Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. CLEAN

CLEAN Regular Member

2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

BWF announces
    'Thorough Review' After Teenage Badminton Player's Death

"We are taking all necessary steps to thoroughly review this matter in consultation with Badminton Asia and Badminton Association of Indonesia (PBSI)," the Badminton World Federation (BWF) governing body said in a statement.

A PBSI spokesman on Monday blamed the hesitant emergency response on the referee and said that as hosts they were only adhering to BWF rules.

"Following the completion of our review, we will determine whether specific aspects of these guidelines need to be changed," the BWF added.

It is also waiting for an official report from Badminton Asia and the local organising committee "to assess whether the correct medical procedures were followed in providing aid to Zhang when he fell to the court".

Badminton great Lee Chong Wei earlier Tuesday called for changes in scheduling to give players more time to recover.

The retired Lee, a three-time Olympic silver medallist, told The Star newspaper in Malaysia that Zhang's shock death should be a wake-up call for the sport.

He said that medical teams needed to be "more alert" and called for the BWF to "review their match and tournament schedule".

"He appeared tired and it's sad to accept the reality that China's future top player is gone," Lee said.

Chinese state media has also questioned the emergency response.

https://www.barrons.com/news/thorough-review-after-teenage-badminton-player-s-death-2173786b

3. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Honestly the rules doesn’t matter, sure maybe those rules should apply on a regular match but common sense dictates when its an emergency, life or death situation, immediate care is essential. There is no need for any procedures.

4. viver

viver Regular Member

Rules have to be respected and they exist for a purpose. If there is a loophole then it should be changed to avoid abuses.

Having said that, in this situation, are the badminton umpires trained for identifying emergency situations? We have seen many examples in football - someone mentioned previously Eriksen the Danish football player collapsed suddenly during a match. The referee ordered the medical team to come into the field and the player was rescued.

The other question I have, are the medics or first aid staff onsite trained to deal with situations like this one. The short clip I have seen online, I did not see the helpers doing CPR or having a defibrillator used on the player.

I have witnessed a situation of a person suddenly collapsing and the company manager performed CPR until the paramedics arrived. The manager said later that he had First Aid training for many years, but never in his life needed to use it.

nokh88 and Cheung like this.
  5. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

If I am not wrong, chinese player was not attended by anybody for atleast 40 seconds( learnt from a news). 40 seconds is such a huge number for a heart arrest.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I saw the collapse from a couple of angles on different videos. There was one rescuer blocking the view so you can't see if the carotid pulse was checked or any check for signs of consciousness or breathing. These checks are critical before starting CPR. If he did have a pulse, you don't start chest compressions.

#4866 Cheung, Jul 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
    viver and nokh88 like this.
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The finals were not shown on badminton asia YouTube channel. Any reason for that?

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    In BWF badminton, the umpire will wait, raise his right hand, wait for the referee to see this and calls for the medics. They will walk slowly with his big kit (which only the plasters and spray to be used) and (maybe avoiding the advertising boards) and reaches the casualty in less than 2 minutes, the most.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The umpires need some instruction to recognise what is a medical emergency that needs immediate attention and what isn’t an emergency. Perhaps a simulation scenario can be included in umpire training rather than just talking the theory.

antssantss, nokh88 and ant01 like this.
  10. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

he lost to a Korean player

11. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Yes. The Korean player must be very good, although I see WZJ hasn't really improved. On the other hand HZA has. I felt HZA was not in control of his shots previously, but he handled his game well. He was patient and had good pace, placing his shots in the right spots. He showed this. In his SF against a capable Indonesian.
    China's WS surprised me. In their last meeting playing Siti, Vitidsarn and some others they lost and I felt they were hopeless. They have improved. China is well but needs to up their ability and move on. They did well to be in all the finals. But I think Ms and MD will be tough.
    Congratulations to CBA. I hope they will win all their matches for ZZJ.

12. antssantss

Retired
    The Chinese MD won their match easily. This pair combines so well and plays instinctively. If they can get stronger and keep training they will be another great MD for China, Congratulations

13. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

So China swept all the 6 titles. This is the third time China has done it outside its home turf. Anyway I would rather have ZZJ alive, never mind if his career has ended, than China winning those titles.

#4873 tbgoh288, Jul 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2024
  14. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

There is another Chinese pair which can take on the Malaysian first seeds, namely Chen Yongrui and Chen Zhehan. They were entered for the AJC but didn't play any match. Probably injury issue.
    I repost here their match against the Malaysians in the German Junior championship.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1xr421H7ee/?spm_id_from=333.788.recommend_more_video.-1

pcll99 likes this.
  15. antssantss

Retired
    Yes I agree the Chens are good. Their attacking play is very strong and they have a good understanding of each other's play.

16. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Semifinal match between the late ZZJ and Yoon Ho Seong in the Dutch Junior Championship 2024. ZZJ went on to become the Champion while Yoon was the losing finalist in the recently concluded AJC,
    https://b23.tv/qcwA0TH

antssantss likes this.
  17. antssantss

Retired
    I was surprised Wzj lost to Yoon in the semis. He has reduced his attacking playing and is developing the stroke play that the top Chinese players are using. I hope to see him bounce back in the world junior championships in October, in China. Hopefully we can see the juniors in a tournament before that.
    But we'll done HZA for staying calm to win the final.

18. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

My take is that he was physically and mentally drained by the 4 matches he played in the team competition. He was very slow and lethargic when he played against the Taiwanese player in the round of 16. He just scraped through 22-20 in both games .I was not surprised he lost in the 1/4 final, not taking anything away from his opponents' abilities.
    On the other hand HZA went into the individual competition fresh having not played any team match.

antssantss likes this.
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Are team China signing back with Li Ning as their main sponsor?