Children: best age to start badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bitteren, Apr 6, 2015.

1. holhm22

holhm22 Regular Member

Student
    It's sad lol, most of my friends are around my skill level, soem better, and a few of them are younger than me too. :eek:
    But then again, I haven't took any sort of lesson/training since 1.5 years ago, and the only closest thing to that was drills for my school badminton team recently.

#21 holhm22, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  2. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

There's really no proof that starting at earlier ages will enhance your natural skill tremendously. It's down to the people themselves. Some kids who start earlier might grow tired and even dispise the game even more. Some who start late also do not guarantee they'll be better at it. If you love badminton, you'll eventually want to get better and better. If you dislike it...then that's the end of it. Indeed, many professional clubs welcome earlier age kids in hope to search the new talented players that can be nurtured for years ahead. probability of finding the right one is like 1 out of 40 kids, with 39 kids would never fulfill the expectation of their coach.

3. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    While there might not be any formal proof, it all makes sense. People that would quit would likely do so whether they start early or late. But people that do very well tend to start early. By the time they reach teens, they're already very familiar with a lot of basic skills, had gone through lots of tournaments, with mental skill practice. What goes well with them is that they've time that older kids or adult don't have due to college/work.

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I think what's important at the younger ages (<10 years old) is just exposure to sports in general. Some kids that I've coached that have started late but have a lot of general sports experience will pick up the badminton strokes intuitively and quickly. Other kids might play no other sports, and learning the techniques can be more challenging for them.

For younger kids, general body coordination is still low so they should be exposed to a variety of sports to develop that. Badminton can certainly be one of these sports, but having more sports ensures that you hit a more diverse range of movement skills. For instance, a young kid probably won't be getting much backhand or jump training from beginner badminton, but they can learn those movements via throwing a frisbee or playing basketball.