BG 80 power vs Exbolt 63

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Niceshot, May 8, 2022.

1. Niceshot

Niceshot New Member

Which one is more durable from BG80 power and Exbolt 63? I have always used the BG 65ti and is looking to upgrade to one with more power. I smash a lot so I prefer a more durable one. Thanks!

2. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

Comparisons I've read have either said they have the same durability or the XB63 is slightly less durable, though the difference should be negligible depending on how low your tensions are. If you're stringing at 26lbs or lower, durability shouldn't be much of an issue with either string.

Niceshot likes this.
  3. Shamwow

Shamwow Regular Member

Can't go wrong with the exbolt 63. Great repulsion, great sound, feels great and it sounds great. Durability is excellent too. I tried BG80 and Li Ning no.1 and it's my favourite out of the bunch.

4. OxBox

OxBox New Member

Does anyone with experience of both, say, BG80 and XB63, have recommendations for tensions?
    Say you prefer BG80@26 lbs, what tension would you string the same racket using XB63?

precrime3 likes this.
  5. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I'd probably string tigher on the xb63 by a pound. I used bg80 exclusively before switching over to exclusive xb63. The thinner gauge and more repulsion can be unsettling at first, shuttles fly off the string.

My review of the string here:

BadmintonDave, ucantseeme and OxBox like this.
  6. OxBox

OxBox New Member

Thanks, I'm asking, because Ashaway suggest reducing tension, when going to a thinner string.
    I'll take a look at the video!

7. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    It seems that they are taking into consideration the physics of thick vs thin strings, which I know nothing about. I am only factoring in the performance of the two strings in my experience, and have said that I would string 1 pound tighter than bg80 primarily because of the enhanced repulsion. Interesting table tho, never seen it before

8. OxBox

OxBox New Member

So you are reducing repulsion by stringing tighter - interesting.
    Dropping tension, as Ashaway suggests, would produce a much more repulsive stringbed, I guess.
    I wonder if that is the design intention. Have you tried going with less tension?

9. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I have. I played normally at 24 pounds, and have used exbolt 63 basically since it was launched. I now play at 28, incrementally increasing the string tension as my consistency and quality meet my standards

10. MikaelK

MikaelK Regular Member

IT Network engineer
    That is the very physics of string-tension....

Lowering tention results in higher repulsion/less control = you are able to shoot longer with less power, but are not able to direct your shot with high precision

Higher tension means less repulsion but higher control = you need to have better technic to shoot to the rear of court, but you have better control of the direction of the shot.

That is not a "design intention" from Ashaway, but pure physics applicable to all brand of any given string.

That is why a beginner i recommended a lower tension, while pros are often using much higher tensions.
    The pros has the proper technique to generate the power to the shot, and will benefit from the higher control.
    The beginner struggle from start to generate enough power to be able to reach the rear, thus helped by the softer stringing. However, that cones with the cost of less control...

Between thicker and thinner strings, the thicker string at X lbs would have a certain stiffness to the feel.
    Stringing a thinner string to same tension would in most circumstances result in a "softer" feeling, as the thinner string do stretch a tiny bit more on impact.
    So to maintain same feeling/stiffness when switching to a thinner string, it is normal to string 1 or 2 lbs higher.

Sendt fra min SM-G991B med Tapatalk

#10 MikaelK, May 17, 2022
    Last edited: May 17, 2022
  11. OxBox

OxBox New Member

Hi MikaelK

Thanks for the input.

I understand the physics, but was wondering, if it does not defeat the purpose, if we just string a more repulsive string (e.g., Exbolt), to the same “feeling of stiffness” as a less repulsive string (e.g., BG80), since we are effectively defeating the design intention of the string (i.e., to be more repulsive)?

Or are there other properties of the strings, beside repulsion, that distinguish them, if they are strung to the same “feeling of stiffness”?

12. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I kindly disagree here. First of all it really depends which string you are using and comparing and such simplified rules of thumb are seldom helpful, because material, structure and coating are never always the same and it is not as simple as you say because we are not talking about a single piece of material, we are talking about different compounds, different material molds at different diameter.

E.g. I could use BG65 at tensions which are so high, that I binned rackets. On the other hand there are hard feeling strings like G-tone5 which I need to string lower than anything else before. If I would follow your rule of thumb, I need to string a G-tone5 higher than a BG65, which sounds according to my feelings insane and from my experience totally wrong.

Also interesting is this site which measures the DT of different strings.

https://errbadmintonrestring.sg/string-list/

Pretty interesting if we look for an example at Li-Ning No.3 which has a much higher DT number at lower tension than No.7 at higher tension. Same for VBS 66 vs VBS 70. And same for BG65 vs. BG66 Ultimax. So it is the opposite of your explanation that we need to string thinner strings lower than thicker strings.

I'm also not happy with the pro player argumentation. There are tension differences even in the same gender and disciple up to 8 lbs, even all of them must have a superb technique and I would never ever say that any of them is struggling with control. It seems not to be so simple and more complex than your theory want to tell us.

