chandra/tony play as indonesia team

Discussion in 'Indonesia Open 2006 / Philippine Open 2006' started by taufik-ist, Jun 3, 2006.

1. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    chandra/tony play as indonesia team ?

i saw in tv that chandra/tony flag icon is indonesia, and also there's no country name in the back of in their tshirts :rolleyes:

2. coolknight

coolknight Regular Member

If I'm not mistaken, Tony is playing for USA and Candra for Indonesia. My question is, during the award ceremony, which flag will they raise? USA, INA, or both? :confused:

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

hmm, that is an interesting question...but my guess is, based on your comment which sounds like they will win the MD tie, i think it's going to be the Indonesian flag..:rolleyes:

4. ricksakti

ricksakti Regular Member

Surgeon
    They played for both respective countries. I dont think there was anthem being player nor flags being raised. They tried to be normal. I hope they can play together on the coming events

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

yup, there were no flags nor anthems being raised during the tournament..I believe they only do that in Olympics and World Championship, maybe other events such as SEA Games..
    Yah, hopefully they can play together more..;)

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Gunawan has put on a bit of weight, if he does not watch it, the days of playing good badminton will be over soon. It must be the giant servings of food in the USA. I bet you he will be putting on a tummy in a year from now (think there is a bit there already).:D

7. fabcargo

fabcargo Regular Member

badminton
    Sutiyoso going to talk to TONY AND CHANDRA

After their relatively easy wins over remaining indo pairs, Sutiyoso the head of PBSI is doing the right thing to talk to TONY and CHANDRA to represent Indo in Sudirman or maybe even Thomas cup. He understands that Tony is already tied to US, but he will try to find leeways. Good luck!

I just hope that Tony and Chandra still pair up for individual open tournaments.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

hehe, well, sure the large food portion serving could be a factor, but blame that on age and too much coaching rather than sparring here in the states..hehehe;)
    I mean, from watching the match, i'm sure those who have followed his playing days in Pelatnas have noticed that his footsteps have also slow down a bit(couldn't get back quick enough to his original position after retrieving a shot)..Although his superb mind and techniques offset that loss of footspeed..:rolleyes: ;)

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

hmm, interesting info you got there fabcargo, mind telling us where you heard that from??..that's a first for me..:rolleyes:
    i don't know how that will be accomplished by Sutiyoso, but it will be quite weird, looking at Tony playing for both USA and Indo for the Sudirman Cup(next yr) or Thomas/Uber Cup(in 2 yrs time) *at the same time*, is that possible??or if he agrees to play for INA then will he give up playing for USA...hmm:rolleyes: :) ..Also, both of them will be older by then...

But i concur also, Tony and Candra should keep on playing internationally in individual open tourneys, rather than coaching...;) whilst their bodies are still able..:)

10. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

Taufik wins sixth Indonesian Open crown

Indra Harsaputra,The Jakarta Post, Surabaya

National number one men's singles player Taufik Hidayat resumed his charmed run in the US$250,000 Djarum Indonesian Open badminton championships by defeating higher-ranked Bao Chunlai of China in Sunday's final.

It was his sixth title in the event, following victories in 1999, 2000 and 2002-2004, and tied the record for most championships with Ardy B. Wiranata from the 1990s. He won $20,000.

Taufik, now world-ranked 14, was made to fight in a tight 21-16, 21-19 victory against his 6th ranked and 3rd seeded opponent, who also held a 3-1 head-to-head edge over him coming in to the final.

The win at Kertajaya Sports Hall also ended a long title drought for the 25-year-old from Bandung.

"I'm glad I was able to win the tournament here. It's been eight months and I haven't won anything," said the 2004 Olympic champion, whose last victory was the world championship title in Anaheim, the United States, last August.

"I present this win to my coach and my family," he said of coach Mulyo Handoyo, who resigned from the national training center after Indonesia's disappointing showing in last month's Thomas Cup men's team event.

Bao complained that he lost concentration at the crucial 19-19 point in the see-saw second game after he thought Taufik's shot landed out.

"I had a chance to beat him but my focus was disturbed by the umpire's call," he said. "I will beat him next time. I'll be waiting for him in the Singapore Open (next week)."

The scratch pairing of Candra Wijaya and Indonesian-born Tony Gunawan, who now plays for the United States, upset the much younger defending champions Markis Kido and Hendra Setiawan 21-17, 21-16.

