Changing Racket Handle Size

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by drew tze en, Sep 22, 2021.

1. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Hey all!

It's been a while since I've seen a post about this, but has anyone changed the original handle of a racket to their preferred handle size?

Trying to find 4UG5 88Ds in the UK is pretty difficult and 88D stock in Asia seems to be low, as there's the new 88D Pro. I've managed to get 4UG4s, but I was thinking of swapping the handle from G4 to a G5.

Wondering if anyone has tried it recently?
    Any tips and tricks to do it? :D

2. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    No tips really. It's just faff. Much easier to destroy the cone and use the new one (cover it with your grip).
    Then just make sure the bevels are in line, and you don't change the racquet length. So measure a few times and mark the test fit so you get it right at crunch time.
    Mark A recommended gorilla glue, it seemed very strong when I used it.

Check shaft thickness too! If it won't fit you might have to file/rasp the current handle instead.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is not easy as not all shaft has the same diameter. you'll need to find one that is exactly the same diameter.

Then there is the cone, the cone is not just decorative. the wooden handle extend all the way under the plastic cone. the taper of the wooden cone from the handle to the shaft is very weak. the plastic cone is there to hold it together structurally. 3rd party handle will likely not fit your original cone. and furthermore, it is very difficult to take out the plastic cone as it is glued to the wood underneath.

4. drew tze en

From experience, would it be easier getting sand paper and sanding the grip size slowly to G5 spec? As an alternative?

Signature likes this.
  5. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Easiest is to buy the racket in G5. ;) or change to a brand that does G5...

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Cheung likes this.
  6. Signature

Signature Regular Member

I think this is the right approach, so much stuff can go wrong with the handle swap like BP, not glued securely, wrong diameter etc, that it would just be easier to sand it down :)

Another underrated tip is to see if you can find the racket here at Buy and Sell!

7. drew tze en

Thinking through, sanding down is the better option. Just have to take my time and be patience with the handle o_O

I had a look at the Buy and Sell section and couldn't find any available 4UG5 88Ds in the UK, went 10 pages in. Nothing available

8. Signature

Signature Regular Member

You should make a post yourself instead :D

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think you should just sell it and buy completely new racquets with the right specification. :)

10. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

well said. if resources allow, perhaps even consider buying from shuttlehouse jp, where G6 are available for some models. there are even discounts if purchase exceeds certain amout.

11. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Do you have a belt sander? "Sanding is for making stuff smooth. Planing is for removing wood." I think that's the right quote i read when looking into sanding a mis-fitting door!

12. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

[​IMG]

how many times have i posted this or something similar in the past ten/fifteen years, is the search function no longer working?

speCulatius likes this.