I also observed that if I use very low tension (factory strung rackets) I can't generate any power and it seems it got absorbed by the strings, which also speaks against this rule loose strings means more power and I'm far away from beeing a pro player.

Gupvis, speCulatius, Dlee and 4 others like this.
  13. MikaelK

MikaelK Regular Member

IT Network engineer
    Hi ucantseeme,

Please let me stand corrected, with my very simplified explanation... it is by all means not based on, or to be submitted as, a theory of how all strings can be compared. I don't have any degree in physics, but is only a self-taught local small club-stringer.
    And I might have mis-interpreted OxBox's question, and the thoughts behind, and just wanted to give a relatively light explanation of the result of either lower or raise the tension of any given string.. within the designed working-area . It might have been too simplified.

I am aware that different strings does come with different properties like you highlighted, and that a direct comparison of "feeling" can't be made directly between as example a BG65 and G-Tone5... or even optain same feeling, just by stringing the one with higher/lower tension than the other.

My answer was alone based upon my practical approach as I do it, stringing for the local club-members, when I guide a player that like to try another string than maybe the usual bg65 into a bg66um... what tension should he aim for at this first attempt?
    If he normally get 25 lbs with bg65, i would suggest him to try a tad higher on the bg66um, to not "overshoot" the backcourt at once, then adjust from there.

In regards to the "beginner/pro"-comparison, I do stand by my perception, that a beginner rarely will have the proper technique/ability to clear to backcourt with a 28 lbs without getting injured in the long run.. simply because he/she would try to compensate for lack of technique with muscular power.. hence recommending to not string too high tension for beginners, until they develop their technique.
    I am fully aware that being a "pro" or league-player does not mean you automatically request high +30 lbs tensions. My point was, that those who do, does it for the added control they can get, when they do possess the technique to generate the power without as much repulsion from the string.

Lastly, I don't disagree on the factory strung rackets... the low tensions some of those comes with are so low that the string is not stretched into its designed working-tension. So no argue there ;)

Btw. Thank you for the link to the errbadmintonrestring-site. Very complete overview and comparison of a lot of strings.
    Wasn't familiar with the term Dynamic Tension (DT), so definately learned something new today.

#13 MikaelK, May 24, 2022
    Last edited: May 24, 2022
    ucantseeme likes this.
  14. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I'm also a stringer and from my practical experience and also on this board durability is a characteristic which you can't ignore, when you serve clients. Practical I never had anybody complaining that the string has too much power, mostly people are not happy with the durability when it comes to thinner strings. So my priority is to advise and educate them what this means how often they must restring and most people are not happy with frequent restringing very few weeks. Also I would advise them which string I would recommend them because shifting to a different model has always a reason.

IMO a very important part of badminton is controlling the shuttle. If clients are not able to hit it in, it is not my task to increase the tension up to a degree to land in. And which shot should I take as reference.? The lift in the front court, the high clear, the punch clear? The shot when you are under pressure or in relaxed position? The forehand or backhand? Longline or cross court?

If you need to compensate the repulsion of thinner strings by adding tension there is no advantage to switch, just disadvantages at all and your clients end up with shorter durability. I would always string lower, when the gauge decrease and if I need to state this roughly in numbers I would decrease 1lbs per 0,02mm reduced gauge and additional would add or lower 1lbs if it is a hard or softer to medium feeling string and from which string they are coming. Anything else only lead to injuries and unhappy clients and kill the advantage when you go thinner.

Cheung likes this.
  15. Budi

Budi Regular Member

there is alot of factor that affect power but exbolt are thinner string which are more repulsive, mean easier power (still need to know is it really the string or the tension or technique itself that are the problem)
    and durability also complicated to tell. Exbolt are again, thin string so its less durable but again, miss hit could also snap a fresh new string in one go.

Trying yourself are the best thing to do. Experience it yourself, feel it yourself, & judge it yourself.

16. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

Exbolt 63 has insane repulsion due to 63 mm but I hate the sound and slice.
    BG 80 has good in every aspect and the best for slicing between those 3.
    No. 1 is the cheapest of all 3 but if you compare ofc no.1 is the lowest here.
    Durability Exbolt 63< BG 80 < No.1

17. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

I'd say the sound is subjective, but personally the metallic sound just isn't for me. Repulsion is indeed incredible with exbolt, and I agree that compared to bg80, slicing isn't as great. While BG80 is my preferred string, I snap it way too often. Exbolt makes a good enough replacement, and it certainly lasts longer.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

18. ichibandaiichi

ichibandaiichi Regular Member

Hi its time for me to change my strings, what tension should i string bg80 if i have been using 28x26 for aerosonic all this time?

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    28 x 27 and then adjust subsequent restrings according to your preference. It’s never going to be right the first time.

20. ichibandaiichi

ichibandaiichi Regular Member

ok thanks, any idea how these 2 compare?