"The defense of Kido and Setiawan was awful. We will evaluate this," said the national team's men's doubles coach Christian Hadinata.

Candra, 30, who withdrew from the national training center last month, was surprised by the ease of the win with his partner from the late 1990s, who turned 31 last month.

"We didn't have any special preparation for the tournament. We haven't teamed up for five years. Tony rarely practices now due to his job at an electronics company over there," Candra said.

"This victory is for my daughter's birthday."

The host contingent's hopes of winning another title were dashed when defending mixed doubles champions and top seeded Nova Widianto and Lilyana Natsir bowed out 19-21, 15-21 to China's Xie Zhongbo and Zhang Yawen.

"It was a tough match. The Chinese were difficult to figure out. They played very well and solidly," said Nova, who won the 2005 world title with Lilyana.

Badminton Association of Indonesia chairman Sutiyoso immediately said that he would evaluate the players' performance.

"The results were below our target of three titles."

Chinese shuttlers collected two more titles in the women's singles and doubles in all-Chinese finals.

Unseeded Zhu Lin defeated Lu Luan 21-11, 21-16 for the singles crown, while Wei Yili and Zhang Yawen subdued Yang Wei and Zhang Jiewen 21-13, 21-13.

11. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I am amazed to know that Tony has to work there in USA and not playing badminton full time or coaching? Yet to win a 6 stars tournaments with someone that he hasn't playing together with for 6 years at the age of 31?

I bow to you.

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

hehe, "everyone" should bow to Mr. Gunawan..hehe;)..
    he's still coaching here at OCBC, not sure if it's full time or not...But yah, from what i heard from back in Surabaya, everyone who watched them play again were in quite a bit of awe, as both Tony and Candra haven't played together for a long time, yet they were both in sync and able to play well together...:rolleyes: ;) The only drawback they saw was Tony's lost of foot-quickness, which most likely caused from lack of sparring partners here in the U.S...:rolleyes:

13. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

What was the reason for going to the USA in the first place ? Indonesia must surely provide him with lots of oportunities, doesn't it ? And he is a respected hero, even if he retires, he can be a coach in Indonesia or anywhere if he chooses. Rudy Hartono is a rich man because he stayed put (and so are many other Indonesian players). A man of Gunawan's stature would do extremely well in Indonesia --- don't tell me he married a US woman ?

14. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    The info that I got is that Tony is studying in the USA.

15. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

He must have migrated if he plays for USA. So why did he migrate -- surely not to study only. If for study alone, he can go there without migrating.

16. taufik-ist

it administrator
    no.. he still holds indonesia passport :D
    it was like flandy and eng hian to play for england (2001)
    becos after finishing his study, he will go back to indonesia to take care his parent's bussines

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

So I guess he is a Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder) not truly citizen yet.

18. taufik-ist

it administrator
    yes ......... :D

19. taufik-ist

it administrator
    don't be surprised that tony/chandra will join indonesia team next year,
    sutiyoso will use 'any mean' to pursuade tony gunawan for joining indonesia team again. :D

20. rudytjip

rudytjip Regular Member

He didn't marry an American woman; his wife Etti was also a national badminton player in Indonesia (though not as accomplished as Tony). She probably was the determining factor on the move to the US. She already had a brother in the US. She works now in the financial investment industry (for Merril Lynch, I think).

Other possible reasons:
    1) Tony had a conflict with PBSI honchos. When I talked to Sonny Dwi Kuncoro during the WC in Anaheim, he was sure that this was the biggest reason.

2) Tony's official reason was to study computers and to "improve and expand" badminton in the USA.

3) There is also the "Indonesian of Chinese descent" problem. Many ethnic Chinese in Indonesia are still haunted by the riots in 97-98 during which many houses/businesses owned by Chinese-Indonesians were looted and burned, and many girls were raped. This is partly why you now see so many Indonesian badminton players of Chinese descent playing for Hongkong, Singapore, Taipei, Holland, etc.

4) Except for Taufik, I don't think Indonesian badminton players are well-rewarded there. Plus, PBSI is notorious for heavy-handed treatment of their players. Being in national training center is probably more like being in the army. You have no freedom to guide your own future.

5) As far as Rudy Hartono being a rich man... the fact that he married the daughter of very rich businessman (Indomilk owner, I think) surely helped! This is the route that Taufik had taken. Marry the daughter of a rich, powerful official (Agum Gumelar) and you're set! :)

Anyway, these are my 2-cents worth on why Tony migrated to the US