Carlton razor v 1.0

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by flyingcords, Apr 3, 2018.

1. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

Hi everybody, can someone do a review of this racquet or at least tell me how is the flexibility of this model. Is it medium stiff or medium flexible ?
    I'm planning to buy one in good condition, but playing with Apacs Virtuoso Performance 1st gen I'm afraid I will find this racquet too flexible and less precise than my Apacs. I still cannot decide if I'm much attracted by stringing it than by playing it. I already have strung one years ago, but I would like to string another one again.

EDIT : sorry I'm not in the right thread, for sure this post has to be moved in the "Badminton Rackets / Equipment" thread.

#1 flyingcords, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Might be the right thread after all. This racket is every stringers nightmare.

thyrif and ucantseeme like this.
  3. flyingcords

Yeah but it's exactly what I like about it : the challenge !

Fidget likes this.
  4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I‘d rather have a racket that plays well than a racket that is a challenge to string. But to each his own. :D

5. flyingcords

I'm not sure I'm gonna buy it just for the challenge. And I don't need a racquet, I'm so happy with my Apacs VP.

6. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

IMG_6252.JPG

The racket is 670mm in length and rated as medium, it felt stiffer than normal medium due to shorter length. The last time i was given a Razor 1.0 for restring (photo), glad that he finally got a pair of Yonex, otherwise i would have to charge him double for his next string job.

snookerman likes this.
  7. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I don't think I'd agree to restring one of these.

8. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    I had the 1.1 briefly but never got round to stringing it. What makes it so challenging? I know it's an asymmetric pattern like the Kinesis, but that's easy enough to plan for once you've done one a few times.

9. flyingcords

I think it's not so challenging, it's just different and takes a longer time. That's why it's a nightmare for professionals (when you string for business, you don't want to lose time or think too much just for a racquet and a stringjob). For stringers who string for passion and fun, this racquet is ...
    FUN !

Fidget likes this.
  10. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

about stringing, the mains are normally ok, the problem is on the starting point of the cross, it is a 50/50 chance you will get it right or wrong if you do not precalculate the over and under of crosses when passing the left and right most main string, if you miss that it will end up like the one in the photo above. I have seen some stringer passed two mains just to make the last string right. it is crucial to have the last main string over the cross string as the string will slip in actual play if the tension is low and the only way to put the string back on court is to use the shoe lace to pull it back. I have seen my friend did it so many times on his racket.

emjay likes this.
  11. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Good point, I forgot about that! So you need to make sure to mount the racket the same way up each time, have the short side on the same side, and always start the bottom crosses either under or over the first main string. That's a lot to remember!

One thing that this highlights is the need to make notes for each pattern you use. Makes it so much easier to refer back next time you get that same racket back :)

12. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

If only you were right .it's actually a 1 in 4 chance to get it right. The racquet is assymmetric from the under/over on the racquet edge, but also matter which side you approach from, because the first side cross goes from a regular grommet to a over/under grommet.

I'm glad the only person I strung this nasty piece of work for got rid of it!

13. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Call me crazy or masochistic, but all these comments makes me want to string one of these bad-boys. :rolleyes:

14. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Masocrazistic

Fidget likes this.
  15. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

No problem, the newer Babolats ''suffer" from a similar problem. They only have a 50/50 instead of the 1 in 4, but at least they actually labelled the starting grommet with a little "Start" marker. So just get your Sharpie out and blackout the marking, give the racquet a twirl and you can still have half the fun! :D

Fidget likes this.
  16. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

i own 3 of the prototypes of the razor... they were aptly names prototype 1.0. lol.. and of 3 2 had slightly different stringing patterns. broke one in a clash, i wall flowered one for its unique string pattern and the other sits not really used too much. they arent hard to string once yo get used to them. owning them helped. lol... but what a throwback. i stopped using them only because i got used to the newer longer rackets with slimmer grips. they were very nice to play with otherwise.

17. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I agree. Racket is 670mm, I would call it medium to medium stiff. Racket feels slightly headlight. I had one customer for years with that. Luckily it died in a clash.:D Mounting, weaving, starting, grommets...everything a pain.

18. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    One of the most comical designs I have ever seen. Anyone with a bit of structural knowledge will know that cutting the outtermost edges of the section will drastically reduce its strength and stiffness couple that with the stresses that are concentrated at that point with the strings - not surprised they broke so easily to be honest!

19. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    If you play with a wellknown Badminton-Reaper every racket will die. ;)

20. flyingcords

I'm planning to buy one just to show my stringing skills to new customers :)

#20 flyingcords, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018