China team withdrew from SS Final

Discussion in 'Super Series Master Finals 2008' started by huangkwokhau, Dec 11, 2008.

1. modious

modious Regular Member

IND = India

INA = Indonesia

2. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    i think CHN is probably doing the right thing in terms of peaking...they correctly trained and peaked for the OG, albiet maybe selective in which SS they played in...when LD came back from OG, he had trained enough to peak for the next few SS and he had good results...maybe they're planning the team's next big peak (after MO/KO)...if you wondered why LCW isn't doing as well, he's kinda been playing non-stop, and there aren't time in between to train and rest to properly prepare and peak...:p

3. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    If Indra substitute the top players...err! I am not sure the stadium will be even quarter-full even if Indra plays in your underwear and soaking wet LOL...:p:D

4. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    SSF is intended for the world's best to compete...sure, it is CHN's decision to pull out and nobody can force CHN...but w/o LD, CJ and TH, the locals will probably still attend especially LCW fans, but for baddy fans flying in from other countries just to see the first ever SSF tourney, I am not sure how many would go for it, therefore it is a BIG deal with CHN missing...BTW, the way LD has been playing lately and the ease LD took care of LCW in OG and CO, one more spanking could be a mental block to LCW who used to previously extend LD to 3-setters, now there really is no competition to LD and someone say LYB pull out is fear of losing, I don't think so...perhaps, the obstacle to stopping LD is from CHN, ie if LD meets CJ in final, with no ranking points and gold medal at stake, it will be an open competition and LD could lose to CJ.

5. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Whether some players compete or not, badminton is, or is supposed to be, bigger than any player or any dominant nation whatsoever.

Anyway, having been converted from a fanatical fan to an, ahem, almost neutral supporter, I am there for the game, and also to take a break from a hectic schedule of work and meet friends.

6. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    http://www.badzine.info/index.php?o...-in-the-foot-&catid=19:main-feature&Itemid=51

EDITORIAL – China out of SS Finals : Shooting itself in the foot
    EDITORIAL – China out of SS Finals : Shooting itself in the foot [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Badminton has a clear paradox. Its strongest nation, China, relying on amazing shuttlers, on superb crowds and great venues with high standard of organization, seems to be shooting itself in the foot.

Editorial by Raphael Sachetat, Badzine's Chief Editor. Photos : Badmintonphoto (archives)
    As if admitting few months ago that China had been fixing matches in an Olympic Game semi final was not enough to dilute the sport’s credibility - China’s head coach Li Yongbo (photo, left) has made known publicly that Zhou Mi was “asked” to lose to Zhang Ning in 2004 Olympic Games’ semi final - Chinese officials have recently once again, in some ways, given a tough hard time to those trying to develop the sport. In spite of the remarkable effort from the BWF to promote a new circuit and pulling out a last minute deal to hold its Grand Finale at last – a tough task in this time of crisis – China simply withdrew all its shuttlers from the event. Citing injury, a tough calendar and training camp…
    There is something that I must be missing, here. Chinese badminton is, no question asked, the best in the world. Its shuttlers are so dedicated; the crowds that fill the badminton venues are such enjoyable fans. The entire population lives and breaths badminton. The recent Olympic Games were a justifable proof of China’s ability to hold extraordinary events and the success was mainly thanks to the hardworking volunteers and staff, the media covering all sports with impressive competence, and of course, thanks to the incredible Chinese athletes amongst which badminton players.
    Today, once again, the decision to withdrawal the entire Chinese team from the BWF’s top and most prestigious competition sounds like a challenge given to the governing world body and the sport of badminton worldwide as if to show that China doesn’t need anyone else to make the sport grow. In other words, a slap in the face of the BWF. This is obviously harming the sport and causing a lot of frustration for a lot of people. Even shuttlers from other nations, who could simply think they’d enjoy better prize money, but instead, voice a concern for the sake of the sport. Of course, Chinese players have had a tough year and are tired. And the schedule is hard on everyone. But compromise must be found, sometimes.
    So many people have worked endless days and nights to try to get money into the sport and promote the sport on a global scale. And when they succeed, their only reward is to see the world’s best turn their noses up at those efforts and walk away with their backs tu[​IMG]rned. Not really motivating, if you ask me. The players themselves are not to blame – they are probably the first one’s to be frustrated, to participate in Super Series all year long, to only learn that they’re forbidden to play in the finals – the icing on the cake, the pinnacle of their season.
    Cultural clash with sport values
    There is a cultural clash between the Chinese interest seen by some of China badminton officials and the sport’s values in the way things have been handled for the past few years. Match fixing has been one of them, but not the least.
    Defending patriotic values can be understood and has to be respected. Everyone has the right to feel proud when they see a compatriot on the highest stand of the podium. And if China sees it as its main goal – to put the Chinese flag on top rather than any individual – this is a cultural thing and once again, it has to be respected. All involved in the badminton world, and elsewhere, have their own thoughts, beliefs, rights and wrongs. China can not be, in any case, blamed for willing to get medals and put their general interest in front of the individuals.
    However, badminton is a world wide sport with rules, ethics and values. Fairness is one of them and match fixing between compatriots obviously goes against all three notions. Not to mention a lack of respect towards the TV viewers, the live spectators, who have paid to see Athletes give their very best on court. When my compatriot Pierre de Coubertin gave birth to modern Olympic era, he clearly stated that the main thing was to participate and give its best. That was the rule, the ethics. It is again stipulated in the BWF rules that all athletes should compete at their best and not yield to compatriots because of strategic plans. Badminton is – apart from few events – an individual sport.
    [​IMG]Chinese athletes are amazing. They don’t deserve to be told to win or lose on demand. They don’t deserve to be deprived from an amazing competition after a year of sacrifices. The Chinese population doesn’t deserve to see one of the top events being played without the chance to bring back a medal from the first ever Super Series Finals.
    Chinese officials have done a wonderful job bringing up the game in their own country and showing how talented and hard working their shuttlers are. It is now time to work together with the outside world and the international community, to make the sport grow as one or risk loosing contact with the outside world altogether. To “play by the rules” and enter such events as the Super Series finals. If not everyone as some may be tired or injured, but at least show some support and send some of the top class badminton players.
    They should make compromise as everyone does on a global scale for the ultimate good of the sport on our planet not just within our individual countries so that the sport, as a whole, grows and benefits everyone. If only Chinese Badminton does benefit from its own growth, the sport might simply be taken out of the Olympic Program, someday. Sponsors will then vanish and the few money coming in will be gone for a while. That’s what is called shooting oneself in the foot…

