Cheers Asian Satellite Badminton Championships 2004

Discussion in '2004 Tournaments' started by seven, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Panasony

Panasony Regular Member

The two Indonesian youngsters Tommy Sugiarto and Achmad Rivai certainly have the skill to challenge the other stronger pairs. This evening, they based their whole game on defense to win the Malaysian pair. In the next round, they will meet Singapore junior pair of Koh Yan Sen and Muhd Azlin Latib. Both are 17 and the Indonesians should be around 16.

But another Indonesia pair Rendra Wijaya and Yonathan Suryatama Dasuk was better. They beat the Hong Kong doubles in three fiercely-fought sets. Rendra looks really like Candra Wijaya and plays excatly like him. His jumping overhead smash is totally identical ! I dunnoe the age of this pair but I believe that they have the ability to replace senior pairs Flandy and Eng, Sigit and Trikus and Candra and Halim. Hopefully, Indonesia can firmly strength-hold this discipline again.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    Some Pictures on Malaysian players, etc.

Some pix taken during the tournament, mainly on Malaysian players, James Chua, Yeoh Kay Bin, Kuan Beng Hong and Indonesian, Achmad Rivai:

Attached Files:

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    More pics for viewing:

Attached Files:

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Thanks for the pics Loh, and don't hesitate to give us more reports about the matches! :)

5. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Morning results

Tommy Sugiarto/Riva Achmad are through to quarter-finals in MD (set to play against Rendra Wijaya and Yonathan Suryatama Dasuk)

On the other hand, Ronald Susilo and Lee Yen Hui Kendrick lost their match which is only half a surprise considering they are singles players!

6. Panasony

Panasony Regular Member

I also took some pictures but I am sorry that they are not well-taken.

These are pictures of Rendra Wijaya and Yonathan Suryatama Dasuk. I was tailing them around the hall and they must have thought I was like a paparazzi.

Attached Files:

7. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Is Rendra the same family as Candra? what's their relationship in this case?

They do look alike on the pictures above...

8. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

hey loh.. i was wondering if u could get some pcis on our singaporean players.. junior and senior players... haha~ thks..

9. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Tommy Sugiarto easily went through to the last 16.

Tomorrow's program : MS, WD, XD Last 16 + All Quarter-Finals

10. SmartCivet

SmartCivet Regular Member

SOFTWARE ENGINEER
    Tommy lost to ISMAIL Saman of MAS.9-15, 6-15
    he is only juvenile

11. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Kendrick Lee made short work of yet another person. he hasnt played more than 25 minutes in a single match just yet. looks dangerous and on form.

Loh, just want to ask. i havent notice much of kendrick lately in international events. why the low profile and why doesnt singapore send him for more exposure?

just want to know. thanks

also want to add that that is the worst looking draw i've ever seen. it's all jumbled up and confusing

http://www.singaporebadminton.org.sg/horizon/110897649404ibsi065l00001.htm

#31 jug8man, Sep 10, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  12. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

anyone knows how the Yogendran vs Kendric Lee match is going down?
    just FYI im rooting for Kendric. i dont quite care at the moment for any of the remaining Malaysians here. some i even think are tresspassing in a tournament meant for giving the fresh faces exposure.

go kendric!

13. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
  14. zzaarr

zzaarr Regular Member

Some Pics

Some pics from the games.

Attached Files:

15. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Tomorrow's FINALS!

Men's Singles - Main Draw - FINAL :
    3* KUAN Beng Hong {MAS} [​IMG]
    LEE Yen Hui Kendric {SIN} [​IMG]

Women's Singles - Main Draw - FINAL :
    1* LI Li {SIN} [​IMG]
    2* POLSANA Salakjit {THA} [​IMG]

Men's Doubles - Main Draw - FINAL :
    RENDRA Wijaya & YONATHAN Suryatama Dasuk {INA} [​IMG]
    LIN Woon Fui & MOHD TAZARI Mohd Fairuzizua {MAS} [​IMG]

Women's Doubles - FINAL :
    ENDANG Nur Sugianti & RANI Mundiasti {INA} [​IMG]
    AROONKESORN Duanganong & VORAVICHITCHAIKUL Kunchala {THA} [​IMG]

Mixed Doubles - FINAL :
    PRIBADI & ENDANG Nur Sugianti {INA} [​IMG]
    2* MOHD TAZARI Mohd Fairuzizua & OOI Sook Ai {MAS} [​IMG]

16. Panasony

Panasony Regular Member

17. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    wow, match betw. beng hong and kendric..
    by the sound of it.. it's gonna be exciting. esp after what jug has said about kendric... and it's seems beng hong is quite a favourite as well... needless to say, i'm rooting for k beng h... just keep us updated will ya? (heh! i know that was redundant..)

