Chasse or cross footwork?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by exalted, Jan 7, 2005.

1. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    I watched an IBF Training video for Badminton footwork (very informative), and it promoted the use of the chasse movement. I have fenced before (nothing much), but it seems like when I use the not overlapping steps I am so slow, and sometimes it takes me 6 steps to do a diagonal from one side to another, and I always feel I am doing it wrong although I am trying to stop in the middle and do the split step (which should be a visible jump? Or just a psychologically readying slight bounce?).

I am still in the stage of playing in that in order for someone to beat me, all they do is hit a deep high clear, forcing me to go backwards, I do a drop shot, and then they hairpin it, and I have trouble retrieving it. I know this is a footwork problem, and the club I’m in (mediocre players at best) have suggested that I do their form of footwork which uses your legs crossing each other. Is this wrong? I feel that I am moving much faster but I know that the drawback is that I have less stop control as opposed to a chasse movement. Should I just start with this and then switch? I know that the chasse footwork takes intense leg power and speed (which I do not have in the slightest)

I read a thread a while ago where this footwork was considered legitimate and especially if you aren’t tall (which I am not, I am about 5’9’’ – 5’10’’), but I don’t want to practice “bad habitsâ€, especially with footwork. Are there any players I can get videos of that have exceptional usage of this? Any comments about this topic (which I know has probably been beaten to death) is really appreciated, thanks in advance.

Any comments also about the MP-100 (I bought this becuase I got it used for a really great price from a friend despite being a beginner) would be cool too.

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

3. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    By the way, when your opponents force you to go to back with their clears, you are not in a very strong position in rally, until you make a shot which gives you enough time to return to your base, and balance your body, so try hitting a clear in return of a clear, but to clear from baseline to baseline, you must have a good rotation, and grip. Don't always clear in return of a clear, when they it a clear, and are expecting a clear, hit a drop shot then adn quickly return to your base.

4. Radium

Radium Regular Member

Student
    Chasseing should definetely only be used on short distances. Moving from the very back of the court to the very front of the court simply involves running and a strong final lunge. You may need to work on that.

5. bardo

bardo Regular Member

Programmer
    Fast and Furious!!

I'm sorry to tell you about Lin Dan from china and Chong Wei of M'sia.
    Lin dan fast when cross court running, exspecially when the ball is on the net.. other then fast! lin dan also ... have this 'race hand' which allow him to cross the net very good.
    i've train this skill for some period (go front and crossing on the net other then net and tap)...

1. in this situation, their trainer push their player to go much faster . and better at the run... one training... u can train from right back, to left front (just in 2 steps)... faster and faster! while the coach push you... in a long time (it'll make ur stamina good). Once u've got the skill... the skill is tinted into ur heart. there is no problem do it next time... i've got lin dan skill , run fast towards and crossing net!. when i got it! just need little training to maintain it. but it's really painful to get that one skill... almost one week my coach me just to train that skill. But u'll facing the problem in ur body because u need push back and front faster... the impact of ur abdomen when u change ur situation (Upper back and lower). to prevent this problem.. u need
    ................................................................................o
    "Bangkit-Tubi" they call in Malaysia... _ _ _ _ o then _ _ / many times.. until ur abdomen and lower or upper back support ur movement... its really feel great when u get the skill .. enjoy..

2. Chong Wei of Malaysia. He's not the best but he moves fast as feather. what he train?... Misbun train him.. to be fastest player. his advantage is his fast as light as feathers and of course his overhead smash drop shots... u know, maybe he spend about 1 hours a day just to train that shots. but that not all, he is capability to go much faster to cross front more then lin dan do. Lin Dan just make is nicely cross net.. but this Chong Wei make until he can tapped the ball.. he's not running.. but he is flying like feather. (the contras maybe he'll the first one tired). but as you can see, he train cross court just in two steps many times. other then that..!, as he is small, so misbun train he to best among faster and furious guys.. but misbun forget.. its just a moment.. that guy CW just to lack of experience.. so always felt down.
    the secrets!!! skipping.. i've saw one Malaysian players.. right now he's about 16. but he's not just fast, yet also feather like cw. he is Vountus, i've single with him so many times last time. but i just win about 15-12, 15-13, around that. that time i'm 16 and he's just 12!.

3. Result! as you can see,
    a. not just footwork u just need to do,
    b. u need to tell your coach to push u very hard!, the harder, the better
    c. upper body and lower body fitness, this bangkit tubi, or better u do it in gymnasium.
    d. skipping, about 15 minutes in a session.

other then that is your mental, and of coz if u're talented.. this skill just need the longest time about 2 weeks. if you follow the schedule.. but 4 me, i just need one evening to learn this technique, and the other 3 days.. i've done to do that!. why? because many reason.. i've train many skills. other then, i'm experience. i've train many times.. and this skill is just to improve my plays. that is my last time, right now i'm in position to learn hand race.. c you soon :rolleyes:

6. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    Man, i am afraid i did not actually get what is that drill, or exercise to push, or go faster, from right back to left front....any special positioning of foot is required? or just running like anything.....?