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think China is trying to send a strong message to the BWF by withdrawing from 3 consecutive super series, the 2008 SS Final, the 2009 Malaysian SS, and the 2009 Korean SS. Someone in the BWF must have insulted or hurt the feelings of the Chinese. Maybe the change in personnel in the BWF has something to do with it.

8. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Bleak future

I just think badminton future is heading nowhere, such a sad thing taking one small step forward and 2 big ones backward!

9. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    And badminton future in Olympics will be in jeopardy as well?
    Perhaps safe till 2016. After that? :confused:

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Badminton is only a Sport/Game

After reading the last few posts, I have to admit that, even at Badminton Central, many of our members here are still considering that our top players and/or nations are BIGGER that our sport itself. :(

The truth is there is no correct answer, because...
    Without Badminton, our top players/nations cannot show off their excellence, and
    Without our top players/nations, our Badminton still needs developing and/or is still underdeveloped as it is.

To me, Badminton is only a Sport/Game.

We, as 'Friends of Badminton', can only hope that our sport can become more popular worldwide. It's as simple as that.

IMHO, to say that we have to miss out from participating in some world events, because we have to train in order to maintain our supremacy over the sport, is just not the right thing to do.

11. Raphy

Raphy Regular Member

12. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
  13. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

As expressed in an earlier post, I don't like this decsion at all. I already posted to Chinese website to condemn this act. However, there are two sides to a coin.

How can the "top and most prestigious competition" come to nothing repeatedly and only put together at the last minute? Full credit for the great effort at the end but this is not how it should be done. By the way, where is this "top and most prestigious competition" on the 2009 schedule?

With the Olympics, this has been a particularly draining year for the top players and teams, starting from the start of qualifying period last year. You can't just throw in something at end to extend this grueling season even more. Give the players a break to recuperate, they are the biggest assets of BWF.

There have been many rule changes that are unfriendly to the Chinese team. Some are probably necessary evils to bring more parity. Some are just hostile and unnecessary such as two-participant limit for the grand finale. There got to be a boomerang somehow, somewhere. I am not saying this is it. You can interpret it on your own.

On the topic of match fixing, in an Olympics setting, there are forces even more powerful than LYB. Team order is not unheard of in sports in general. The Chinese badminton team is not only an accomplice, but also a victim to greater forces. Away from the Olympics, I am hopeful that fair competition can be realized. The Olympics is a political event as much as a sporting event. That is what makes it great, and ugly.

As the individual rights improve in China, hopefully the players' rights will be respected. The Chinese badminton team must treat her players fairer. If Chinese teammates are free to go hard at each other, the CHN vs CHN matches should provide just as much excitement, although understandably short of a LD vs TH duel at their prime. This should also alleviate the urge to water down a competition to avoid CHN/CHN match-ups.

