China has failed three times to capture the Thomas Cup on HOME SOIL

Discussion in 'Thomas / Uber Cup Finals 2012' started by Miqilin7, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    I purposely put this up on this channel because i think nobody has been discussing about this. Since Thomas Cup is around the corner, I realised China has failed on three separate occasions, they finished as semifinalists all three editions for 1996 and 1998 in Hong Kong China then followed by 2002 in Guangzhou, China.

Can China break this jinx once and for all in Wuhan 2012?

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Better be. Should be easy with LD and CL in top form. Should be a white wash again. ;)

3. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    With Lin Dan, China has ended its title drought for 14 years. I am sure he can do it once

4. tommy_bun

tommy_bun Regular Member

China's biggest enemy still coming from korea...If Lee Hyun ill to be korea's 3rd MS it'll be more dangerous as he will meet CJ...MD is still 50-50...If China manages to take 1st or 2nd MD,then surely China will win

5. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

based on china current form

its quite difficult for them to lose

6. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

Currently yes, I believe they can. MD will probably be hardest for China though.

7. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    China's current men squad:

Lin Dan
    Chen Long
    Chen Jin
    Wang Zhengming
    Cai Yun
    Fu Haifeng
    Chai Biao
    Guo Zhendong
    Zhang Nan
    Xu Chen

As for their team line-up, this is obviously arrangement by LYB:

MS1: Lin Dan
    MD1: Cai Yun & Fu Haifeng
    MS2: Chen Long
    MD2: Chai Biao & Guo ZhenDong
    MS3: Chen Jin

The line-up looks pretty strong i guess. The teams that could potentially beat them are Japan and South Korea. Indonesia and Denmark don't appear threatening from the men's singles aspect.

Never underestimate Japan please. They have a very strong line-up though not as formidable as CHN as let's not forget what kind of trick Park Joo Bong may pull from his sleeves this time.

They have Tago, Sasaki and Yamada in MS. All three can be extremely dangerous and can cause upsets too. I hope CHN don't meet Japan in the same half.

8. sen

sen Regular Member

The 3 times that HK or Guangzhou hosted Thomas Cup happened when INA still has good players playing well as a result of Tang coaching in Indonesia. Tang moved back to China at that time and created China golden generation which ruled the period after 2000 until today.

The golden generation was too young in 2002 so Indonesia still can win. Maybe in 2014, when they are too old and there are other countries who can catch up. I believe INA can have 2 strong young doubles pair for 2014 and hopefully a good 3rd singles.

So for 2012, I think it is still China. If there is upset(or home jinx), then maybe it will be Japan or Korea. Denmark and Indonesia is less likely.

9. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    I think Malaysia could be the weakest ever contingent sent to participate in Wuhan, maybe the worst Malaysian team I have ever seen since 1992.

MS1: Lee Chong Wei
    MD1: Koo Kien Keat & Tan Boon Heong
    MS2: Liew Daren
    MD2: Goh Vei Shem & Tan Wee Kiong
    MS3: Zulfadi Zulkifli

Other teams must see this imaginary line-up as the biggest joke ever in the Thomas Cup though I strongly think BAM should let ZZ experience what's it like to play in a team event. Perhap they stand a better chance or the result looks better if Lee Chong Wei plays all the men singles matches instead.

10. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Don't even talk about Malaysia being in the Thomas Cup, qualifying also got problem already.
    To be honest, their 2nd and 3rd MS don't stand much of a chance even against non-big guns such as Thailand. Their 1st MD is above average but will get crushed by all the top pairs. Their 2nd MD are blowing hot & cold and playing yoyo at the moment.

Even against weaker countries, Malaysia can lead 2-0 only to lose 2-3!

11. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Yes, they are gonna make a fool of themselves in Wuhan and I wouldn't really bear to watch. ***Facepalm.

The end of Malaysia after Lee Chong Wei's era

12. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Spot on. The best they could do on paper is 2 - 3. But then the impossible is also possible but highly unlikely. Let them qualify first before we increase the odds in MY favour.

13. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Korea may just nick it. ;)

14. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Highly unlikely unless LD and CL screw up.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    agree. all 3 MS players from China have a very high advantage over the Korean counterparts. and them MD1 is around even, only MD2 has a slight disadvantage.

having said that though, nothing is impossible. who'd guess that for the past 1.5 years the Uber Cup actually has been sitting in Seoul instead of Beijing?

16. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

I still remember this, the previous Uber Cup was an unexpected surprise and highly entertaining. The look on LYB's face was priceless.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    but you bet that he is geared to have that fixed.

and barring any more surprises, for the first time ever in history, all the world championship trophies will be sitting in one spot at the same time, includes 5 individuals and 3 team world championships.

18. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Yes, China failed three times to win Thomas Cup when they host the Cup. But in 1996,1998 and 2002 , China team not as strong as now . At that time they only had 1 or 2 strong men singles. ZERO strong men doubles. No wonder they failed to win the cup.

Meanwhile Indonesia at their golden era with 2-3 strong men singles and 1-2 strong men doubles.

If China men (specially the singles) play as usual (didnot had a choke like the girls in 2010), they will win the cup even if they had to play the third men single.

19. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

The only player who in China Thomas team probably has a mini choke is Chen Long. This is his first Thomas Cup where he is responsible to win a point. And BC too from the second MD. BUt he had GZD as his partner to help him.

Others like Lin Dan, Cai/Fu, CJ, GZD already had tons of experience. Specially LD and Cai/Fu who had play 6 and 5 times Thomas Cup final.

20. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

make it four times for China this year if truly fail to capture Thomas Cup on home soil...