Chen Long ( 谌龙 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by robin7, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Even scarier than Chou Tien Chen's.

Chen Long's physicality is what defines him ,even more so than Lin Dan's at his peak condition.

2. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

swunk likes this.
  3. swunk

swunk Regular Member

You have to be a blind imbecil to think that CL won olympics by luck...

the article is very interesting indeed and translates rather well by google ) Thanks!

#883 swunk, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  4. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What a lengthy article. It mostly covers Chen Long's journey in the years prior to and ending with attaining the Rio Olympic gold with Chen Long himself expressing his personal feelings and views, the trials and tribulations as well as the elation, the highs and lows in his career so far.

That particular brickbat against him "team insect, individual dragon" was leveled at him by some mean people who coined the term blaming him for losing three team championships for China, namely, the Incheon AG'14, the 2015 Thomas Cup, and the 2016 Thomas Cup, despite his winning three successive individual championships, viz. 2014 WC, 2015 WC and the Rio'15 gold, even attributing his Olympic triumph mostly to luck.

Needless to say, that's not what they actually meant,only that some people were unforgiving towards him for the team losses and continued to slam him after his surprising but well-deserved victories in the individual events, capturing the Rio Olympic gold for his third major consecutive success following the two world championships.

All I can say is that the best rebuttal or refutation of that thoughtless and unkind remark, spiteful and harsh words, is from none other than Lee CW himself who at the post-Rio'16 interview admitted,
    “I’m really sorry to disappoint them. I tried my best, but I’ve got to accept that Chen Long played better than me.

“He was well prepared and managed to retrieve all my shots.

“I played better today than I did in the 2012 (London) Olympics and all the World Championships. It was just not my day, but I never once gave up...." http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...ays-sorry-after-heartbreaking-final-rio-loss/ (I supposed he's referring only to all his matches with Chen Long regarding the world championships).

I mean anyone who followed Chen Long's performance at Rio and watched the historic final would be hard put to entertain any doubts about Chen Long's resounding ultimate victory. At Rio, The Dragon, was in his pinnacle throughout the tournament. He simply displayed badminton of the highest order of magnitude from beginning to end, to me, perhaps second only to Lin Dan's Beijing Olympics 2008, superlative, in my humble opinion.

Dangho, gelopisan and swunk like this.
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.qq.com/a/20170115/017873.htm

On 15th Jan, Chen Long attended the CCTV 2016 Sports Personality of the Year Award Ceremony in Beijing as one of the nominees, all dressed to the nines in a suit, looking debonair.

Wang Shixian on social media teased him:" Handsome, leave a phone number, OK?"

Also in contention for the Best Sportsman Award are Table Tennis Olympic Champion Ma Long, Swimming Olympic Champion Sun Yang, Weightlifting Olympic Champion Long Qinquan, and Race Walking Olympic Champion Wang Zhenzheng.

7. swunk

swunk Regular Member

i wonder how he fits those legs of his into those pants )

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Must be a tailor-made suit.

9. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Too bad he didn't win the award, Ma long won it. Actually none of shuttlers won a thing there.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm not the least bit surprised at Ma Long winning the award - he's been in excellent form throughout the Olympic year. Actually, when he missed out on the previous London Olympics, I felt sorry for him and for a couple of years he tended to waver a bit on the big occasions whether individual or team majors but not anymore as he's now both World and Olympic Champion.

11. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Right, after that unlucky Oly he came back mentally tougher and has been at the top of his game ever since. I think 2015-2016 was his, he has won almost everything there is to win esp in 2016.
    But still when one talks about table tennis, we would immediately remember Zhang Jike, like Lin Dan in badminton.
    oh yeah Ma long got defeated by this new kid Liang Jingkun in SF in the CTTSL'16.

12. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Are you kidding? Overall he may have won almost everything Olympics, WC, AE, but in 2016 he won nothing but the Olympics. There's a lot more than the Olympics that year. :D

Edit: Sorry, I thought you were talking about Chen Long, the description at the beginning fit him quite well, too.

13. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

He is talking about Chen Long's brother, Ma Long.

Rob3rt likes this.
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Personally, I like Ma Long more than Zhang Jike and am glad that he finally won the World and the Olympic crowns beating ZJK on both occasions. Instead Zhang Jike, who often shines at the majors, is the one who is somewhat shaky at the team majors recently.

Ma Long losing to an unknown youngster in the CTTSL is news to me though not totally unexpected as Chinese table tennis has so much depth in talents. I'd have thought Fan Zhendong, still only 19 years old but WR No.2 already, is his greatest threat, and it should be.

15. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Liang Jingkun is brilliant, not so new though he was picked up to play in the 2015 World Championships. Heres if you're interested his match vs Ma Long. ..

Justin L likes this.
  16. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Their parents like to name their kids 'dragon', but one dubbed insect, the other one dubbed strongest man on earth by netizens. You know which one, right? :)

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  17. Nine Tailed Fox

Chinese fans barely believe in Chen Long. To them, Lin Dan is still the numero uno in the Chinese Badminton. The flag bearer , the Super man.

18. Nine Tailed Fox

Chen Long has scored one past Wang Shixian, strangely even before the Kickoff.

Untitled.png

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Chen Long's birthday on 18th January.

Gong Weijie's weibo(microblog):

Brother @Chen Long Happy Birthday @Vikey
    Waiting for your dragon baby to be born

[Is it really Gong Weijie's weibo ? Chen Long and Wang Shixian aren't officially married yet, as far as we know. Wang Shixian pregnant ? If true, their wedding bells will be ringing very soon. - Justin]

20. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    maybe they are officially married, i mean register, just the tradisional ceremony not done yet. like zhang nan and zhao yuenlei