behaviour by pro badminton players not captured on video

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by vittorio790, Jan 21, 2016.

1. vittorio790

vittorio790 Regular Member

I watch badminton matches on bwf channel on youtube

While there has been some bad behaviour by players captured on video (like boe talking to referee about getting glasses), I wonder what other actions(good or bad) have not been captured on video, but people attending the event might have seen?

2. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    I'm sure 99% of off camera stuff will be good. Pretty much all badminton players are kind, friendly people off court as far as I know.

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Just my opinion, but I would hate to have this innocently-started thread turn into a tabloid of witnessed unseemly behaviour by our heroes.
    Just like other performers, pro athletes deserve at least some privacy off the court. And fans deserve to live in the dream that all baddy players are as racketman 123 describes them above. :eek:.

4. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    That could happen, you are quite right. But honestly, I think badminton players do a lot of good off court that may be unknown to many, and I see this thread a chance to spread that knowledge and the genuine good work that the players do, but also extremely rare chance of something negative.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think greater than 99.9% of the badminton players I have seen on TV and off camera have been decent!!

6. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    A number of Danish players and Lin Dan behave quite badly on court.

Chen Long is one of my favourite players for court etiquette, if he gets beaten hard like with a net tape shot or deception, he just sort of has this enormous grin on his face like "That was amazing".

I don't really like focusing on the negatives, I find it a huge shame and an event let down when the players behave badly.

7. vittorio790

vittorio790 Regular Member

I dont mean to pry into personal life of the badminton players. just more of if i was courtside at a tournament, what i would see that i might not see in the youtube videos. For example, player x might have given/thrown his racket/shirt to someone in the crowd but i might not know that because the video will be replaying the good shots of the game.

I guess there might be negative and positive aspects to their behavior, so lets stick to the positive. I saw Michael Fuchs play once and he was very cheerful and after the match, when he was walking past the spectator area, he waved to his supporters and offered to throw his wristband to them. I probably would not have seen that on youTube because it was not tv court and not yet quarter finals.

8. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, I like that. The way they appeal to the crowd, saying thanks and wave to us. There are also promotional activities like giving things to the crowd (experienced Tai Tzu Ying throwing Tyonex stuff like handbands to the crowd), having photos with the fans, or giving out handshakes and signatures (I had my shirt signed by Nova Widianto)

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    This must be in that 0.1% then! :D

[video=youtube;1blBwuQ_O_g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1blBwuQ_O_g[/video]

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

It's on the court, so it's okay. :D

11. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Oh Please! Enough with this nonsense.

The truth is,Lin Dan is one of the most friendly badminton players that every pro will love to play with without a second thought.

Just watch his Sudirman cup match with Zwiebler this year,and see how classy and dignified he was.Can't get any better than that........

Even challanged the line call on behalf of HKV Vittinghus,can it get any better???

Always speaks about his rivals with utmost respect.Has never claimed that he is the best.

He was suffering from fever and diarrhoea but still played for his Chinese fans during CBSL....

Just 1-2 incidents where he was provoked doesn't mean that he is bad person on the court.

12. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Please, lets's get back to the positives.
    It is nice to hear these stories of those who have witnessed kind actions. :)