BG80 breakage

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by UkPlayer, Jan 20, 2023.

1. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I've had BG80 break on me twice quickly after restring due to mishit, this has never happened before, usually lasts 2-3months. I'm stringing at 27lbs. Stringer is pretty good. Don't know whether this is just a bad batch of BG80, but think I'll move to another string, maybe a thicker one, any advice?

2. Kuantrz

Kuantrz Regular Member

It could just be you mishitting harder/worse than before. How/where does it break?

BG65 Titanium is one of the more durable strings. Worth a try but I would string it 1-2 lbs harder than BG80.

3. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Top of the frame, both were heavy hits but nothing has change much about my game.

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

BG80 gets really brittle with colder temperatures. Even more so when the string is fresh on the racket and didn’t have time to settle yet. I see the same thing around here over the winter. One mishit can be enough to kill a fresh set of BG80, even at 24 lbs.

Another thing to look for are the grommets, especially around 12 o‘clock. Never hurts to change them every once in s while, even if they still look undamaged.

A more robust alternative could be NBG95 or Li-Ning No.5 - but both are very different in terms of texture and hitting feel.

#4 s_mair, Jan 20, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    UkPlayer and thyrif like this.
  5. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Yeah I was thinking it could be because of the weather, although really the only place it could have been particularly cold is in the boot of the car. Grommets were replaced by the stringer after the last break so :confused: I think I might go for Ashaway zf 69 as I used it before and it was rock solid if less nice than bg80.

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

What temperatures do you have in the hall? From my experience it's enough to go below 20°C to get an effect.
    ZM69F is one of the most durable strings I have ever touched. So that is a dead safe option that should last you a long time imo.

7. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Definitely below 20, don't know 15-18 maybe. Yes sounds like it probably would be this then.

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

maybe 20°C was a bit extreme, but if you're around 15, you'll definitely get an effect.

9. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    :( 3x now, that's twice in a crucial point in a match. Definitely going to have to switch from my beloved BG80. Down to one racket now, never happened before. Felt quite cold in that hall.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Now that is still very odd. Is that the first winter that you are using BG80?

Any chance you can get your hands on a set of Gosen G-Tone 5? That could be an interesting option too. Overall a lot closer to BG80 than ZM69F and from what I see not that much affected by colder temperatures.

11. Noisettex

Noisettex New Member

Ashaway 68 TX is a Real option for remplace bg80.
    And realy more durability

12. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    No but it's been particularly cold this winter and I'm doing more matches at the moment, so I think more opportunity for breakage when I'm going hard at it out of position so more opportunity for mishits. It was actually the same shot that caused it, hard smash out of position right at the top of the frame. I'm getting them restrung with the 69f so I'll find out soon enough. My stringer does me a good deal compared to other stringers usually 3 restrings cost me what 2 would do anywhere else.

s_mair and Cheung like this.