CBA - End of a Golden Era in sight?

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by cobalt, Jun 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I beg your pardon, where did you get that impression from? Certainly not from me as I'm against blind loyalty. I believe the same goes to CBA who takes constructive criticism and practises self-criticism, if I'm not wrong. Anyway, I'm not their spokesman, my humble opinions are formed from my own reading and analyses, eg from Tang Xianhu's words such as (if I may paraphrase from memory) when he said it's not the coach that is super and should be given all the credit but the players themselves willing to work hard and have the right attitude that is key to success, of course, not discounting natural talent which to him is by itself not enough.

Talking about criticisms, it is none other than Li Yongbo himself in the whole of CBA who often or more than occasionally comes under quite a bit of flak. The players are also not spared, particularly WSX whom we know was receiving a lot of brickbats from before the London Olympics to as recent as the KOR Open 2013.

Well, if you think that CBA's emphasis on the team spirit and putting Nation before self is no good, then I'd say, please take into account China's national situation (this is a big topic which I'm reluctant to delve into here) and the current state of professional badminton the world over ( I was told certain associations are having to skip a few tournaments for lack of funds).I'd go so far as to say this, that no organization can demand blind obedience and total submission without paying a heavy price for it - it's counter-productive and no way can it strives towards excellence whether it be in sports, the creative arts,music or running a business, the exception is in the military (or the cults but we know the outcome).

Regarding standardized training, to my limited knowledge, I'd say it is necessary and the right thing to do for a large part of it for the sake of efficiency and effectiveness. But this cannot be applied to styles of play and shouldn't even be attempted as each player is unique in terms of his/her physical and mental make-up including individual life experiences and age.

In fact,among the CHN MS, Chen Jin and Du Pengyu (though he is trying to transition to a more attacking game) are considered the rallying type, what I call 'grinders' if you know what I mean, whereas Lin Dan and Chen Long and now Wang Zhengming, are the aggressive (even explosive) attacking players. And among CHN WS, who could be more different than Wang Shixian,practically a one of a kind player. Come to think of it, if all the CHN MS can be standardized to play really like a Lin Dan or Chen Long or Lee CW, why not, that'd be great, isn't it?!

Just a friendly exchange of views, nothing personal. Thanks.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i don't think i agree with that either. or perhaps in a limited fashion.

MS: as mentioned by JustinL, CJ, Du Pengyu are the rally type, Du is slightly more interesting than CJ's "robot" style. LD/CL are offensive players but LD is more dynamic/flamboyant and CL is less so.

WS: while you can say the taller girls like WYH and LXR have similar style, one cannot say that they are the same as WX or WSX. WX speed, and twisty attacking play is a joy to watch and totally different than WYH/LXR and also completely different than WSX's rallying style.

MD: not many to do comparison, but certainly the new pairing of Liu/Qiu don't look any more simliar than Cai/Fu.

since they are always so much adhered with each other, in travelling, in cheering, in how they all present themselves, and with the relatively lacking in personal communication with their fans, it is an easy and dangerous trap to view and treat the Chinese as a collective. if you look closely, they are in fact individuals with individual styles both on and off the court.

3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Justin, I do not write my comments because of your opinion, but because what I think is one of the reason so many fans dislike CHN team while it is winning so many. Beside, as you said, one really has to take into account the situation of China, and this situation is precisely one that have a governement that says "love your country" but means "obey to me".
    Anyway enough politics ; regarding the style of play of the players, I still think each one particular style is being molded into a common pattern, though of course this cannot be totally acheived.
    In MS, of course there is LD, he is the greatest player, but besides, and even considering his recent evolution, all the others are pointing in the same direction. Chen Long is not the attacking and explosive type : he retreives everything. His smash is lethal but that is something he developped after the rest. Personnaly, I think his play is boring to watch, despite the fact that I like the guy. Du and CJ we all agree I think. Wang Zhengming used to have a true personnal style, so'ething a bit like TH when he was 18, but now is being grinded into a sort of CJ. The second rate players like Chen YK or others are even more the same.
    for the WS, only WS is for me different. And also LXR in some,respects. Others all have the 拉开playing style.
    I'm being to long so I'll stop here. I think what I criticize is also what many persons actually likes in CHN team, so I know it is only a personnal view.

4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

In the last post by WS i mean WX

5. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Badminton fans here are weir. No one dislike Federer, Spanish soccer team, USA basketball team just because they win too much.... These so-called badminton fans simply don't love badminton, don't love those excel in badminton (if not their countryman)... That's the reason that I feel sad about badminton sport, and don't think badminton will be as competitive in the world of sports as tennis, soccer, basketball... becoz badminton does not have a good quality fan base without borders.

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The reactions of a sport's fan, whatever the sport, is always complex. It is in many cases a love-hate relationship, and it is almost impossible for the fans to be satisfied. Badminton is no exception at all! In football it is two thousand time worst in Europe, and in South America it is even more so!
    As for winning, it really depends. The Spanish football team is loved in many places outside Spain because of its style of play, which is attacking, elegant and technical.

7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The same can be said of Federer!

8. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

While WS seems to be on a decline with only perhaps Sun Yu being a ray of hope (Li Xuerui is still very young though), MS seems to be doing pretty well!

9. littlebro

littlebro Regular Member

Badminton is the most popular, at least in urban area

Not sure about country side, in cities I have been to, badminton is definitely the most popular sports participated. Few young people play table tennis nowadays. Basketball does attract a lot of men, but badminton has more followers from both genders.

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Coming up: the World Championships, held in China this year.

It should give us a pretty fair indication of where things are headed.

11. kenjai7373

kenjai7373 Regular Member

still winning golds. peak golden era is under lyb. only time china fails to win gold medals was first time at olympics.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Well, it's just over 2 years since I had started this thread to plot the course of CBA's arguably most productive and proud era in international badminton, and it appears that the original estimate is correct.

I had said that that era would wind down within 2-3 years, and that appears to be the case, without a doubt. There are glaring issues with continuity in many disciplines. And there appear to be issues with discipline, too.

Oh yes, the China team is still notionally stronger that ay other team and still contains more depth in many disciplines than any other opponents' but the consistency and infallibility at the top is just not there anymore.

Change must come...