Charity fond! Auction suggestions?

Discussion in 'Thomas Laybourn Forum' started by Laybourn, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Hi everyone

Me and Jonas have written earlier that we wanted to make a charity fond, and this is now the first step of doing that. Thank alot for all your suggestions about who we should donate the money to. We havn´t agreed yet but offcourse we will do soon, so you know what we are donating to.

The first thing we launches is probally a new auction forum (if we can get Kwun to aprove :) )

At the new auction forum we can sell everything you like, and the money will go to our badminton charity fond.

It´s now up to you what you think we should sell, and offcourse what you would like to buy from us. A suggestion could be t-shirts from the top players in the world, danish in the beginning an later on from other countries.

But you name it, rackets, shoes, shorts, autographs, training hour when we come to your country, pictures with your idols etc.... only the imagination can set the limit, and offcourse we have to aprove :D

Me and jonas are looking forward to your responses.

Regards

Thomas

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    JR/Thomas,

this sounds exciting. BC/BF will definitely help you out, or if there are other web related work, i can help set up websites, etc. i think this is a very cool idea.

do you plan to involve others in the team as well?

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Thats sounds great, I cant wait to get bidding!

Might have to make some kind of rules about the bidding process though. Basic rules at least, we dopnt want someone bidding crazy money, and driving a price up only to say he doesnt want to pay, and leaving the second highest bidder pay.

Still, I still sounds like great fun. We can have a bidding period, and have loads of BF members online at the same time bidding!! Am excited already.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    You guys are awesome, giving something back to the community and other less fortunate is a supreme quality matched only by your supreme talent on badminton court. BF members are very proud that you and JR you are among us.

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Great! I can't wait what you guys have in store for us. Contributing to charity is good! Well maybe the money can go to some sports foundations or something like that.. help those kids who cannot afford to buy sports equipments , or even funding for trainning etc...

6. other

other Regular Member

Student
    I don't suppose it would be easier on ebay?
    hehe...but it would be very doable on this forum as well:)

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's a great idea!!!!!!! :cool:

8. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    This sounds like an awesome idea! Good for us North Americans who don't get many chances to see all our favorite pros since there aren't that many good baddy competitions held around here.

9. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Hi again

Thanks alot for all your comments so far, but me and Jonas would like to hear what YOU want to buy so we got an idea what to collect for our new auction forum :D

Looking forward to recieving your suggestions.

Thomas

10. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

You covered quite a bit in your opening post.

Do you get official team photos for events like the Thomas/Uber Cup, World Champs, Olympics. How about some of those signed by everyone in the squad?

A hat/baseball cap from Tang Xianhu. He always seems to be wearing something.

Something from the past greats. Poul-Erik, Morten Frost, etc

11. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    Hi Thomas!

Basically everything you mentioned in your first post would be awesome to buy. I mean sure, it's possible to go to a tournament to meet your favorite players but that doesn't mean they can take the time and sit down and chat with you. Maybe you should sell dinners with the players or something of that sort. The training hour sounds awesome, and I'd love to buy anything ranging from shirts to rackets to autographed pictures.

I also agree with Neil that getting some of the older legends in the sport in on this will be good. I'd love to get some Zhao Jianhua and Yang Yang stuff! :D

12. LoveJoy

LoveJoy Regular Member

wonderful idea!
    any comment on the concept of setting up a non-profit shell to take donations of goods and service (for auction ) and be able to issue tax receipts for charitable donations?
    It will have a bit of an overhead compared to the simple method.

13. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Yes! That's a really great idea for the charity!! :)

As of items, I think most people would love to see your badminton rackets, bags, and shirts (if you could sign them, that would be even better :)!!)

PS: Since Kwun is willing to do them in here, I guess now it's a good time to test how good our new server really is ;) :p (expect TONS of people)

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

How about the racquets that Lars and Jonas used to win the World Championships? On the other hand, they may not want to auction such memorable items:D

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The dinner idea is great as well.

16. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Yes, but how do people meet? serious flying will be required.....and that's going to be way too expensive.....

17. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    The most valuable thing one person can give another is their time, there is no better thing for a fan than to meet their idol let alone have a game or knock up with someone they respect and cheer on if only for a few minutes, it's certainly not something I'd forget in a hurry!

The problem with this is that the nature of the site is worldwide so the winner may have to wait for you to play their local competition geographically (if there is one locally) or in fact might not be able to at all if there is a long travel ahead of them.

But again this depends on your schedule and how much time you have for such an appearance if indeed your schedule allows (now you see why time is a very valuable commodity).

Speaking in a business sense it gives you the most return for the fund since people would clearly bid for it but there is no initial investment so technically it is clear profit for whichever charity you support.