China coach - unfair Tactic?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by virusvoodoo, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Funny, LYB made some big hoohaa bout that when some Danish players doing the same thing to the shuttlecock problem. While he himself is the 1st who does such a thing!

2. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    if you watch the AE2004 MS final and the Thomas Cup Final both between LD and PG, there were on a couple of occasions where you can distinctively hear in the background 1 person yell "out" before the shuttle hit the ground. this was the case for both of the players.

i clearly remember a rally in AE2004 where LD hit a really high over hand clear mainly out of desperation and it seemed out and somebody (i was pretty sure it was the coach) yelled out way before the birdie was about to hit the ground. incedently the birdie landed in and LD gave PG a small rye smile.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    you have to make a distinction between just shouting out or comments deliberately directed to a peson.

If it's shouting out in general, it's very difficult to do anything.

If it's directed towards a person deliberately, I believe that would be verbal intimidation. I'm not a lawyer but I think it's called 'battery'. If a person actually finger pointed to a person, then that is very deliberate and the coach should be banned.

Hmm, good case for IBF to discuss upon. We may see something like football where coaches can be banned from courtside.

As for LCW, he's got to learn to deal with such issues. Of course people are going to do that to him. He's the biggest threat to the MS chinese winning the gold medal in the Olympics at this very time. He should to comfort in the fact that the chinese are really very worried about him. And then he should draw quiet determination to overcome this obstacle. If he lets this become his weakness, then that only benefits his opponent.

This kind of thing also happens in junior competitions with overzealous parents. LCW is not a kid anymore. He has to realise it's a real world out there. Sometimes people are your friends, others are not and you have to cope with the ones who are not.

LCW has my sympathy. But every player has to deal with heckling from the audience. LCW is no different in this respect.

4. mikemike

mikemike Regular Member

boss
    LYB想打断的不是leechongwei的腿

其实他是借此发泄对李矛的不满.昨天的比赛中,李矛调教过的李玄一击败chenjin的时候,他已经感觉的很不自在.他觉得自己是世界上羽毛球圈子中最厉害的人物,而李矛调教出的学生经常打败他的这个梦.

LYB的表现与一个国家队的总教练身份极不相称,这点我们中国人都觉得丢脸.

I'll translate it later ,,hold on.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    aye. Li Mao and Li Yongbo. these guys are like little kids.

all kudos to Li Mao though, without him bringing up the level of badminton whereever he goes, we will never see talented players like LCW and LHI sprouting out and challenging the ever strong Chinese players.

6. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper

Oh really? Li Mao used to be Lee Hyun-Il's coach? Hmm, but it seems like Lee Hyun-Il and Lee Chong Wei differ in their playing style.

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    All respect to LYb... what he does is just tactics to win. He will do whatever that is nessesary to win. That is just him. He is just capitalizing on the weaknesses of his opponents.
    But from the ethics point of view, what he did was wrong and should be reviewed for actions to be taken.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Li Mao is instrumental in bringing up the level of Korean MS (and also WS) to the level they are.

there is a long history to it. do a search to find out some of the details. the gist of it is that Li Mao and Li Yongbo had a big argument and that lead to Li Mao leaving the Chinese coaching team and find opportunity elsewhere.

9. chehsi

chehsi Regular Member

Administrative
    Other than the 'break his leg' thing and the finger pointing thing.. I read from today's Star paper that according to LCW, LYB also said 'shut up!' whenever LCW let out a cry after winning a point.

LCW also said "I do not mind losing and I am not out to pick a fight with anyone. I have a good relationship wiht most of the players from other countries and do not treat the Chinese players as sworn enemies".

The article is not available on the website yet. Shall post it up once available.

But... It looks so unprofessional to shout like that right? Did I read somewhere that LYB shouted 'Ta Ma De' as well?? It's like shouting 'f***' during the competition. Dun care if it's to a specific person or not.. it's still rude right? Like later we have to classified badminton game as 18SG :p

I mean.. look at LM... he just sit there.. and cool only. And only talk to his player during the break. If there's a good shot, he just claps. No need shout shout le...

10. chehsi

chehsi Regular Member

Administrative
    Ok... just got this from The Star website.

Saturday September 23, 2006

Badminton: End of the charge

WORLD number one Lee Chong Wei crashed out of the World Championships when he fell 20-22, 21-12,18-21 to China’s Bao Chunlai in a dramatic quarter-final match yesterday.

