Clears

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DarkHiatus, May 16, 2016.

1. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Having played quite a few opponents now, especially in singles, I've noticed that most players have a 'standard' clear height and don't vary it much - for some people, this is quite defensive (high), and for others it can be very low (or even short if inexperienced).

From www.badmintonbible.com/, I understand the different types, and when you might want to use them, so the question is - from a balanced, 'reset' position (where neither side has an advantage), should you ever play a defensive clear (either to the middle or sides)? Logically thinking, it gives the opponent the initiative, especially if played to the sides (more attacking angles with plenty time to place a decent shot).

However, the first shot of a rally (especially in women's singles badminton) is frequently a deep, high serve to the middle (which is effectively a very defensive clear), which implies that it can be sound tactically?

It seems to me that in the course of a rally, if I am balanced and in a neutral position, I should only ever play attacking clears (as low as possible without being smashed) to start building an advantage - is my thinking here flawed?

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    From a logical point of view you are correct. You could choose any type of shot, a defensive clear would not give you an advantage compared to most other shots you could pick, including the attacking clear.

In reality however, you are probably not taking into account several things. Firstly, from a purely psychological point of view, players do NOT like being pushed deep all the way to the back line. It is a serious tactical disadvantage to be so far back, and often results in them creating pressure on themselves because they have to try to do something special to win the rally. This is especially true if they have tried to win the rally already and you managed to return their shots. At that point, lifting high to the back is not seen as an opportunity for them to attack, but as a sign that they do not possess the necessary skills to win the rally, especially given they are pinned to the back line.

The second thing to bear in mind is a technique one. Most players struggle, and I mean REALLY struggle, to hit a shuttle that is coming down from up high. This is especially true when you start playing tournaments in big arenas where there is a slight air current. Even at national junior level, it is very difficult to time your shots properly from the back of the court when given so much time. Most people are used to faster rallies, and having to wait for so long really screws up their timing. Use this to your advantage!!!

So there we have it. Two reasons that hitting defensive clears is a good idea!

buibui2, s_mair, cn1766 and 1 other person like this.
  3. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Good points I hadn't considered. I myself don't like being pushed to the back (and generally struggle when the pace is slower), so it's interesting to see how it can have this effect.

Both of the benefits (pinning to the back, vertical shuttle) are present if played to the centre - do you think it's tactically sound to play to the sides with defensive clears? There's a slight additional movement pressure (since footwork must be completed all the way to the back, even if they have extra time to do it), but it opens up more attacking angles.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Definitely there are benefits. What I wrote applies to doubles as much as singles - it still creates a lot of pressure - more so from the corners in doubles. With regard to movement pressure - the pressure TO the shuttle isn't that high because its a very high lift/clear. However, the movement to the next shot is under a huge amount of pressure - they have a long way to run, and you are likely going to be able to take the shuttle quite easily and hence play a high quality shot.

Your theory about the sides in singles is kind of sound, but only when you start playing at a really high standard (and I mean international standard) or against someone having a really good day. At a lower standard, its much more likely people will make mistakes either trying to hit straight and missing, or trying to hit cross court and either over doing it (hitting out) or under cooking it (hitting too close to the middle for an easy return).

It is not wrong to design your tactics as if you are up against a perfect player. But you are not. And you will not be for many many years (if ever). So that would be my advice: do not undersestimate the potency of any high lift. For most players a high lift to the back line (anywhere) is NOT a good attacking opportunity, its a time to play safe. Of course, a lot depends on your defensive skills. If you can't cover cross court drops well, then playing a lift to a corner is a bad idea. If you can't deal with body smashes, then lifting down the centre is a bad idea.

Good luck with your new tactics!

buibui2, DarkHiatus and s_mair like this.