Can Socks make you play better?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by BadmintonDave, Apr 8, 2022.

1. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

There seems to be some kindof difficulty in England right now getting certain products in common sizes. I needed some more badminton socks and I couldn't find the Yonex socks in the size I like. I don't like the ankle or really low socks, so I tried some Forza branded socks.

I am really impressed. And the price point was either the same or £1 more expensive than the Yonex alternative.

I don't know HOW they've done it, but they didn't need changing after my badminton last night. Sure it was one of the easier groups I go to, but being able to wear the same pair of socks for more than one day in a row is a huge benefit (less washing etc).

I scored maybe 8 points in a game with some really steep and deceptive dropshots and at the end one of the opponents asked "have you been practicing those drops?". I said "no, I've just changed my socks, made my grip smaller on the racquet and have been doing exercises to strengthen my terrible shoulder".

Is it likely these new amazing socks actually make me play better?

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Hhhmmmm.... Never tought that sock could makes one play better.
    The thing that i felt with socks are:
    1. Casual socks
    Its somewhat thin & slippery. My feet moving inside myshoes. Yes this one affect my performance & my feet hurt in the end.
    2. Sport socks
    Its good. Abit thicker than casual socks & prevent movement inside the shoes. Play good with any random brand.
    3. 2 layer socks.
    More comfortable but in beween 1st & 2nd socks are kinda slippery so sometimes my feet slip inside the shoes. Not as bad as casual one but its still slippery.
    4. Extra thick socks.
    More comfortable, no slipping unlike 2 sock. Didnt feel any different on my playability compare to regular sport socks, just more cushioning feel but for long run its somewhat hotter.

Recently i bought some random brand where the thick part are on heel, ankle, & front foot part. The rest are thinner. Let see if it would keep the comfort & not to hot on long run.

3. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

It's definitely the socks! :D

(But seriously, you wear them twice?! I almost need two pairs of socks for each day!)

Tabatchu, Woesi, endFX and 1 other person like this.
  4. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Yep. One thing that bothers me is having wet socks. I used to drive in my badminton shoes, but I have stopped that. If I have to drive for more than 15 minutes after badminton I usually have to change my socks before getting in the car. So change out of the badminton ones and into thin black or thin white ones.

I tend to not overpush myself with exercise. It's a bad trait I have developed.

So for more context, the socks I usually wear are Yonex 19141 ones. They are pretty much the same thickness all throughout. End a little bit above the ankles.

The new socks are "Forza Classic Socks (3 Pack) (Black)". They seem to vary in thickness from the toes to above the ankle. Have a bit of ribbing around the middle of the foot and I think above the heel somewhere. There was barely ANY water or wetness on them when I changed my shoes lastnight.

Looking forward to trying them out on my Sunday group, which is the hardest session for me and I have to push myself.

5. lurker

lurker Regular Member

decathlon 'artengo' socks worked well for me...
    they also do not get loose as quick as Yonex branded ones

Attached Files:

6. om patel

om patel Regular Member

No , but the laces do for sure

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    They can certainly make you play worse.