Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

clamps for final tie-off

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Ian W Jones, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Ian W Jones

Ian W Jones New Member

I currently string using a drop weight machine. I use a load spreaders when securing the racket.

On occasions when I come to the final tensioning at the head of the racket the flying clamps can't always clamp effectively due the design of the re-stringer.

The other night I restrung a Yonex Voltric Z force II the final cross is at 7. Usually the rackets final cross is at the 8 hole.

I found that my flying clamp couldn't really grip the string and resulted in tension being lost during the tie-off.

Can you purchase single flying clamps (that do not need to clamp 2 strings), and if so would anyone please recommend a good make.

2. kaspumwind

kaspumwind New Member

Stringer
    Flying clamps work because they hold two strings and maintain the tension between them. A flying clamp that only clamps one string wouldn't be able to hold tension (Maybe you're thinking of a fixed clamp? They are able to hold tension because they're mounted against the base of the machine).

Unfortunately, slack on the string right before the tie-off will always be a problem. Assuming you aren't making a technical mistake that results in slippage, Yonex, Victor, and a host of other companies make flying clamps which you can buy online.

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Can you post a picture of your setup that shows the problem on that ZF2 for example? I think I know the issue you're describing, but I'd like to make sure before I recommend anything.

4. Ian W Jones

Ian W Jones New Member

Hi S Mair please find upload below. This would be my final set-up for a racket that finishes on the 8th grommet. However if I finish on the 7th grommet, it is difficult to get the clamp in place due to the stringer machines frame.

I can clamp from above but this means rocking the knot back and forth to get the final tension is impossible.

so would a clamp (fixed design) be better to keep the tension for a short period; and if so is there one you could recommend.

I hope I make sense

Attached Files:

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

There won't be much you can do to improve the situation. Your machine does not allow to use any fixed clamps since it misses the necessary hardware (solid base plate with rails). So you will have to live with using flying clamps.

And apart from that, I don't see a real problem in that picture. I mean, you are definitely able to clamp that final top cross in A7 with both flying clamps from underneath the stringer, aren't you?

I just don't get it, I'm sorry.

6. Ian W Jones

Ian W Jones New Member

Yonex rackets generally final cross at A8 as is the one in the photo.

I couldn't get a good grip on the final cross on the Yonex Voltric Z force II ( which was A7) I restrung the other night. I thank you for your thoughts,

I may consider purchasing a Eagnas Flying clamp they appear less bulky and narrower than my current clamps allowing for better purchase.

7. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

One option is to double pull the last two strings. You first skip the one before last, thread the last cross and than go back and thread the cross you skipped. Pull them together.

Done ;).

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If it's less bulky flying clamps that you are after, I can recommend the Hi-Qua clamps from MBS (https://www.mybadmintonstore.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25_62_153&products_id=121). I use them too for clamping the top crosses on compact frames like ZF2 or JS10 since my machine also doesn't allow to reach that string with the fixed clamps. Definitely less bulky than the Yonex-style flying clamps (although I can't really tell from the picture which kind of flying clamps you are currently using).

9. Ian W Jones

Ian W Jones New Member

Thanks to you all for sharing

I shall try your suggestions.

I currently use a mixture of Pro's Pro and Yonex flying Clamps. I will search for the clamps you suggest.

10. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

I use flying clamps (Yonex for the crosses, and PP's and yonex for the mains) for all the process, and I don't see the issue, perhaps because I still start the crosses from the top of the racquet, (double-pull the first two crosses) and at the bottom of the racquet I always have the space to clamp with the flying clamp (No need to double-pull).

11. Ian W Jones

Ian W Jones New Member

Hi to those still watching this thread. I purchased a Eagnas Flying Clamp. Heavy old tool, but less bulky and narrower that the Yonex and pro's pro clamps (but more expensive). Allowing for easier maneuverability for the final tie-off knot/point, which resulted in tension being held. Result!!!