Chen Hong confident of beating Hafiz at Singapore Open

Discussion in 'Singapore / Indonesia / Malaysia Open 2003' started by whizkelv, Aug 15, 2003.

1. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Chen Hong confident of beating Hafiz at Singapore Open

BY LOGANATH VELLOO (The Star Online)

PENANG: World number one Chen Hong is ready to turn the tables on Malaysian Mohamad Hafiz Hashim in the opening round of the US$170,000 Singapore Open next week.

Despite having a bad head-to-head record against the Malaysian shuttler in recent encounters, the Chinese player is confident of progressing past the first hurdle in Singapore.

Hafiz upset the formbooks to beat Chen Hong in straight sets at the All England final in Birmingham this year and also in the third round of the Busan Asian Games last year.

But Chen Hong, who has been drawn to play Hafiz in the opening match in Singapore, was a picture of confidence yesterday. “I do not wish to speculate on the (Singapore Open) draw as I have yet to study it in detail.”

“However, I have not travelled all the way from China just to be knocked out in the first round. I am ready to take on any player, including Hafiz,” said Chen Hong, a quarter-finalist at the recent World Championships in Birmingham.

The Chinese players arrived at the Penang International Airport yesterday for their friendly with the Malaysian team at the Sultan Abdul Hamid Stadium in Alor Star tonight.

However, chief coach Li Yongbo and the newly crowned duo of world champion Xia Xuanze and bronze medallist Bao Chunlai were not on board the flight from Singapore and will give the friendly a miss.

“The others might call it a friendly but it will be serious work for me tomorrow (today),” said Chen Hong. It is never easy to take on the Malaysians on their home soil.”

“The matches against Malaysia is a good way for China to tune up for the three tournaments in the region,” said Chen Hong, referring to the Singapore Open (Aug 18-24), Indonesian Open (Aug 26-31) and Malaysian Open (Sept 2-7).

The 24-year-old said he was still feeling disappointed with his last eight exit at the World Championships, after succumbing 15-5, 14-17, 9-15 to South Korean Shon Seung-Mo.

In the World Championships in Seville two years ago, he went one step better before bowing out in the semifinals to Denmark's Peter Gade Christensen.

The three tournaments in the region now offers him the chance to redeem his pride and reaffirm his number one ranking.

“Without doubt, the top players will feature in the three tournaments. But I believe I can do well if I can concentrate on one obstacle at a time.”

“At this moment, my focus will be on overcoming Hafiz in the first round in Singapore,” added Chen Hong.

Local badminton fans who hope to witness a showdown between the two tonight could be disappointed.

Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) secretary Gangga Rao said yesterday that the world rankings are most likely to be utilised in determining the match-ups for the friendly.

While Chen Hong is ranked first for China, Hafiz is still behind the higher ranked world number four Wong Choong Hann and Lee Tsuen Seng.

Choong Hann-Chen Hong will still be a mouth-watering tie. Based on the rankings, Lin Dan is expected to play Tsuen Seng in the second singles while Hafiz will take on Chen Yu in the third singles.

Youngsters Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng and Sang Yang-Zheng Bo will face Chan Chong Ming-Chew Choon Eng and Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah respectively.

The Malaysia-China friendly will be played in the Thomas Cup format-with three singles and two doubles matches.

The players will have an added motivation to win. A total prize money of US$18,000 (RM 46,000) is at stake.

2. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

My money is still on Hafiz.

3. Joel_y

Joel_y Regular Member

Since none bets on Chen Hong, guess I have to bet on him. He rarely failed in first round though he lost to Hafiz all 3 times before. It is time for him to take "revenge" now. good luck, Chen Hong.

4. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    I'm on Chen Hong also. He seemed determined when he beat WCH at friendlies and I think he really means business this time around. Good luck.

5. Joel_y

Joel_y Regular Member

//hand, Hugo.

Hehe. Good Job Chen Hong. Keep going.
    Round 1
    1* CHEN Hong {CHN} 2 HASHIM Muhd Hafiz B {MAS} 0 15-11, 17-14 {63m}

6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Finally broke the jinx eh, otherwise this would have been first

time I think that Chen Hong loses in rd 1.

Tough fight though.

7. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Atta boy, Chen Hong!! (Well, it should be atta man, coming from me:D )

With Hafiz out of the way, I think Chen Hong has a clear path to semi-finals now, as there's not too much tough opposition along the way.

Good job and good luck, Mr. World Number One!

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    no sheung shon mo then? or gopichand? or another hafiz? Good luck to him as I think he is very good, but there are no easy games and his overconfidence has got the better(worse) of him quite a few times, but well done.

9. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Personally, I feel Chen Hong is technically more skillful than Hafiz.
    But often, he was beaten by his own 'over-confidence'.

10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Difficult to say whether it is overconfidence, some say it

is lack of confidence in crucial points. Maybe Ch has learnt to

tighten his game and not give away easy points.

Chinese players esp older ones like Li Mao liked to give away

points to test opponents and sometimes tempt opponents with easy shots to

expose them to counter-attacks just like in boxing.

I think it also depends on who opponent is, Ch certainly learns from defeats,

lets see if he has learnt anything about Shon.

Chance for Bao to redeem his unhapiness.

And Xia has beaten Ong Ewe Hock, I think Xia's stamina is much better.