Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Wang Zhiyi is definitely a WS up-and-comer to watch too, in the same league as An Seyoung, just that in the just-concluded world championships, I'm more impressed by ZYM's overall performance, esp her match with Akane Y who is unarguably an even tougher nut to crack than ASY. Of course, not forgetting how WZY also bested Intanon Ratchanok, and before that she also eliminated Kim Ga Eun, a promising young KOR talent, and the veteran Cheung Ngan Yi who on her day is no easy meat either (though, admittedly, I didn't get to watch the latter two matches).

Yes, I'm very interested to see who between the two, namely, Wang Zhiyi and Zhang Yiman, will get ahead in the years to come.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I was also impressed by ZYM. Great speed, great control of the shuttle, her shots are never loose. Unfortunately she is already 24 yrs old. She will have to make some quick inroads if she is to make a name of herself.

tbgoh288, Justin L and viver like this.
  3. viver

viver Regular Member

Yes, age is definitely not in her favor. An easy answer to this would be her future competition records against top non-Chinese players. Right now in the Chinese camp, it seems only Chen Yufei is capable of beating the competition abroad.

4. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Zhang YiMan is very skillful, moves well, and takes risks. At this point, she lacks competitive experience, especially, experience with playing key points at the highest level.

In terms of age, She was badly caught by the pandemic and lost precious time at the very critical stage of her development. Nevertheless, she will be in her prime at the Paris Olympics. As long as she can continue to develop, her age should not be an issue.

I went back to check out her earlier matches, she was more error prone than what she showed at the WC. The biggest question I have is whether ZYM will be able to perform as well as she did at the World Championships. Hope her World Championship experience and medal will carry her to the next level.

Too bad that we won't be able to find out until probable All England next March. She is really entertaining to watch and a breath of fresh air. Look forward to seeing her perform again.

Justin L and tbgoh288 like this.
  5. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

To recap the results of the Chinese squad during the WC:

MS:
    ZJP (QF) lost against Lakshya Sen
    LGZ (Ro16) lost against Kidambi Srikanth
    LSF (Ro 32) lost against Kidambi as well

Overall ok performance, hoped for LSF to go further, but KS was in a better shape than expected and made his experience count. LZJ vs LS could have easily gone either way, better played by LS in the end.

WS:
    Han Yue (QF) lost against HBJ
    HBJ (SF) lost against TTY
    Zhang Yi Man (SF) lost against AY
    Wang Zhi Yi (Ro16) lost against ASY

Good performances overall, esp by HBJ and ZYM (to my surprise). HBJ may have slimmed down and worked on her stimina, but I feel she still has to work on her speed (in addition to her constistency ofc) to challenge the top tier players. She did well to take down Mia Blichfeldt and Han Yue in convincing games.

MD:
    HKX/LC (Ro 32) lost against Hoki/Kobayashi
    HJT/TQ (Final) lost against Hoki/Kobayashi
    OXY/ZN (Ro 32) lost against Chia/Soh
    Di/Wang (Ro 64) lost against Koga/Saito

HKX/LC and HJT/TQ lost to the in form pair of Hoki/Kobayashi. If these pairs had a bit more of match practice I believe it could have gone either way. But the Japanese were really convincing.
    A bit disapptionted with Di/Wang's performance in the first round. Koga and Saito improved quite a lot recently, but the Chinese weren't playing well at all...
    Good match from Ou/Zhang against Chia and Soh. Zhang looked off in his defense compared to the last few years and his serve isn't as good as it used to be either. But good to see him back in action after his last appearance during the Chinese National Games.

WD:
    CQC/JYF (Winner)
    LWM/ZY (Ro16) lost to Iwana/Nakanishi
    LXX/XYT (Ro 32) lost to Ponappa/Sikki

Happy to see CQC and JYF playing well and fired up, deserved to win this against the two stongest Japanese WD teams atm and LSH/SSC in convincing games. I was worried after their first round withdrawel at the Denmark Open due to CQC's back injury, but they are looking fit and furious.
    A bit disapptionted with the other two doubles, should have beaten their respective opponents imo.

XD:
    ZSW/HYQ (Ro 32) lost to Chang/Ng
    OXY/FXY (Ro 32) lost to Alimov/Davletova
    GXW/ZSX (Ro 32) lost to Christiansen/Boje

Didn't expect the latter pairs to advance much further, no shame in losing against the Danes or Alimov/Davletova who were in good form.
    A bit disapptionted by the loss of ZSW and HYQ though. They didn't play any tournaments since Tokyo OG due to ZSW's marriage (at least I assume that's one of the main reason). Don't want to take anything away from the HK pair who played exceptionally well that day considering their WR.
    Both of the Chinese weren't playing as sharp as we are used to see them. Surely they will come back in no time next year (depending on CBA's decisions regarding international tournaments)

Summary:
    One gold medal (WD), one silver medal (MD) and two bronze medals (both WS) is more than I would have expected tbh.
    Regarding the strict travel restirictions which reduced the preperation times for quite a few of these players and with CYF, DY/LYH CL and SYQ absent, which I would have expected to make it to the QF of their respective events at least, the performance was good overall.
    As stated above, the young WD pairs should have been able to beat the opponents they lost to, but other than that, all losses were against players/pairs which have been playing well lately or better again in this tournament.

