China vs. Denmark - who wins?

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by kwun, May 14, 2004.

?

who will win the Thomas Cup?

1. China

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Denmark

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I truly hope that it will be close. Such exciting ties would only do justice if both teams play as if the world would end tomorrow.

May the best men win.

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Talking about stomach upset.. that is common when you eat the food outside and those food that your not familiar with. Some teams even bring their personal chefs along with them.

3. jaclyn

jaclyn Regular Member

student
    china has very strong team..............
    and they very hungry for the vitory
    but don't rule demark out
    may be they can make a upset...
    just like yesterday

4. Morten

Morten Regular Member

With Gade not 100% fit Denmark will in my opinion loose the 1 single.. Everything depends on the doubles and Kenneth and Peter Rasmussen. We can't expect a Gade with stomach problems to beat the super Dan...

5. ant0niu588

ant0niu588 Regular Member

Student
    i think china will win, but denmark will sweep the 2 point from doubles(if they give their very best). If denmark can steal a point from the single, then they will be making history. Or else, china will win the cup again. Together with the uber

6. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

If denmark really wins the tc, this is the worst thomas cup ever.... :( Just for me... :D

7. Gade supporter

Gade supporter Regular Member

why? dont say Denmark is a lousy team:( Well for me my vote goes to Denmark, the 2 doubles will win, and then Gade will finally get his victory against Lin Dan, this is actually a very exiting match Lin-Gade because this match could decide the favourite for the Olympics.

8. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

Because im really bias... :D no, actually im a chinese supporter (i think they deserve the cup more than denmark) + denmark defeated indonesia...haha.. no hard feelings ;) ... I never say denmark is a lousy team (as far as i remember) :D but the chinese are a bit too strong for them...u know who and how...

9. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

Peter gade will win the olympics... after super dan retires.... :D

10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Brave words, luckily not quoted by Li Yong Bo or Taufik.

As Margaret Thatcher said "One must always dare to dream"

We'll continue this tomorrow after the 10 th day of watching live telecasts.

11. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

After watching Korea test China in the Uber cup

one thing's sure :

1) Form book means nothing in Thomas Cup

2) Victory can be secured if players spring surprises and try new unexpected things,there is little time to analyse game plans.

12. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    It will be quite some time before Super Dan retires. Peter is already 28 now.

Unless it is Malaysia who is playing, for me, anyone can win the TC. I'm a badminton romantic - I like the intrigue and the drama. It'd be better to have both teams slug out until the wee hours of the morning with a very, very tight contest and Denmark win it, than to have China cruise to a 3 - 0 whitewash with no resistance.

That will be very boring indeed.

#32 wilfredlgf, May 15, 2004
    Last edited: May 15, 2004
  13. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

we will most probably see lin dan in beijing olympics 2008 bt wht bout peter gade??? if he continues active, maybe... who knows he may surprise everyone like Poul Erik Hoyer Larsen?? :)

14. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    In this final, everybody knows that China is the favorite.
    China has 3 singles in top 5 and 5 in top 11 (Chen Yu is 11st).
    2 strong pairs in top 10, Cai/Fu is 2nd and Zheng/Sang is 6th.

Denmark has 1 in top 10 and 4 in top 20.
    Also has 2 pairs in top 5, Lars/Jonas is 1st and Jens/Martin in 5th.

If we compare both of them, China has better singles and Denmark doubles.

The chance is big for Denmark to make a history victory this time.
    The Denmark doubles should take 2 points, and it will depend on Peter G.
    If Peter G can over class Lin Dan, then Denmark will win the TC for the first time.

The 2nd and the 3rd singles are sure for China, so just need to collect 1 point more from, the 1st single and 2 doubles. Here Denmark should get points.

My heart says China, but it is the biggest chance for Denmark and I will Denmark to win the Cup.

If Denmark wins the cup. It will be some kind of "promotion" to show the other countries out size Asia that non-Asia country also can win the sport which dominated by Asia countries.
    This is good for the development of Badminton.

