Changing from Nanogy 98 to Ashaway ZyMax 62

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by techno79, May 27, 2015.

1. techno79

techno79 Regular Member

I currently use a Yonex Voltric 7 with Nanogy 98 (0.66mm) strung at 25lb. I'm an advanced social player/league player. I am an all round player but have a preference for hard smashing.

If I switched to Ashway ZyMax 62 (0.62mm) but kept everything else the same, what difference would I expect other than string durability?

(With regards to durability, I get around 3 months out of my N98 so I'm expecting around 1 month with the ZyMax 62 which I don't think unrealistic)

TIA

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I normally use zm62, and I recently tried ng98 for the first time.

I found ng98 felt horribly numb in comparison. The strings felt "soggy". There was no feedback on hitting, and I couldn't "feel" what I was doing.

It was particularly bad on smashes, where I had absolutely no idea what would happen. Would the smash go steep, flat, or out? No idea. Did I hit that smash really well, or was it a mishit? I couldn't tell the difference. With zm62 I know when I'm hitting well.

But it's all very subjective. I hate ng98, other players love it. I'm used to zm62, you're used to ng98. Will you prefer zm62 or hate it? You can only tell by trying.

You may find that, if you string zm62 at the same tension, it feels tighter than ng98. Many people here will advise you to string it 1 -- 3 lbs lower. Personally, I don't like doing this.

As for durability -- make sure you get the new Zymax 62 Fire. This seems to be much more durable than the old Zymax 62, which would snap if you just looked at it funny. ;)

3. techno79

techno79 Regular Member

Hi, thank you for the quick reply. The reason why I mention ZyMax 62 as I can get a discounted re-string upon purchase of a new Voltric 7 which I'm going to be doing soon: https://www.centralsports.co.uk/products/yonex-voltric-7-red-white-2015-badminton-racket

I have a 200 metre real of N98 as I'm so used to it but I thought I'd try a different string for this new racket. I don't think the ZM62 on that website is the new fire one though.

I like to use trial and error so it's easier to change one variable. If I'm changing the string and tension then it might get confusing. That's why I was thinking of just changing the string and keeping the tension and everything else the same. The rackets would also be identical (both Voltric 7).

Any other suggestions from the list if strings on that website that might be more suited for my play style?

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The old Zymax 62 feels very similar to the new one. It just doesn't last as long.

I agree completely. :) This is why I don't adjust the tension when I change strings. I feel this lets me judge the string on its own merits. If I like the string, I can try tweaking the tension later.

I don't think it depends much on your play style. It's just about what strings you like, and what strings you can afford.

Zymax 62 is very much a performance string with terrible durability. The new ZM62 Fire is a performance string with much improved durability, but it will still break well before BG65 does (for example).

If you are interested in performance strings, the other obvious choice from that list would be Yonex BG66 Ultimax. I used to like this one, although recently I tried it again and found it soggy (though not nearly as soggy as NG98).

5. techno79

techno79 Regular Member

Thank you, great comments and very helpful. I think I'll give the ZyMax 62 a go. I'll ignore the durability aspect and judge it on everything else.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Good luck. It's definitely well worth trying, as many players love it. :)

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

I recommend to string ZM62 1 lb less than NBG98 to get the same feel.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Gollum, just out of curiosity, which racket are you using? Sometimes certain rackets can be the main cause of numb feel.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yonex Arcsaber 11.

10. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

Second that n make the diff 2 lbs lower.

Am ZM65 user in the past n then using ZM66F now. Their gauge is the same as NBG98 at .66mm. One time, tried ZM62F at same tension n racket felt so stiff like a plank of wood. Hence, ime, would advocate 2 lbs lower than ur current tension to obtain the optimal tension that u r used to with NBG98.

11. nws56

nws56 Regular Member

guitar maker
    At the risk of adding further complication, may I suggest trying the Li-ning version of Zymax 62; they label it as AP 62+ . It is the same core, but an outer sheath applied by Li-ning enabling them to state 'made in China '. It gains in feel for me, losing a bit of that hard quality. It also completely stops the string movement problem which dogs the Ashaway.
    Durability is improved too; I've had over 3 months at 25 lbs... whereas an identical racquet with nbg 98 is still going at twice that time. Best thin string I've used.

12. nws56

nws56 Regular Member

guitar maker
    Ap 62+

At the risk of adding further complication, may I suggest trying the Li-ning version of Zymax 62; they label it as AP 62+ . It is the same core, but an outer sheath applied by Li-ning enabling them to state 'made in China '. It gains in feel for me, losing a bit of that hard quality. It also completely stops the string movement problem which dogs the Ashaway.
    Durability is improved too; I've had over 3 months at 25 lbs... whereas an identical racquet with nbg 98 is still going at twice that time. Best thin string I've used.

13. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Can't say that ZM62 move alot or more than other thin strings. BG68TI or NBG98 are known for alot movement, but can't comment this about any Zymax.
    Main/cross ration is also a factor how much a string moves. Li Ning strings are not easy to find in Europe and most stringers/shops don't offer them.
    Rating the Durability of a string is a difficult topic. Sometimes you have just bad luck/good luck. I had BG80 Power @ 30lbs for 1 week to 6 weeks from the same reel strung by the same stringer on the same machine and played every week the same time and used the rackets for nearly the same duration of each session. I also know a guy who used BG80Power and had bad luck and it snaps within 24hours and good luck and it stays for 2 weeks. His tension was a few lbs higher than mine.