Chen Long ( 谌龙 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by robin7, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The fact is that's not how LCW reacted in 2013 upon learning of Lin Dan's wild card award, he whined and even poured it on in a way that was not much different from some of his fanatic fans here. No, I'm not going to rake up the past, it's sufficient that I disabuse you of what you thought he might be thinking this time.

I'm more than happy that Chen Long got what he rightfully deserved, and I praise BWF for having the good sense to do what is clearly called for, a prudent decision.

As for the WC itself, I still think one of the Super Trio have the best chance of prevailing, it depends on who among them is in consistent top form and play better that day, though I won't entirely rule out one or two dark horses. Actually, it's a bit too early to say.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The news is still fresh, why not wait for LCW's response to be heard ?

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

So according to you 3 tournament victories (one of them 3 years old!) are sufficient to get a wild card? I just have to state the facts once again so people do not get carried away with your praising of CL's results:

He did win only 2 tournaments in the last 1,5 years, whilst LD won 5 and LCW won 6! Other players have won 2 titles as well, Viktor Axelsen for example. And the difference between Chen Long and LD is that LD did not compete during that time and was pretty much given the benefit of doubt that he could perform on a high level while Chen Long did compete and showed poor results, plus he skipped a few tournaments. Actually it boils down to that BAC victory last week. One has to ask himself, is one tournament victory after the qualifying period enough to get a wild card? For me, it's not.

Also I don't agree with your argument about short-sightedness. Competition is about here and now, not about past achievements and resting on your laurels. He won the WC in 2014, so what? A lot has changed since then. What's the point in rules and qualifying at all then? Let's say Chen Jin stopped playing for a while after his WC gold and showed poor results just before the next WC? Would he deserve a wild card?

nokh88 likes this.
  4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Is BWF submissive to CBA?
    Would they offer the same if CL is not from China?

Why only LCW's thoughts?
    What about the others like VA, CTC? They must be thinking, wtf BWF?

And what about CL's thoughts? Does he think he deserves the wild card? Won't he be ashamed?

5. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Maybe the rule ought to be reigning World and Olympic champions get an automatic spot for the next WC?

6. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

I think defending champions in all tournaments should be invited back, provided that they meet minimum performance standards as at the eligibility date such as Top 100 for SS, Top 64 for SSP and Top 32 for WC.

Olympic Champions get invite to the next WC and the WC champions before the Olympics get extra 3,000 points towards Olympic qualification.

7. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Just in case that BWF does come to this thread: you should be applauded for showing leadership, having the guts to make the right decision for the good of the sport.

volcom and Justin L like this.
  8. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    I think it's a good use for the wild card. Don't recall anyone complaining when all OG champs were offered free wild cards for Dubai SSF. If you're not gonna use a wild card for the OG and two-time defending world champ, why even have it?

Plus, let's be real...CL is world #9 as of qualification cutoff date, it's the year after the olympics, there's probably some random world #87 out there or whatever who ends up on the list, retiring, and having CL take his place.

9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    you're kidding, right?

you really think a world class athlete is thinking "hey, don't let the #9 ranked player play because it will make it harder for me to win it... you're not being fair bwf!" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: what are you, like, 12? are you, like, in middle school?

is this a reflection of what you would be thinking if you were ranked higher than #9, yet knew the #9 is a threat to 'your' coveted title?

i'd bet money on the fact the other players don't care who the wild card went to. 'i only deserve to be world champion after i beat the 6 matches in front of me.' ... that is what i think they think.

volcom, tbgoh288 and Justin L like this.
  10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

A safe bet would be that they are not thinking your way.
    And if someone has a different opinion then you, why do you insult him?

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Did Lin Dan, immediately after London Olympics, and Chen Long, immediately after Rio Olympics, know they would be awarded wild cards for the world championship next year?

#1131 pcll99, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  12. syntaxerror

syntaxerror Regular Member

If VA, CTC can't beat the world's best player then they do not deserve to win WC. Simple as that.

samkool, volcom and Justin L like this.
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

First off, Chen Jin can't compare with Chen Long, other than their common surname in English, in Mandarin t's different character.Period.

And what's the criteria for wild card? It's BWF's prerogative, not yours, and they've stated in no uncertain terms their justification. For me, it's enough that a player is the reigning or defending world champion, even if he won nothing else (think Marin in WS), not to say he's ranked No.9 due to unforeseen circumstances.

I repeat, for the WC as befits its title, if a WR#150+ or lower gets to compete, the top 10 don't ? BWF rules and regulations aren't perfect nor ideal, hence the option of wild cards to redress the balance where necessary, and Chen Long's abnormal position is crying to be addressed loud and clear.

When Badminton Scotland is allowed to use 5 wild cards freely for herself, the more so BWF as the world governing body, no dispute on that one.

Why make a mountain out of a molehill on Chen Long's wild card ? Search your heart. Enough said for me.

Hail BWF ! Great job.

volcom likes this.
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Submissive to CBA ? Dream on. You're discrediting BWF, questioning its authority, principles, objectivity and impartiality. Utter nonsense. Downright groundless. Wild and irresponsible accusation without the flimsiest evidence or plausible argument at all.

Who says to consider only LCW's thoughts, who is he or any player for that matter? Why stop at VA or CTC, ask everybody else, all the rest of the world ranked players down to the lowest who might remotely qualify for the WC. Maybe they should come together and sign a petition or stage a protest ?

You care about Chen Long's thoughts, don't kid me ? Yes, he absolutely deserves it, a gross injustice if he is excluded on tenuous grounds. He ashamed? Which planet or galaxy are you from ? On the contrary, he should feel proud of himself, proper pride. If he were your MA's player, you'd not hesitate to put him on a pedestal, and beaming with pride yourself. Instead, you ought to be ashamed of yourself, yes,you.

volcom and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well said. If they really believe Chen Long is only at No.9 in the world, what are they afraid of ? What's all the commotion about ? They had better be anxious about the WR 1 to 8,instead of focusing on the WR9.

Any world champion worth his salt fears no one, accepts all challengers, takes on all comers. Bring it on.

volcom likes this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What if it were LCW who is at No.9 or whatever position and left out ? I'd argue for his wild card entry all the same, except that it's a bit pushing it as he's not the reigning WC - successive silver medallist counts ? - but for all his achievements in recent years,he still deserves it.

volcom likes this.
  17. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Only reputation and viewers matters.
    Money talks and that is it.

18. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Lin Dan in 2013 - Defeated Chen Long, Lee Chong Wei. Deserved World Champion.

Lin Dan in 2011 - Defeated Peter Gade, Lee Chong Wei. DWC

Lin Dan in 2009- Defeated Peter Gade, Chen Jin. DWC

Lin Dan in 2007- Defeated Sony Kwuncoro , Chunlai Bao. DWC

Lin Dan in 2006 - Defeated Chen Hong, The Bao Chunlai. DWC

Ughh! This World Championship competition is so freaking tough.

How to win one?

19. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I like when Justin says "Enough said for me", immediately followed by three messages!

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

My indiscretion, I should place that statement right at the last. An oversight or careless mistake on my part, thanks for pointing it out.:)