Canadian Engineers Read This ! Help!~

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by schuweiz, Aug 10, 2006.

1. schuweiz

schuweiz Regular Member

I'm not sure this is the appropriate posting but I need assistant from you guys.

I am an engineering student of Memorial University and I am currently seeking for an Engineering Co-op Work Term. I had applied to more than 25 companies for this work term and yet I still have no reply from anyone of them, not even an interview! If anyone out there who knows any canadian engineering firm is hiring Engineering Co-op Students, please let me know! Thank you!

*note: Kwun, I am sorry for this thread but I guess it's worth a try because I'm having a hard time looking for a work term. My apologies.:eek:

2. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst

you even posted in the wrong area -.-

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    moved to chit-chat.

these off-topic thread must reside in chit-chat, and definitely do not belong to the Equipment forum. this will save us moderators a lot of work.

4. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Maybe you should list your year, specialization in engineering, and which period your coop term runs for so others can give more info. At the U of A, we have a system that shows job listings for us as found by the Coop Department. I don't know how MUN's coop program works but if you are left to find on your own, I'd suggest yahooing or googling up engineering firms as a last option. Often, the bigger engineering companies have job postings just for summer/coop student placements.

As well, from personal experience, I think talking with network contacts or family friends or just acquaintances are often very beneficial in terms of employment.

I'd think there should be plenty of opportunities out in the East, in Ontario and Quebec regions.

Good luck!

5. schuweiz

schuweiz Regular Member

Hugo: Thanks for the reply.

I am Mechanical Engineering student and currently searching for the 3rd Work Term starting from the end of August or early September until mid December. It can be any engineering work term that would indirectly relate to my field of studies. I guess all the Co-op work term works the same as the Co-op office will 'try' to look for a job for you but there are so many people looking for a job in my own term too. I wouldn't say that I am not competitive because I did really well in academia (I am on the latest Dean's List) but it is just awkward that I just do not even get a chance for an interview this term. I thought that I had problems with my resume or something but i went to the Co-op office for assistance but they say everything is fine :( . I've been calling companies in every parts of canada for the last whole week and i hope that I'll get some reply the next week.

I guess my main problem is that I have no network in Canada, no family members living here but i do understand that networking is the most important aspect for getting a job. I have not given up for a job yet ! :cool: but I am just asking if anyone here know there's any opportunity for an engineering work term, please do not hesitate to let me know and I WILL APPRECIATE that. :eek: I have my fingers crossed for a work term :p

6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Have you tried the arms manufacturers in Canada and the U.S.? There is a huge demand for reliable semi and full automatic gas-driven ammunition system :D :D :D The catch word is at least 20,000 rounds before maintenance.

Ohh, forgot to add. The gas system drives a twin (counter-balancing) pistons to reduce recoil . . .

#6 Pete LSD, Aug 12, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2006