BG80 breaking too fast

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by swang, Jan 13, 2018.

1. swang

swang Regular Member

Student
    Hey, I am an intermediate-advanced player. I play 4-5 times a week for 2+ hours each time. I am currently using a 4U Z-Force 2 as well as a 3U Arcsaber 11. I string both these rackets with BG80 at 27lbs for the Arcsaber 11 and 28lbs for the Z-Force 2. In the past week, I have broken my strings six times all after approximately 2-4 hours of play. I am currently unsure as to why my strings are breaking so fast as they have lasted me around 2 weeks before. I am using a spool I bought online, I am not sure if it is fake but the strings have lasted a decently long time up until around the end of December where the fast-breaking started. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: If the string is the problem, what other string do you suggest I use? I use BG65 for training but I change it for tournaments.

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

It's winter, that's why. It's colder, so the strings break faster. You could switch for the season if it's bothering you. BG80P or NBG99 are good options if you want to keep alive a little feedback from the strings. If you want ultimate durability go for BG65.

3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

ZFII
    IMO the string on compact frame break earlier. Especially in the winter. How do you store your rackets? Garage? Do you go by bicycle to training or keep them in the trunk when you go to work before training? This are the main culprit during winter. If not, I recommend to lower the tension. I also do it during winter and drop 2lbs.

Inspect the rackets. If there not much wear and tear, you strings died due a mishit or due the cold weather.

swsh likes this.
  4. khoimun

khoimun Regular Member

the weather is too dry... thats why string breaks easier... I remember an interview of Fu Haifeng, he said that during one of the korea open with Cai Yun, he broke all 10 racket strings that he brought there. They won the competition by he using Cai Yun's racket in the end.

ucantseeme likes this.
  5. swang

swang Regular Member

Student
    Thanks, currently I have one racket with the stringer's own strings, I did this to test whether my strings are the problem or something else. I will get back to you guys after some more play.

6. ucantseeme

ZFII
    Can you share the interview? :)

7. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

I had similar experience last year with one of my regular customer, ZF2 3U @ 27lb, string snapped in 2-3 days, 2-4 hrs of play. First I thought my reel of 8 months old ZF69 (since bought) was the culprit, changed to 3-4 different kind of new strings, YY, Victor, Gosen.... Then I suspected the climate as the badminton hall is not ventilated, can be as low as 5 deg C in winter; tried lower the tension by 2 lbs, I once even suspect he has developed a new hitting strokes which kills string in no time; nothing seems to be working, at last I changed all the grommets and viola.......problem solved. I normally change the grommets that are split or damage by eye inspection, but somehow some damages on grommets just slip though or beyond visual inspection can do. My advice is to change on regular basis, after 2-4 string jobs may be.

Okaharu and Cheung like this.
  8. khoimun

khoimun Regular Member

watch it some years ago.. unable to find it anymore

9. Shuttlingus

Shuttlingus Regular Member

Inspect your grommets, particularly if you notice that the string is breaking in the same place(s). Given that you play very frequently and have your racket restrung often i expect your grommets to have experienced a fair bit of wear.

If your stringer is experienced then they will keep an eye on the state of your grommets for you, but it might still be worth mentioning this to them.

10. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I faced a similar issue not long ago. Change stringers for one job and use the exact same specs as before. If it solves the issue, you have your answer. Mine was some issue with his fixed clamp. Broke GT5, Bg80, 80p, Aerobite and Li Ning No.1 in a day before I changed back. Didn't face the issue again with same tension, similar ping and same strings (same racket ofc).

He has now changed his fixed clamps and I don't have that issue anymore with any thin strings. Could be something similar with you and I wouldn't necessarily rule it out.

Of course check grommets regularly as mentioned in the previous post.

#10 swsh, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  11. ucantseeme

ZFII
    I agree. I change all single pass grommets at the 12o'clock position on every job and flare them slightly. I want to add that trimming the grommets can create sharp edges. It mustn't be the stringers job. Just how he cut the grommets for this section which is mostly the position where the string goes...

#11 ucantseeme, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    swsh likes this.
  12. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

If people are saying it may be dry strings, would it make sense to try and steam your strings?