court smashes.

Err... I think its Taufik that's known for determination (when he wants it), Lin Dan for his confidence (Ba Qi) and Peter Gade is the one famously known for the beautiful game.

Which channel do you watch? :p

13. doctor_teh

firstly, dun tarnish roger federer name. federer won so many major titles. what had LCW won? 2ndly, move like a ninja? think it is true. LCW is a goner in a smoke. KEKE

14. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

In fact, its quite obvious to me that LD is made champion. He plays like a machine which is only a reflection of China's training style. In other words, when looking at LD, we see another product of LYB, not a star like Peter Gade or Taufik or LCW. LYB can produce another LD....look at upcoming young players from China, you will easily spot another LD#2.

On the other hand, LCW, Taufik, and Peter Gade are natural champions with gifted talents. They don't play like a machine, they play badminton like how the Brazillians play soccer. When LD plays, the focus is only winning a match. When LCW plays, you enjoy every aspect of badminton !

15. doctor_teh

...incredible observation. when lcw plays, its like the angels oso come down and watch. and all nature sings in harmony. while plain old ugly lin dan wins all the major tournaments. spare some scraps of haughty little taufeck too

16. hollywood_t

hollywood_t Regular Member

I think u are spot on Devil. I think Lin Dan's "all around skills " defence and ability to stay in the point is under rated as between him and Peter Gade this is the key difference.

For PG he can only play the beautiful attacking game, but when the momentum of the match shifts or his opponent makes the margin to attack successfully too high he has no fall back plan. At that point it's errors everywhere ala PG vs. Lee Hyn Il in AE 2006 or vs. Taufik Sudirman 2005. By this I mean he doesn't have the ability to play defence or higher margin shots to stay in the point until a chance to win the point comes around.

But for LD I see that he can be patient and play defence or neutral strokes to extend the rally untily he can attack again w/ his strengths Taufik Sudirman 2005, LCW AE 2006. He is not simply a smash & net machine.

I mean you can't expect your offence to be spot on and demolish all the other top 10 players consistently. Hence Taufik cannot beat LD and the rest all the time i.e. the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long .... which is great for badminton just not so great if u want to be #1.

No player on earth can play perfect badminton day in day out. You have to be able to adapt to the ebb & flow of the match. To me LD's ability to adjust to the match dynamics is what makes him #1 along w/ forcing you to play to his strengths.

Have to admit initially I thought this guy is just about speed & smash, but that was before I saw him grind out matches when he was not playing his best. That is the key advantage he has the ability to win matches even when he is not in peak form. Still his shelf life is probably 3-4 more years barring injury as the Asian style is very intensive on the body. I would like to see him develop another offensive shot like that offers an alternative to smashing ala Mia AUdina's fast slice drop.

LCW reminds me of what Fang said about Misbun, one of the best techniques in the world but lacking finishing. I think that is alll that is missing and would explain this preponderance on using net & trick shots rather than going for the jugular. All LCW needs is to accept that it is important to play beautifully but as a professional it is equally important to win. So trick shots are not for pressure moments that will decide the outcome of the match.

Similar to Johan Cruyff said about football, the challenge is to turn a beautiful footballer into a professional, to adopt the right mentaiity, to punish the mistakes of others. Still things aren't that bad for LCW he is #1 for the time being. I think there is a mental struggel still for him to adop the right mentality....

Great discussion folks,

Derek

17. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    You sure gives me the goosebumps with all that angel watching and nature singing stuff. I cannot believe I would hear such things about a badminton player. :eek: You really need a shrink to deal with that problem man... This is just badminton... ha ha

18. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    At their level, talent and hardwork are already there. If Lin Dan do not have talent, he would never be able to play at this level. You cannot be one of the top players if you are purely robotic and no talent.

It is too easy to relate Lin Dan's simpler gameplay as plain production-line training style and forget the way he approach his matches with efficiency and strategy. The usual population are easily fascinated by the topless can-can dancers and forget the irish tap dancers... :p

You may only look at badminton as a monkey show but I am sure many other people look at it broadly and appreciate the various styles. ;)

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    simplicity is devine. If it get too fancy, it might backfire.

As bruce lee had said, he never fight a real fight like those fancy moves in his movie. It's wham, bang and done in 5 seconds to take a guy down.

LD played to win, u can't blame him for his choice of method used.
    If it were for an exihibition show, then you can blame LD for his mechanic style :p

20. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    HAHAHA, i'm pretty sure Doctor teh was being sarcastic there, eastevil