Chen Long ( 谌龙 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by robin7, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Either way the standard angle sucks...

2. visor

visor Regular Member

It has to do with the high camera setup in a big stadium. HK open, KOR open, INA open, recently MAS open. They are some of the worst...

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

When LCW won silver again at Rio, he was amply rewarded with a luxurious condominium worth RM1.5mil, cash RM150K from the Penang state government, a Samsung 65" SUHD TV, among others (another RM110K from XOX Mobile which included RM50K as their brand ambassador).

What did Chen Long received for getting gold? Nothing substantial that I've heard of. Not surprising, what with CHN having a tradition for badminton golds and he being just one of the 26 gold medallists at Rio'16, including multiple winners. What a huge difference it made.

So when Chen Long humbly said LCW's three Olympic silvers is worth more than one gold, I should add , more than his one gold in monetary terms as well.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Don't CHN OG gold winners get a lifetime monthly stipend?

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For the Rio Olympic gold medallists, http://nextshark.com/heres-much-money-olympic-gold-medalists-win-country/ :

"For the top countries participating in this year’s Rio Summer Olympics, a gold medal can fetch a handsome reward. Italy, Russia and France give each of their gold medalists $180,000, $135,000 and $65,000, respectively. China, for its part, rewards their top players with $31,400 per gold medal, while the United States gives out $25,000 for each gold medalist."

No mention of lifetime pension/stipend. Basically, I'm comparing it with silver medalist LCW's reward.

6. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I disagree. Chen Long's 1 Olympic Gold is slightly superior than 3 Silver Medals.

7. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

I agree with you. Wang Hao would have gladly exchanged his 3 consecutive Table Tennis silvers for one gold. As for monetary reward I will rather be LCW or PVS. The 200 000 RMB CL gets does not amount to a lot of money. Things are not cheap in China these days. Average rent for a 3 room apartment outside the city center is more than 4000 RMB per month. I watched the musical drama below about the love between a nine tailed fox fairy and a woodcutter in Zangjiajie last year. The ticket cost me a hefty AUD 70, if I remember correctly. Their locally brewed beer is quite cheap though.

#807 tbgoh288, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I read that LCW received another RM250K (approx. USD60,370 based on today's rate) from BAM. In total, just the cash element, he's got RM150K + RM150K + RM250K = RM550K (approx. USD132,816), not forgetting his condo worth RM1.5mil.

In contrast, Chen Long only took USD31K for his gold medal.

9. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

He can only buy about 500 pairs of Nike shoes with that reward, not forgetting that he may have to give away 50 pairs to be split between CBA and his coach. I feel that the Chinese government is quite stingy when it comes to rewarding their sportsmen/sportswomen. Add the 27 Olympics golds to the 107 golds in the paralympics it will only be 134 million RMB if each gold medalist is given 1 million RMB. Add another 200 millions to be split among the silver and bronze medalists the total will amount to less than 400 million RMB. This is only small change compared to the billions of USD the Chinese government gives away in foreign aids every year. Charity should begin at home.

#809 tbgoh288, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Justin L likes this.
  10. Nine Tailed Fox

Ouch. 50 pairs to WSX as well ?

tbgoh288 likes this.
  11. Nine Tailed Fox

Ouch. 50 pairs to WSX as well ?

tbgoh288 likes this.
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Not only that, according to Chen Long when asked by the compere while the Rio Olympians were on a felicitations visit in Hong Kong, his gold medal after the photo-taking and victory ceremony in Rio has been 'confiscated' by Wang Shixian - he hasn't got a chance to see it since then.:p:D

13. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

......and WSX's parents may ask for 100 pairs as dowry (meant to be a joke only). That will be barely sufficient to throw a 40-table 12-course wedding dinner for her relatives and family friends. Her parents will, of course, receive a lot of Hong Bao ( red packets containing money) which normally can cover the cost of the dinner. If the bride and bridegroom are from the same town or province they may just have a combined dinner with the cost paid by the groom alone or divided between their 2 families ( just a general observation on Chinese wedding dinners), but the dowry is a must according to Chinese culture. Wonder how much dowry GOAT paid his wife's family. Chinese outside China normally hold an 8-course dinner not including the desserts as the word 8 in Chinese sounds like prosperity. I had attended a 16-course wedding dinner in Dongguan before. Just let you know something about Chinese wedding just in case you fall in love with and decide to wed a Chinese Guniang ( maiden)

#813 tbgoh288, Sep 20, 2016
    Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think the first thing for Chen Long is to buy a residential property as matrimonial home or WSX's parents may not approve of their marriage.:p:D

If only Chen Long is a Malaysian, he would've courtesy of his Olympic gold at least a multi-million dollar home in the city and enough cash to throw a lavish wedding banquet and give a handsome dowry.

#814 Justin L, Sep 20, 2016
  15. LawrenceYONG

LawrenceYONG Regular Member

Pro
    But he won't get to sit next to his bride.
    IMG_0129.JPG

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Android Nougat

16. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

http://www.thecelebritiesnetworth.com/2016/02/top-10-all-time-richest-badminton-players.html
    If the above article is accurate and he gets to keep just 30% of what he has earned so far he should be able to buy a residential property and have a comfortable life with WSX. WSX has her own earnings too.

#816 tbgoh288, Sep 20, 2016
  17. visor

visor Regular Member

Dang, I'm sure glad that's just for the banquet, and not also for the honeymoon...

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Ah, how can I overlook his career earnings from all his prize money (not much from sponsorship and product endorsements, unlike Lin Dan). Good for him. Wedding bells are ringing, wedding bells are ringing...

19. Nine Tailed Fox

That's torturous :eek:.

Where is the nearest court ? That will be beneficial for me :D

20. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member