BWF CALENDAR 2018

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by cxytdn, Jul 21, 2017.

1. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I think BWF really need to give names to these world tour levels.
    Or at least we can name them ourselves, from the audience perspectives and keep calling them GP/GPG/SS/SSP (and SS Elite ?)
    So in the future we will still say 'LCW has won 50 SS titles' or 'LYD has the most SS titles in MD'.

2. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I like the fact that there can be 1 day less in the tournament; from players' perspective, it means they can still have training at the main hall on Tuesday instead of in Monday, and at least have the choice to join the practice or not if they went to the final in 1st tournament at back2back week (trade-off between practice or rest).

I don't see many benefits in term of cost though. I mean it obviously is there, but these big tournaments have no problem with cost, they are big tournaments anyway. It is the lower tier that will need help to cut cost.

It will somehow helps the high level independent players (e.g. Lee Hyun Il) to cut cost though. Maybe BWF actually expecting more top players becoming independent?

#122 stanleyfm, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  3. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

One big question from me:
    Which level will be used to calculate points for the SSF?

I think it should only be the level 2 and 3 (3 and 5 tournaments respectively, where almost all top players will certainly participate)

#123 stanleyfm, Nov 8, 2017
  4. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    what about level 2: ae, co & io?

5. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

oh sorry, I meant level 2 and 3 hahaa
    you see, the usage of this numbering is confusing.....

6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yes, it gets confusing.

Or we will just call LCW have won 70 titles ( whether its SS or GPG its not important anymore) Its 70 Tour titles if its just called Level 2-6 because if you remembered before SS, 2006 and before, LCW and LD has been winning titles that are not called SS yet (but its at the same level with SS) What i meant is in the end any titles are worthless, if there is no money involved?

Even BWF have headaches naming the title. SO ...probably whatever, the players are only happy with more money. so money makes the world go round.

#126 Yoji, Nov 8, 2017
  7. Master

Master Regular Member

Level 2, 3, and 4. Level 4 included since this level 4 was the superseries. But I didn't find that in the new PDF released.

The clue of that Level 4 are the part of calculation based on:
    • All Top 15 MS/WS players and Top 10 MD/WD/XD pairs are required to play 8 of 8 Tournaments : 3 Tournaments (Level 2) + 5 Tournaments (Level 3)
    • All Top 15 MS/WS players and Top 10 MD/WD/XD pairs are required to play 4 of 7 Tournaments (Level 4).

When we refer to the the tournament which required to play is the one included in SSF points calculation, Level 4 there
    But then the players required are expanded to Top 15 for single players.

We could hope something will be revealed on BWF Council Meeting on November 17, 2017.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The Points Calculation should be without dispute and fair to the professionals who participate.
    Players who enter and play in the tournament should be rewarded even if they fail to advance beyond R1.
    We should acknowledge the effort they put in to train and show up for the competition.

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Malaysia Masters , Indonesia Masters, India Open, Badminton Asia Team Championship in 4 weeks.

Serious chance of injury even at early stage of the year.

Tours should start in February with 2SS tournaments, Abandon the team Championship. Its OK AllEngland start in March.Its better that AE is accompanied with one SS tournament after that too. I mean why is April empty with only AsiaChampionship and May also empty (only ThomasUberCup). SS begin late June again. I still hope they can change the schedule,put India somewhere in the middle like this year. wonder why pack the SS in January instead of March/April/May?

and i saw BCA Indonesia Open start with 1,250,000 USD next year. wow. Of course players wont complain with more prizemoney on offer but fans? getting SS packed will just result in lack of quality?

10. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

you can't abandon the Asia championship for next year because it is also used as qualification for TUC
    I have no problem with the schedule pre-April, but for me, the problem lies the number of tournaments that is compulsory for top players
    They are forced to participate in all SSP and SSP+ (total 8 already), and 4 SS,
    this is why the cramp schedule because too much. Otherwise, it won't be a problem since they won't participate in the cramp schedule

I have to say that I also dislike the free-time in April though. They kinda give too much time for continental championship
    Should be decreased and give more time for World Championship instead, as well as to reduce the 'even more cramp' schedule after WC

11. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I think something big that many people miss out on is there are OTHER non-BWF sanctioned tournaments that go on at the same time that players dare not want to miss and that's possibly why BWF has to adjust their schedule a bit as well. There's the Chinese Badminton League that a lot of top Chinese players play in and even LCW? There's also the Indian League which offers a hefty amount of money to the players as well. There's also some internal tournaments such as the All Japan Championships that decides which players make the National Team in December and as a Japanese player that isn't something you would want to miss. And of course I'm sure there's more and those play a factor as well as you may be missing out on some of the top players in a tournament by having both scheduled at the same time.

samkool likes this.
  12. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Probably aren't allowed to miss.

13. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I thought its much better than Table Tennis? As far as i can remember, total PrizeMoney of TableTennis is only 4-5m US$. And yeah of course Badminton cannot be compared with Football or Basketball which is team sports.

14. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

It is much better, but still not enough. At least, the price money should be larger by the factor of 5 from the current amount (especially for GP/GPG level) to make sure that the top 100 world player can live peacefully as an independent player and give their all at the sport without thinking much about financial issue. That should be the minimum. Imagine, you are the top 100 player in the world, yet your salary from winning is only 1/10 of coaching other local players. This will kill the sport if there is no national team salary at the moment

Table tennis must also try to increase its price money if it really wants to grow

15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think thats too much. Even top 100 in tennis cannot be said they lived comfortably in this era.

Badminton has to survive from national team salary unlike tennis which is individual payed for eveything. Of course isnt that the issue with England now? Do they still have national team after the fiasco?

I would like to see the top 20 players can make at least 100k each year. ( I think thats not the case right)
    But I also wonder if its because there are too many disciplines ? ( Like tennis is predominantly only MS and WS and Nobody cares about the other 3 while Badminton has 5 Sectors.

16. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Yes, and this should be maintained, this different focus on different discipline. They are really players with different expertise also with very different play style between these disciplines. Badminton should not go down like tennis which emphasizes more on singles.

I don't know about tennis though, but I believe my point should be the goal for BWF to ensure the life of players reaching at least top 100: Top 100 should prefer to play internationally rather than coaching locally.
    One issue with tennis is that the distinction of price between tournament levels are such huge that the players at highest tournaments become super rich but not reaching top 100. I guess that is why BWF also make the whole tournmament level with the same name starting next year: World Tour, to ensure the lower tier tournaments have enough exposure as well as a large package of the tour.

I don't really pay attention to the top 20 though since they mainly will have strong sponsor help as well, so it should not be a big problem anyway even with 'just enough' price money

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Its trouble When the WorldChampionship is hold 1 week after the SingaporeOpen.

stanleyfm likes this.
  18. SolsticeOfLight

It needs to remain lucrative enough to keep attracting the best players though.

stanleyfm likes this.
  19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    when it comes to the major teams (china, korea, indonesia, malaysia, japan, thailand, england, denmark and now india) the players are paid a base salary. obviously it varies between players & teams, with some teams even providing food and lodging. prize money is split between the player & their association, which also varies by team. think of it as a salaried job with the chance to earn commission (prize money) and possible bonus endorsements... again, depending on team rules. if you don't produce to a level satisfactory to your bosses after a given amount of time you 'retire.' basically you're fired, like any other job. it's not like the players on the major teams are broke and homeless. they are paid something and getting the opportunity to earn more. in this sense badminton is different than...

tennis & golf are completely self-funded, for the most part. if you don't have any sponsors to cover your major expenses from the beginning it is not an easy road to making millions. the very rare players that are sponsored from the beginning are those who dominated the amateur circuit, which attracted companies to your bandwagon. if you're always losing in the early rounds you won't be getting much from sponsors other than free equipment. the flip side is if you win a lot you get all kinds of sponsor income. it's 2 snowballs rolling down opposite sides of the money hill. all the fans see and hear about are the nadal/federer/tiger woods/spieth/serena williams/sharapova's of the world.

tennis & golf athletes have to win right away to generate income. badminton players are given time and support to work their way up. this doesn't solve, or address, the income disparity. that comes down to bwf and each nat'l association. they have to give corporations/benefactors a reason to give money.

setting aside the differences of income in all sports, they have one thing in common: for the athlete it's a grind.

20. SolsticeOfLight

The national teams have to recoup that base salary, so they enter their players into tournaments that generate revenue for them. In effect it doesn't matter how the system is set up (golf, tennis or badminton), the players will always end up at the tournaments with the most money backing them. The occasional tournament without prize money (eg Olympics) are so lucrative in other ways that they are still worth the trouble.

In other sports you see the Olympics being almost shunned (tennis, football) because the return on investment isn't worth it compared to the money the players are used to seeing.