Cheaper Alternative to Build Personal Indoor Court

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by arfandy, Feb 6, 2012.

1. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

:confused: I'm planning to build 1 indoor court on my backyard, more like personal court. As i was googling about badminton carpet, i found it to be quite expensive to install one. In addition to that, some reviews say that carpet may not be durable if being used daily. My questions to consider:

1. Having calculated the price of carpet itself (which already expensive enough), plus additional price to deliver the imported carpet from China (which i assume would be between 30-40Kg top), and the fee to pay the worker to install it (line-draw, stick to floor), would it be wise enough to still adapt to this option? (Considering i may have to replace the carpet over and over in the near future while rent cost is somewhere about $3/hour, used daily for at least 4-6 hours by amateurs)

2. What are the cheaper & durable alternatives other than carpet? I was thinking woods material would do the trick just fine, but constant mopping & wetting the floor would cause it deteriorating pretty fast. About the price of using wood material, i have no idea yet. Is it cheaper or more expensive?

3. What about regular 50x50cm black-ceramic-floor tiles? indeed would be 100% durable & might be cheaper, but can cause injures quite often.

2. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

If u have the money go for indoor rubber or wooden floor

3. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

^yes, kinda like the floors gyms are installed with. rubber flooring or you could get synthetic tiling that has grippy surface..if you find it

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Chipboard painted. you get chipboard of all different grades. It is cheap and i know it works because there is a hall in my city that uses it and it is a popular venue, personally i prefer rubber flooring but chipboard is cheap.

5. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

what is exactly a chipboard? please explain:)

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Its this and obviously for badminton court it is painted with waterproof grip paint(see below)

chipboard.jpg

Name: -Chipboard
    Sources: -Gluing together wood particles with an adhesive, under heat and pressure makes chipboard. This creates a rigid board with a relatively smooth surface. Chipboard is available in a number of densities: -normal, medium and high-density.
    Normal density is fairly soft.
    High-density is solid and hard.
    Uses: -It is often used for kitchen tops (which are laminated with melamine) and fire doors.
    Medium density is somewhere between normal and high density. There are exterior grades of chipboard available but most are only suitable for internal use.
    Disadvantages: -All grades of chipboard except the high-density variety tend to soak up water. Once it is water logged, chipboard tends to swell and breakdown.
    Uses: -Chipboard with a veneered surface is widely used for flat-pack furniture and work surfaces.
    Uses: -High-density chipboard is often used as the carcass for kitchen units and worktops and flooring. This type of chipboard is hardwearing, rigid and heavy.
    Other grades of chipboard are standard, flame-retardant, flooring, and moisture-resistant. Ironing or gluing on strips of veneer may disguise the unattractive edge of veneered chipboard.

7. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

How do they clean it from the dirt n dust if it soaks in water. Here in Indonesia we wet mop the badminton hall floors everyday because there is so much dust on the air.

8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

If you read my post again first line "obviously for badminton court it is painted with waterproof grip paint". The chipboard can not soak in water if it is waterproofed. Like one of it's most common uses is furniture but if you spill a glass of water on it, the furniture does not soak it up because it is vaneered.

9. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Are those paint used to paint the floors of inexpensive swimming pools or what? Sorry to ask so much but my country's resources n material availability is limited.

Do u know how they set up the chipboard so they stay on the floors. With wooden floors they have profiles that 'bite' on each others sides so they stay. How about the chipboards? Do they just use wooden/furniture glues to lay them on the concrete floor?

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

No problem.

I am not sure what paint we used in our the hall but there are many things on the market like pu spray and rubber spray but assume they would be more expensive than just some regular waterproof paint (which is i think what is on our hall). It would depend on how much you can spend as to what to coat it with but if you google rubber spray, polyurethane spray or waterproof paint you will find the prices for you.

Yes you can buy "tongue and groove chipboard" It allows each board to slot "bite" into next one by a few mm.
    chipboard_flooring.jpg

sorry I do not know how they affixed the underside or if they even did. It is quite a large mass and runs to walls so not sure there would be much movement although I assume the underneath would be coated with some cheap waterproofer aswell like pva glue so no swelling happens from underside.

If you are actually building this, I can find out what exact paint, methods they used.

11. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

12. neavalmi0421

neavalmi0421 Regular Member

New Product Development
    sorry to revive an old thread but i came in here trough a google search. I was also planning to build my own indoor badminton court. I think for me the material that wil lcost more is the building itself so i am finding what cheap structure will be for an indoor badminton