15. Gade supporter

I agree with, but dont underrestimate Kenneth Jonassen and Peter Rasmussen, in 2 and 3 single, if Chen Hong is 2 single for china, I think Jonassen can beat, and you never know about Peter Rasmussen, it wasnt expected that he should win the world championship in 1997, and it wasnt expected that he some times loses to the low ranked players. As for China, Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng, I think they are the key to Chinese success, because I sense 1 danish victory in the singles, and Jens Eriksen and Martin Lundgaard are big favourites for the 2 double. I think the danish victory in one of the singles will either come from Peter Rasmussen or Peter Gade. Well Peter Rasmussen has a lot of confidence after the victory against Simon Santoso, and if it is Xia which is playing the 3 single, we could have a close match. Peter Gade has maybe played his best badminton ever when he is playing in the thomas cup, and maybe even some of the best there has ever been played by anyone, and if he can play his best, I think Lin will have a hard time winning once again, and I really hope that Gade can win, so he can build some confidence and look forward to the olympics. My brainsays China, but my heart says Denmark.

16. chungg

chungg Regular Member

student
    It's too bad that Peter is ranked higher than Jonasson this time. I remember before korea open, his rank is still lower than Jonasson, too bad that he is doing too well recently :D

Why? If Peter Gade is the second single, he will be the strongest 2nd single in this thomas cup. He can beat almost surely any 2nd single.Chen Hong, Bao CL, Taufik, etc, are lost to him recently.

If Jonasson is the first single, and Peter G is the second, then Li YoBo will have big trouble, since Lin Dan can surely beat Jonasson, but he will not know who to pick for the second single, it's too risky to put chen hong or Bao, but if he picks Xia, then Chen Yu will be the third, and Peter R may beat this unexperienced young player just as he beat Simon. Although Chen Yu is ranked much higher than Simon, he is also unreliable.

Too bad that Peter G has to play the first single, or the final would be more exciting. :(

17. Gade supporter

Peter Gade can still beat Lin, and then the final is very exciting, it could be fun if Denmark where ahead by 2-0 then it would be very interesting.

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Probably China will beat Denmark 3-0 by Midnight local time

and i can go to sleep.

We'll see in 12 hrs.

19. A fan

A fan Regular Member

Engineer
    The key for tonight’s big battle is Peter Gade’s performance, and I give Petre Gade a 52-48 chance of beating Lin Dan and the Danes will finally win the TC for the first time.

He fought a close fight against Lin Dan in the AE 2004 final, and I am sure he will study and analyse the match very carefully and thoroughly to prepare for tonight’s battle. For example he will study how many of his points did he get through a smash to the back hand or forehand or to the body? Or did he get it mostly from LD’s mistake or from dropshots …etc. Similary he will also learn how did he lose most of his points. So he will develop a strategy to beat LD and train accordingly. He has two months of preparation and will ensure to keep it under wraps until later this evening. Therefore he did not enter any tournaments, except the European Championship after the All England, even in the TC tournaments he does not have to give his 100% to beat his opponents.

The match against Sony is a ‘sacrifice’ and a gamble. If the Danes can reach the final by sacrificing Peter Gade their chances of winning the TC is greatly improved, as the Chinese still do not know him since the AE2004 tournaments. In the mean time they(the Danes) have a lot of opportunity to see LD showing all his strengths and weaknesses during all this time and they will take note of it. On the other hand if they insist that Peter Gade must win against Indonesia to gain entry to the finals, it is a losing proposition as the Chinese will have the opportunity to watch PG ‘new’ skills and will devise a plan how to beat him. That is why I still believe that Peter Gade is a sacrifical lamb in the semis, and I don’t believe his excuse of suffering from stomach ache, it is a cover up.

You can’t beat a very strong team by fighting them head on, you will be obliterated you must devise a good and thorough strategy. Study them carefully find their weak points, everyone has one, and work a plan to exploit this.

Remember also that you are most vulnerable when you believe that youre invincible. Remember the Chinese TC team in 2002? Or the Malaya team in 1958? So tonight if the Chinese are not careful the Danes can beat them, and I believe they(the Danes) will. Let’s watch this exciting and heart pounding match on RTM TV2, they will broadcast it live.

http://www.rtm.net.my/english/comercial/index.php

To me it will be either 3 -1 for Denmark (Peter Gade wins and also the doubles) or 3 -2 for China(Peter Gade lost). I will go for Denmark to win, otherwise it is too boring the TC rotated only among China, Indonesia, or Malaysia.

Go Denmark! You can do it!!

20. DanielLou

DanielLou Regular Member

Student
    Very anxious to see PG's mystical 'new' skill tonight.... :)