British cyclist fell on purpose to restart race - but they can KEEP gold medal

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by jdileo, Aug 3, 2012.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Your mistaken it is not the IOC that makes the rules for the individual sports. "Not using best efforts" is not i repeat not an Olympic rule. Cycling has no such rule along with alot of other sports.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

interesting story and comparison..

relatively the same "motive"..

calculated risk, fortunate they won (and get to keep the Gold)..imagine if they restarted, and still lost after getting all bruised up & gotten floor burns..

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Your mistaken it is not the IOC that makes the rules for the individual sports. "Not using best efforts" is not i repeat not an Olympic rule. Cycling has no such rule along with alot of other sports

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Sorry about the duplicate posts, seemed to be a problem posting reply.

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    olympic spirit? that's long gone! now it's all about brands and their endorsements!

6. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Smells of hypocracy and bias to me if the articles are accurate, but I know nothing about Cycling, so can't make any concrete judgments.

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Why does it smell of hypocracy? one sport has one set of rules the other another set of rules.

8. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

I need a little help to answer your question as I don't know what the rules are exactly in Cycling. Is it against the rules to pre-plan a fall to secure a restart? Would it be a cause for dismissal if they can prove the pre-plan fall?

9. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I was wondering when some lowlife scumbag was going to come along and try to make this a racial issue. Get lost, go crawl back under the rock you slithered out from under.

#29 thunder.tw, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  10. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

the only reason for the restart allowed is because the 'clash' was due to a mechanical fault at the start (i.e. technical error).
    the referee has to satisfied himself indeed that was the case before he can call for a restart.

it doesn't matter what that 19 years old said afterward, it's all the referee's decision.

11. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Can I get the article with the "mechanical fault", i just read the DailymailUK article which may not be the best source.

12. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

I saw it on the TV from the cyclist 'experts'. I'm sure you can google it.

13. sugianto

sugianto New Member

student
    Just checked this and FIFA already cleared the "coach" because not enough proof for disciplinary proceedings. Hmmm. No wonder in the match JPN put effort on moving the ball until in front of opponent goalpost, except for not enough effort (if any) to put it in. Another unsportswomanship here, but FIFA might have different set of rule. The reason (according to Nadeshiko coach) : if they win, they will have to travel by bus 8 hours to Scotland just before the match without a rest. If they didn't win, the match will be in the same place so enough time for resting.
    Either way the opponent is equally hard whether they win or not, either France and Brazil, but they took Brazil. I can't fully accept the reasoning here, on the other hand why FIFA need the winner of that particular match to travel for along time while giving incentive to the loser to stay in the same place. Anyway, I won't comment more in this soccer fiasco on badminton forum.

EDIT : fiasco -> soccer fiasco

#33 sugianto, Aug 3, 2012
  14. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Anyways it smells of Hypocracy because in both instance there was an incentive to manipulate the system in order to obtain better outcomes. I would assume that pre-planning a fall would constitute a DQ, if it can be proven there was a pre-planning as opposed to accidental. But as I have said I am unsure about the rules, customs of Cycling.

Further more according to the article above it says:
    "Asked if they would look at the result, IOC communications director Mark Adams said: 'At present there are no plans to do so. Our view is that people were not deprived of a contest."
    If the 19yo statement is proven true, then indeed they were deprived of the real contest, it just happens that the badminton one was more obvious and cycling contest incident was not noticed by the fans.

So in my view the two instances are identical, except for the consequences of manipulating the system and the view IOC took on the different sports.

15. sugianto

sugianto New Member

student
    Guys, please use hypocrisy instead of hypocracy here:). Geez, i saw it numerous time here to the point I need to check my dictionary.

16. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Look anything in any sport including cycling that I know of, if you don't protect the integrity of the sport then it is punishable if found guilty by the association that regulates that sport, in this case the international cycling union. So if it was a pre planned fall(not sure why would do that) and their were many complaints from the crowd, officials, others within the sport(coaches, players) and mainly the referee then that could flip that situation into bringing the sport into desrepute and a dismissal may be carried out especially if it had been an ongoing contention in the sport that everyone was aware of, gave a big advantage and was actually outright stated in their code of conduct.
    In this case none of this happened. A jokey interview after the event completed caused this not what happened in the event. If you watch the event it might help.

17. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

I did see the event, but I couldn't tell you if the fall was accidental or on purpose. Which is why that statement makes all the difference. According to the article:

"He said after winning gold: 'We were saying if we have a bad start, we need to crash to get a restart. I just crashed, I did it on purpose to get a restart, just to have the fastest ride. I did it. So it was all planned, really.'

which I think answers your question of "not sure why would do that"

I am sure if the fans knew the intention behind the fall, they would be equally dismayed about the restart, but unlike badminton it isn't noticeable so there is no fuss.

#37 V1lau, Aug 3, 2012
  18. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Yes Sir, Sorry Sir, Won't happen again Sir :)

19. sugianto

sugianto New Member

student
    I completely agree with this. Let's not let media make us confused. Some of us (if not all of us) watched "that" WD game therefore able to make a personal judgement. I only saw the soccer match so I only made comment on it in the previous page. I neither watch this cycling match nor have the time to find and watch it so no comment.

20. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I don't know why people making fuss of "not to use the best effort"?
    that's what they used to disqualify them
    what do you prefer? accused for match fixing? even worse!
    they use soft words, and people attack them
    do not eat what they said easily

I almost paid the damn £95 (465rm, 120 euro, 149USD, 1.4 mill IDR) to watch that crappy show
    I would be really angry if I paid that much and I saw the world ranking number 1 WD playing like 7 years old kid trying to play badminton for the first time
    that's just so disrespectful to the crowd

do not compare badminton with other sports
    this is badminton, we have our own rules, this is the first time it happens

if these things happens to football, fencing, cycling or whatever, it doesn't mean it is acceptable
    it does not mean badminton incident this time is better than them
    it is still bad, we cannot and should not deny this

BWF round robin rule is wrong, but the pairs who took the chance are also wrong
    I am Indonesian, and I got angry even for the Indonesian pair

so you guys should know that Jacques Rogge (president of IOC) is sighted in the stadium 1 hour prior the incident (KOR VS CHN WD)
    imagine how disgraceful it is for badminton to show the president of olympic committee a game like that?
    do you prefer BWF disqualify the player for "not using the best effort"
    or do you want IOC to say. badminton is not a sport, it is disgraceful, and we will not going to have badminton in olympic?

#40 Avenger, Aug 3, 2012