I would urge Chinese badminton to do more to promote the game worldwide. It would be interesting to see of the new Chinese league can help nurturing foreign players as their ping pong league.

It would also be interesting to see if BWF can put its own political baggage behind and work with all sides to bring this great sport forward.

Now, if there will be a "top and most prestigious competition" for 2009, it is time to put it on the schedule and do something about it.

14. singhzico

singhzico Regular Member

Postie
    pure ignorance

:):):) Bringing the game 2 canada won;t change a single thing look at soccer 4 example it's a global sport everywhere except north america now tell us where it went wrong u can have all the super series there and it still won't change anything accept it or join in
    :):):)

15. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

On a worldwide scale I think badminton maybe one of the most underdeveloped sports out there. It maybe strong in Asian countries but the talent from both coaching and playing is not as evenly spread as say tennis. I agree that players need to become full time pros with managers for the sport to become developed. China not participting in a tournament is a result of the Association making the decision. I'm sure some of the players individually would have liked to play and could have used the money. So if Badminton follows other sports and individual players are sponsored and have their own managers it will eventually move into being classified as a professional sport. For this to happen there would need to be a huge change to the way Associations are run currently.

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i doubt it..
    no such thing happened AFAIK;)

17. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    hm.... I'm kinda disappointed that China withdrew from the tourney... really, all the reasoning/ excuses i read are not that convincing... too much for the players? i mean, if the SS final would be such a drain for them, why bother participating in all of the SS matches right after OG? for a team whose has been talked about arranging matches, surely China could arrange better schedule to actually have healthy and more prepared players at the SS final.. like wat some of the qualifiers did, like sony.. he has ample time to rest and train since he earned enough for the SS final... so, saying it's been a hard year for the china team, really didnt make any sense as i bet every players is exhausted... and not only for OG year... but please, for the sake of the sports, dont stop your players from competing...

furthermore, if they claim that their local tourneys are more competitive that the international tourney, then china shud just create their own world of badminton and keep on playing among themselves... stop playing for SS... and definitely forget about playing for more olympics. cause with this kind of behaviour, badminton wont last long in olympic. and i believe the fans also dont need that kind of sportsmanship...

remember, this is not gambling... it's a sport where people plays for what they believe in, for their passions... the only great thing for their country to do is to fully support them and not hamper their efforts and hardworks.

peace! :cool:

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Adding my couple of sens..

..i think there is a mixture, as the fans, us/BCers will of course have different takes/opinions on this yr's SS Finale. Some do care about the participation or lack of participation from some of the top players. Some don't really care either way (probably will just enjoy the festivities and atmosphere). While some are even "relieved" after learning CHN players are not participating (as brought up in the other thread).
    But bottomline, i think badminton and to an extent BWF, is still bigger than those players who've decided to withdraw/not-participate.
    As a proof, the SS Grand Finale will still be held.;):cool:
    ..just to chime in my couple sens on the points above:
    - BWF's arrangement/preparation for this SS Finale has been somewhat discussed/brought up in the other thread. From a lack of sponsorship? to a lack of qualified host cities/venues?..As for the scheduled SS Grand Finale in 2009, i've double checked and i don't see it being mentioned/published.:p

- Somewhat concur on the grueling BWF schedule this yr, especially post Olympics. As a proof, many top players, not only from CHN, had been absent due to many reasons (e.g. injuries, doing post-OG invitations etc.).

- Now, on the issue of having individual players participating/not participating in a tourney like this, barring any reason of nursing an injury, I also feel the players should be able to participate even without the blessing of the association. If the association doesn't want to sponsor the players, then the players could incur the cost themselves. In this case, this yr's SS Grand Finale's organizer, if not mistaken, is actually sponsoring the players' participation cost. But i guess, even with that & a bigger prize money as enticements, those are still not enough to attract some of the world's top players.

Btw, a few CHN players also recently withdrew from the upcoming Copenhagen Masters (an invitation type event); thus it shows they are true to their commitment for this winter training and not so much to a pre-notion thinking that they are selecting certain tourneys/events to participate in. As to the reason for the prolonged winter training camp, that only the CHN team knows.

- Last point, the answer would be no. BWF hasn't put anything regarding next yr's SS Grand Finale or "a top and most prestigious competition" on its schedule. I guess they've realized how difficult it is to secure this type of event, thus they've decided not to pre-announce anything. But who knows, they might announce it, but probably at the last minute.:p

#78 ctjcad, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  19. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

You might want to add in the word ..... at the last minute again.........;):p:p

20. matthewteng

matthewteng Regular Member

Financial Analyst
    Maybe the Chinese team is not confident of doing well in KK. Since the Olympics, their tope seeds (Lin Dan, Xie Xingafang) have not played much, and only been really successful on home ground (HK is considered home gound for the Chinese).