Malaysia’s challenge in the men’s singles also came to an end yesterday when Mohd Hafiz Hashim fell to another Chinese, second seed Lin Dan 21-10, 21-9.
    Chong Wei, the top seed, had been seen as Malaysia’s best hope to win the country’s first world title but succumbed to the combination of the pressure of being the top seed and also Chunlai’s good tactical game.
    The match, however, was overshadowed by what Chong Wei described as unsportsmanly behaviour by the Chinese chief coach Li Yongbo.

Chong Wei claimed he lost his cool during the match after Yongbo, who was seated in the crowd, yelled for Chunlai to break his (Chong Wei’s) legs.
    Yongbo was also heard telling Chong Wei to shut up when the Malaysian let out a cry of joy after winning a point.

The Chinese chief coach was also spotted standing up and pointing his finger at the Malaysian shuttler as the latter was walking into the mixed zone area to meet the awaiting press after his match.

“It is very unsportsmanlike and unbecoming of a chief coach to behave like that. His intention may have been to affect me psychologically, but this is not the right way to do it.

“This is badminton, not boxing. A chief coach should not stoop so low to get his player to win the match. And it is also not the first time that Yongbo has asked his player to break my legs. He also did it during the Hong Kong Open final when I played Lin Dan,” said a fuming Chong Wei.

“I do not mind losing and I am not out to pick a fight with anyone. I have a good relationship with most of the players from other countries and do not treat the Chinese players as sworn enemies.”

National chief coach Yap Kim Hock, speaking on behalf of team manager Datuk Lim Teong Kiat who was not present during the post-match press conference, said Malaysia were seriously considering lodging an official protest against Yongbo’s conduct.

Although he was fuming at Yongbo’s antics, Chong Wei did not take anything away from Chunlai’s first-ever career victory over him.

“It was a 50-50 match and all credit to Chunlai for coming well prepared. I am not satisfied with several line calls that went against me but I have to live with that since I am the top seed and everyone here would love to see me fall,” added the shuttler.

In the match, Chong Wei lost the first game in deuce despite being in control much of the time. But he recovered well to force the tie into a rubber game with an easy 21-12 win in the second.
    After trading point for point till 15-15 in the third game, Chong Wei allowed his opponent to pull away and close out the match after several disputed line calls.

Chong Wei was also troubled by a flesh injury to his playing hand’s ring finger, sustained when he fell awkwardly in the second game. His finger was bleeding and required treatment.

Chong Wei was not the only high seed to fall yesterday. Third seed Chen Jin failed to make it an all-Chinese semi-final with Chunlai after falling 14-21, 21-19, 12-21 to South Korea’s Lee Hyun-Il.
    Fourth seed Peter-Gade Christensen of Denmark also bowed out in the quarter-final stage, losing 17-21, 21-15, 12-21 to seventh seed Chen Hong of China.

11. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

Actually I would like to hear LYB's/china's press side of the story so im still waiting for the translation mikemike...

12. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

I seriously doubt the china press will say anything bout it....

13. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

but if Malaysia is really going to file a complain to IBF, then im sure they have lots to say.

14. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    i would be shocked if the chinese team didnt say anything about this matter. because of the seriousness of the accusation, i think china has but to respond and give an explaination.

15. eugene

eugene Regular Member

IT Consultant
    well, LCW is indeed lost concentration during the ending stage in 3rd game but there were few bad calls affected his emotion. I strongly believe IBF should have better control in the linesman. sigh... why it only happened to LCW & TH?

16. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I can tell you what the press is going to say "there is no such thing as LYB intimidating a player. LCW made up the story and what he heard was coming from the audience, not LYB". There is also a possibility the following line is added "LCW is not "chinese", how can he understanding Mandarin" :D :D

17. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    it says in the article that LYB was in the crowd. that arena must have been pretty loud. how could LWC have heard LYB from that distance? if he did hear him, LYB must have been yelling pretty damn hard.

i was under the impression that LYB was sitting behind the court and watching the game

18. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

And also they will most likely say "we dont mean that way, its just a normal tactic thingy.... blablabla.....":p

19. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I doubt IBF is going to do anything.....they have not done anything in the past, do you expect them to do anything this time !!! What we need is to create a new acronym for this behavior called "LBY"

20. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

From another source i heard he is sitting just outside ZN court. He is coaching ZN's match during the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.