BG66, NBG98 & BG55 All now in the UK

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by LD rules!, Mar 25, 2010.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

hi guys

I thought I would give you some good news, (or bad depends on what you think).
    Yonex gave introduced some new strings to the UK market, two of which I am sure most of you are quite familar with (BG66, NBG98) these are now available to the UK Market as of April.
    These for people unaware of what they consist of are:
    BG66 this string is 0.66mm and very popular in Asia, I have place a preorder on these strings.
    NBG98 again this string is 0.66 however is the most expensive string. It was originally a JP coded string so it being now available in the UK is probaly good news.
    BG55 this Is not a typo, BG55 appears to be a new string introduced 0.69mm same diamater as NBG95, but I presume cheaper alternative.
    I personally will be trying the BG66 as I was going to order from Asia, but no need now. New shirts as well available. As well as the new rackets.
    Source www.yonex.co.uk

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Nice one - it's about bloody time BG66 and NBG98 got here:p. I don't know anything about BG55 - it has come totally out of left field AFAIK. Going purely by the thickness I'd say it was a replacement for the old BG63, which went out of production a few months ago.

I see the Yonex UK site now also carries the Arc 8DX and 008. 8 DX is rated "Extra Stiff" - anyone smell pork?:D

#2 Mark A, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

correct me if i am wrong mark, but BG63, the thickness was around 0.74mm wasnt it ? Cause this is what i think it said in the 08/09 book which i still have

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

All sources I've read quoted .73, but I'm happy to "agree to disagree", as I never touched it with a bargepole anyway - it's fodder for bottom-end, factory strung Argos rackets:D.

I'm wondering how long this new stuff will take to filter to actual retailers - I've yet to an 8DX for sale anywhere over here, for example. I'm also wondering if Yonex has timed all this to coincide with the arrival of the Li Ning stuff (wouldn't put it past them:p).

5. jediwannabe

jediwannabe Regular Member

Software Engineer
  6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

7. ralph_lee

ralph_lee Regular Member

BG66 is famous in Asia and it is very good.
    Medium feeling and good repulsion on smash, therefore is good for net play too.

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

yes sorry, it's .73mm anyway I wouldn't consider using them. Phoned local stockist last night, all the 2010/2011 stuff will be instore within the next two weeks. My strings broke, but I decided to leave my racket with the stringer until they have BG66 in stock, hopefully I will be first one of the first to use it overhere.
    I had planned to order it from MBS around new year, but decided not to, no need now though.

#8 LD rules!, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  9. Enig.Ma

Enig.Ma Regular Member

From reading your posts, I recall that your mum hates you restringing your rackets. She will really hate you, when you use bg-66. Just letting u know.

However, that said. My gf uses bg-66 and it lasted her 6 months. I have a few friends on bg-66 and its not even frayed (5mos+).
    I use bg-66, and I get ~10 hours of use on it.

10. lukasek97

lukasek97 Regular Member

Should I wait for them instead of buying Arc Z-Slash

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Its your choice my freind, but i think the Arc8dx, which has just been realesed n the UK is a better choice, for 90%, of users than the z slash. It is also cheaper.
    @Enig.ma yeah i know BG66 will break easier, but it has better performance, and is thinner, (i like thin strings) i wonder if they will ever introduce BG85 over here in the UK

12. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Don't worry about him, BG66 will be fine as long as you hit the shuttle properly and avoid hitting the odd spots (meaning places which gives a mishit feel, you'll know it when you hit it accidentally).

We can tell by now that he's a King of Mishits from his guzzling and needless spending on killing BG66s (Melbourne is cold and dry; basic common sense will tell him to switch to a more durable string). 10 hours is very senselessly short and he's certainly either spamming as usual or is currently being hated by his superiors who buy his equipment for him (including his mom as how he poked at you just now).

I have friends who play constantly at a higher level than me and can have their BG66 last them for a month. Technique is definitely more important to consider in this case.

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Well my technique I think is pretty good I think, it took me about 5 months to break, BG80 @24lbs so I think it will he about the same with BG66, seriously 10hrs? Were you playing at 30+ tension, or are you unable to hit the sweetspot on the strings?
    Btw the link didn't give me anything.:eek:

14. Blitzzards

Yes, admittedly as I can quote from ants, "I'm not THAT good a player, it's just that I'm adapted to using high string tensions". I used to play constantly with a racquet strung at BG80 at 24lbs which lasted me more than 6 months (it eventually became useless to me when I started to adapt to higher string tensions, thus I cut the strings which still looked very new and had it restrung), so if that can last you for 5 months then BG66 should be fine and last you probably 1 to 2 months. You will certainly improve by time and your consistency in hitting the sweetspot will also increase, I trust.

You'll have to be logged in to access that link I'm afraid ;)

15. Enig.Ma

Enig.Ma Regular Member

HAAHAHAHA, give me a few days and i'll show you a picture which shows a snapped string right in the centre :rolleyes:

Just FYI, I'm pretty sure i'm one of those who plays constantly at a higher level than you because I didn't see you at the uni games? I was on my uni's team by the way - the uni which took #1 for badminton :D. Not good enough to play for your uni? and you're rambling about using really high tensions? Listen kid, buying rackets and gripping them like Lin Dan will not make you play like him :).

16. Enig.Ma

Enig.Ma Regular Member

hehe, no on the contrary. I string at 27lbs, and I always hit at the same spot that's why it frays then snaps -- rest of the stringbed shows no sign of wear. The spot is right in the middle, and about 8 strings from the top.

17. Enig.Ma

Enig.Ma Regular Member

18. Blitzzards

I don't even have to be on the uni team and I'm earning more money than you can; I'm doing well with my other commitments and with them I can budget and pay for more badminton equipment than you can afford by playing for your uni. I'm already beyond you when it comes to maturity and practicality.

Obviously I'm seeing green and smell jealousy, SPAM. Disgusting.