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    Semi-Finals Results

I was there yesterday morning and evening to watch the QF and returned to the SBA Hall this Sat afternoon at 2 pm to watch the SF.

Last evening I was privileged to meet a 'young star' and wonder whether you are able to name him. A pic of the two of us is shown here for your educated guess! ;)

Coming back to the tournament proper, I was a little disappointed with young Tommy Sugiarto after having heard so much about him in the Forum. On the other hand, I was impressed with the contingents from India, Thailand and Vietnam with the backups from traditionally strong countries Malaysia and Indonesia, more so from the latter.

Yes, there is another young man to carry the Wijaya name. He is none other than Rendra, who has quite similar looks as his older and house-hold name brother. Candra, though he is fairer, chubbier and stronger. His court antics and behaviour surprisingly resemble Candra's as well! :) His partnership with Yonathan Suryatama Dasuk has brought them to the Finals tomorrow, their most testing challenge so far was during the QF against compatroits, Rivai Achmad & Tommy Sugiarto, whom they almost lost 15-3, 13-15 and 17-16! But this evening, they were in brilliant form and left Malaysians Hoon Thien How Tan Boon Heong with no chance at 15-8 and 15-7 in 32 mins.

Men's Singles

This afternoon, Singapore had 4 Semi-Finalists, one each in MS and WS and two in WD, but at the end of the evening only, 2 entered the Finals tomorrow for the singles events.

Kendrick Lee of Singapore was almost stopped in his tracks by non other than the fighting Vietnamese, Nguyen Tien Minh, who made Malaysian Ismail Saman pack his bags during the QF. Kendrick appeared to be in good control during the first game with his well placed shots, both to the back and fore courts and won it 15-10.

However, during the second game, Nguyen TM changed tactics by playing more agressively and not allowing Kendrick the luxury of time to play his shots and he succeeded against a more lethargic Kendrick with his low returns and hard smashes. He literally quicken the pace and left Kendrick stranded now and then to take the second game 15-5!

The 5-minute break did Kendrick a lot of good as he recovered his breadth and good friend and 'coach', Ronald Susilo must have given him some useful tips for Kendrick stormed back during the rubber to take the match 15-8. Kendrick moved faster and became the aggressor with more smashes for a change. The entire match lasted an hour.

In the second MS between Yeoh Kay Bin and Kuan Beng Hong, Kuan justified as Malaysia's TC 3rd Singles Reserve by beating Yeoh, despite his lower seeding here. Kuan beat Yeoh effortlessly in the first game 15-4 but Yeoh turned the tables with a scintilatting display in the second to force a rubber with 15-2. Both won their game with attacking play and powerful smashes.
    The third game become another tame affair as Kuan took it back with a similar score of 15-4. So Kuan will meet Kendrick in the Final to decide who deserves the crown more.

Women's Singles

Nothing really surprised in this event. The No.1 seed, Li Li of Singapore will meet the No.2 seed, Salakjit Polsana of Thailand.

Both had relatively easy workouts against their opponents. Li Li beat Meemek Monthila (Thailand) 11-1, 11-7 in 27 mins while Salakjit defeated Meilyanna Wiwis (an Indonesian qualifier) 11-8, 11-1 in 25 min.

On paper, Li Li seems to have an edge against Salakjit because of her experience and international exposure.

Men's Doubles

As discussed earlier, Rendra Wijaya & Yonathan Suryatama Dasuk appear to be the more attractive pair, though with seemingly less experience than their Malaysian finalists, Lin Woon Fui & Mohd Tazari Mohd Fairuziziua who beat the surprise Indian pair of Diju V & Ismail Jaseel, 15-11 17-14 in 55 min. Surprise, because Diju and Ismail, both of relatively bigger built that others, played very well throughout the tournament with their effective combination, good doubles strokes of net blocks, pushes, drives and smashes. They also carried a good defence. Certainly a team to watch in the future!