#3685 Woesi, Dec 19, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  6. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

Regarding WD, I was really surprised that Zheng Yu couldn't last 3 games against Iwanaga/Nakanishi. She was the delicious prey for the JPN combination and LWM cannot really cover her. She showed clear stamina issue after every long rally, plus her lousy serves.
    For LXX/XYT, I never have high expectation for this pair. Just hope they can improve.

7. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

I don't follow Chinese Badminton all that much but I absolutely agree with you on the negative vibes I get from watching HJT and TQ.
    It's like HJT thinks he's better than TQ (probably is true, I admit) and so he acts like he's got the rights to sulk and pout in a low-key tantrum every time TQ makes some mistake. It's not a healthy dynamic at all. This probably affects TQ psychologically and the mistakes just pile up.

Simeon likes this.
  8. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    I am very impressed with WZY. I think she has impressed with her attacking style. As for WYM I think making unforced errors is common for her. She also lacks confidence when the going gets tough. My humble opinion.
    I feel HJT and TQ did very well in their first major tournament. They played well against the Malaysians.,which isn't easy. They will get better with more tournaments. Hope to see Weng Hong Yang playing soon.
    It is noticeable that the MS need strong smashes to add to their repertoire ,ala LKY,LZJ,SK et al

9. RedShuttle

During one of the breaks in the semi-final, the coach was telling ZYM to run with AY. I thought that I heard it wrong.

It turns out that ZYM is one of best runners on the Chinese team and often outruns male players. In fact, after the semi-final match, she chose running as her wind-down. With her success at the WC, ZYM should have more confidence to make better use of her running to contend with tough opponents.

Also, she was told less than two weeks before the team's departure that she will be competing at the WC. It goes to prove that luck favors the prepared.

Cheung, tbgoh288 and Justin L like this.
  10. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Rumor says Yaqiong and Siwei is gonna split and be paired with youngsters Lin Fangling and Feng Yanzhe instead, Du Yue was also mentioned as a possibility. Not sure what to think about this if true, China’s XD is still head and shoulders above the rest of the field despite missing out in the WC champion. So I guess it’s a smart move to look toward the future and set up youngsters for success.

11. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    olympic gold is always the goal for team china. goal achieved so it's on to the next round. zsw/hyq and wyl/hdp can't realistically be expected to be in peak form 3 years from now.

12. RedShuttle

Rumors are running rampant at this point. No one really knows, other than that changes are coming.

In early February, when the M&Q lists for the European tour stops are announced, we will know for sure.

13. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Guo xinwa is also good in mixed doubles but his smashes are so weak.

14. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Who is sun chao ranked 4th in selection matches?

15. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

16. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

17. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Zheng Siwei and Huang Yaqiong are no more, will be paired with “young players” in upcoming tournaments to experiment. ZSW’s injury issue was cited as one of the reasons.

Also, Liu Yuchen pairs Ou Xuanyi, and Zhang Nan reunited with Liu Chang. He Jiting pairs Zhou Haodong, Tan Qiang stays but now with Ren Xiangyu. Li Yinhui is taking a leave due to unspecified health reasons. Du Yue now pairs with Li Wenmei.

Cheung, djake, Simeon and 2 others like this.
  18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2022-01-24/doc-ikyakumy2321263.shtml

They're expected to participate some Europe tours on March.

Talking about Li Yinhui, her WD ranking (with Du Yue) has been removed based on BWF WR latest update, means this partneships is no longer exist.

upload_2022-1-25_9-58-23.png

19. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Interesting MD pairings they came up with...

Haven't been impressed with OXY so far and I don't think he would be able to compliments LYC anywhere as well as LJH did.

HJT/ZHD looked rather promising during Thomas/Sudirman Cup, could work out if they get used to each other more and play somewhat consistent.

LC/ZN will imo mostly depend on whether ZN will be able to (and if he is willing to put in the work to) get his defense and serve going. His net play wasn't looking too sharp either during the recent WCs, let's see if more matches can resolve this.

Also, no Huang Kaixiang?

20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Another rumor said Zheng SW will be paired up with promising youngster Zhang Shuxian (22 years old) while Huang Yaqiong new partner is Ou Xuanyi, seems Zheng/Zhang combination is more projected for Paris 2024 than the older Huang/Ou.