Buying a new racket and confused!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by knajills, May 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. knajills

knajills Regular Member

My old Muscle Power 23 broke a few weeks ago and I badly need a new racket. Problem is I don't know what to get. I am a pretty strong badminton player. I can hit pretty good smashes and good drops. MP23 was my baby. :crying:

It's time for me to move on and I need a new racket. I am looking at Yonex, Victor and Kason. From these rackets I have no idea what to choose.

I was interested in Yonex's VT80, and VTZF. If there is any you would like to suggest, I would appreciate it.

Which Kason is good? is Meteor

And finally to Victor... I want a bravesword but there is so much and I don't know if it can par with VTZF's smash. What about Meteor X80

Sorry for the long plea for help :p SOOOOOOOOOO CONFUSED!

2. knajills

knajills Regular Member

Oh if it helps, when I drop I do the fancy slice drops and when I smash I pronate my arm.

3. biggybil

biggybil Regular Member

badminton
    lol you seems overwhelmed with the current market offering, but from what i can see of your pre selection you like ot hit hard... all those racket that you mention are for hard hitters....

so first thing i would ask is what do you play most... double .. single.. etc...

then second is what do you want to play as... a hard hitter or a controlled setup player...

once you have those answer it should be easier for you to chose the right racket for you... and even then not all racket are made the same so you will have to if possible try them out to have a feel and see what suits you best...

good luck

4. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

UK coach Paul's racket REVIEWS might help ... and don't miss THIS article.

PS: Isn't the MP23 you loved so much a medium flex racket for people seeking good control? Then maybe have a look at the Voltric 70 and Victor Meteor 60, if you seek something with good control, medium flex & a good smash. The cheaper Voltric 5 might be worth a look too.

And forget the VTZF ... that's a beast ;)

#4 Aymara, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  5. knajills

knajills Regular Member

I want to eventually play Singles, but the club I play at I always play doubles. I would rather want to play with a racket known for singles. I know how to control the shuttle fairly well and I adjust very well with new rackets.

As for buying well known brands... not really. It is just that I am afraid of buying rackets that are not marketed globally. If you are aware of any rackets like Yang-Yang or etc. I will willing to search through them. Like I said I am sort of hesistant to buy a permenant racket that is not really famous.

@Aymara, thanks will check it out

6. biggybil

biggybil Regular Member

badminton
    IF single is your game then you would want a head heavy racket so most of what you are look at are perfect... they will kill you in double but should be ok if you condition your arm for it and have proper technique..

I use VTZF for single and MX80 for double

that's pretty much the best of both world .. for me that is.. other will prefer other brand... give the thread some time and more wil reply... they are all at work or in class at the moment so not going to reply to you lol

7. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    You're a hard hitter using a medium flex even balance racket. The ZF might be too much of a transition for you. Maybe a VT70 or a VT80~

8. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

The VT70 or a Meteor X60 might be a good compromise ... useful for singles and doubles.

Regarding other brands ... I was a Babolat fan for years. The Babolat Satellite Essential might be very similar to your old Muscle Power ... only a slight head heaviness, more balanced and medium flex ... and a real beauty ;)

9. knajills

knajills Regular Member

Hmm... okay. I have been playing for a number of years and even volunteered to coach students. I want to get a really good racket and I am using www.e78.com.hk
    The prices there are similar after exceeding $130. The Voltrics, arcsaber etc. are similar in price (unless one buys JP). So, I really want to get the "bang for the buck." I want to step out of beginner and intermediate rackets and start a new chapter in Badminton (although, ultimately it will be the player who controls the racket and so it depends if the player is good).

10. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

A further reason to have a look at Babolat. But be warned ... they only have one grip size, that's similar to Yonex G4. If you prefer thicker grips, many Victor rackets with G3 grip size might make you happy.

But also the Voltric 5 is highly underrated ... though signed as intermediate it can compete with many pro rackets in my opinion ... compare Paul's review.

Overall I think you should look for an allrounder racket with slight head heavyness ... I don't think, you would be happy with a stiff racket like the VT80. But only YOU can tell, what's the right racket ... after you tried it.

11. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

You mentioned the Braveswords, but they're not really geared towards smashing (which is why nobody's recommending them).

12. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

Aren't many pros playing Braveswords? That's got to have a reason ;)

13. irwan_kho

irwan_kho Regular Member

Account
  14. knajills

knajills Regular Member

Yes, I was thinking about that too because Korea's men's double just won the All England with Victor. Lee Yong Dae with the Bravesword and Jung Jae Sung with the Meteor. I know that the racket doesn't shape how one plays but it certainly does affect them.

15. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

The Braveswords are a great range of rackets, but from the description in the OP, a racket suited to smashing would be preferred.

16. knajills

knajills Regular Member

What would you compare these rackets to? And I can buy this from Canada because they are having a BIG sale right now, and then pick it up from my Uncle :)