Women's Doubles

The Final will be played between the Indonesians and the Thais. Endang Nur Sugianti & Rani Mundiasti were stretch by the young Singapore pair of Sari Shinta Mulya & Xing Aiying, 15-7, 13-15 and 15-4. With more exposure, the latter pair should grow to become a team to reckon with.

Thais, Aroonkesorn Duanganong & Voravichitchaikul Kunchala (Seeded3/4) upset the seedings when they beat Jiang Yanmei & Li Yujia (2) 17-15 and 15-8 after a high-tension first game. The Thais were steadier and moved about the court better than the Singaporeans who seemed a little rusty and the taller and slower Li was caught a few times with poor line judgements.

Mixed Doubles

This event will see Malaysians Mohd Tazari Mohd Fairuzizua & Ooi Sook Ai meeting Indonesians Pribadi & Endang Nur Sugianti in the Finals. While Pribadi & Endang were stretched 15-6, 6-15 and 15-2 by Malaysians Jack Koh & Mooi Hing Yau, Moh Tazari & Sook Ai had a slighly easier time beating Indonesians Prasetyo Restu & Rani Myndiasti, 15-11 and 17-14. As can be seen from the results, the XD event seems to continue to be dominated by these two countries although India and Vietnam managed to put up some resistance. Nevertheless it is gratifying to see that the other countries are treating this event will more respect through greater participation.

All the relevant pictures for your viewing pleasure and name-guessing game: :)

Attached Files:

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Loh, where is that pic of your and the rising young star? :)

thanks for the report!

20. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

The Star Online > Last 7 Days > 9 Sep, 2004 > Sports

Thursday September 9, 2004
    Misbun says Kay Bin needs more competition exposure

BY RAJES PAUL
    KUALA LUMPUR: The decision to field relatively old-timer Yeoh Kay Bin to bid for honours in the ongoing Singapore Satellite could be taken as a slap in the face for Malaysian badminton.

But national singles chief coach Misbun Sidek defended the decision.

The 24-year-old Kay Bin has been in the national team for the last six years but he is playing in an International Badminton Federation (IBF) Grade A tournament meant for young aspirants.

However, the fact is Kay Bin has not made any mark on international circuit tournaments and his best effort was a quarter-final appearance in the Malaysian Open last year.

EASY OPENER: Favourite Kay Bin of Malaysia breezed through the first round of the men's singles event in the Singapore Satellite badminton tournament Wednesday.
    His tenure in the national team as a back-up shuttler has only brought him a satellite tournament title – in India last year, beating teammate Lee Chong Wei.

Misbun said that the decision to field Kay Bin in the tournament, where he is the top seed, was to build up the player's confidence.

Said Misbun: “He may be in the national team for a long time. But how am I to send him out for major international tournaments if he cannot even win a satellite tournament?

“The only title that he has won was the Indian Satellite and that too beating a teammate to win it.â€

Kay Bin, the former world junior runner-up, suffered a string of defeats in lowly ranked internationals last year.

He lost to Malaysian junior Chong Li Qun in the Singapore Satellite (walkover in the second round); Yuichi Ikeda of Japan in the Australian International (semi-finals); and Jang Young-soo of South Korea in the Luster Open (quarter-finals).

In international Open tournaments, he crashed out in the early rounds in China (second round), Thailand (second round), France (third round), South Korea (first round) and Japan (second round).

“I want to build up his confidence. Let him win all the small tournaments and move on from there,†said Misbun.

“By hook or crook, Kay Bin has to win the Satellite tournament. That’s the directive that I have given to him. I expect him to play against Kuan Beng Hong or James Chua in the final.†Misbun added that he put off plans to dropped Kay Bin from the national team because he could still serve as a good sparring partner.

“Ironically, even (Wong) Choong Hann and Chong Wei find it difficult to beat Kay Bin. But somehow he freezes when he competes in international tournaments,†he said.

If Kay Bin fails to live up to Misbun's expectations in Singapore, he may not get to go for the back-to-back Open tournaments in Holland (Sept 28-Oct 3) and Denmark (Oct 5-10).

Yesterday, the world No. 35 Kay Bin got off to a flying start when he defeated Achmad Rivai of Indonesia 15-11, 15-7 in the opening round.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yeoh is in hot soup i suppose. so much for building up his confidence.
    his loss to Chen Jin in the french open still lingers in my mind.........