coaches and etiquettes.

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by kwun, Dec 13, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as contrast to this thread:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10316

where we discussed if "gamemanship" should be taught, i would like to start some discussion on the opposite, and that is what type of good etiquette should a badminton coach teach new or old badminton players.

badminton is one of the few sports in which participants still behave in a gentlemanly/lady manner. as far as i remember from the early days when i started playing badminton, players whom i have played with always have the most courtesy towards other players. we respect each others line judging decision, we retrieve and return shuttle that falls next to the net, we shake hands and say "good matches" whether we win or lose a game, we don't shout at each other.

and i think for most part, starting players sees the courteous display of experienced players and they inherited the friendly courteous from them. however, more and more we hear stories about players behaving poorly in games. and most but not limited to younger players.

so the question is, what can a coach do help badminton continue to be a truely competitive but at the same time, a courteous and gentlemanly sport? what sort of etiquette should a coach encourage? is it possible to have a explicit list of things that badminton should observe during a match so other coaches and players can reference?

2. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    -Apologizing for shots that hit the body
    -Apologize for tape shots that rolled over in favor of you
    -Shake hands after the match over not under the net
    -Return shuttle to the other side to the player such that they dont' have to scoop it back up

I'm sure there's more, but I've gotta get back to work and just wanted to help get the discussion rolling ;)

3. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Starting with what I teach my classes:

Firstly everyone plays with everyone, there is no cliquey groups and I'm better than them mentality. They are all there to help each other progress, some players are good at certain things, they should pass on why and encourage others.

When warming up the each give the other ample chances to hit each type of shot, none of theis hitting up mid court and someone cracking off a full blown smash and then the same again, it promotes bad feeling. Be courteous to each other.

After the warm up ask the other player if they are ready to begin the game if not ask why and act on it, communicate with each other.

General things like when a call is in doubt give it over to the oponent to firstly comment on or just plain give them the benefit of the doubt. Do not just say out especially if you do not see it, always ask.

If the shuttle clips the net and goes over or you hit the other player always put your racket up, keep it up until they acknowledege that you have done this, if you want to mout or say sorry but this gesture is recognised as the wording so it is not always required.

If you smash and hit someone in the head always ask if they are ok.

If the shuttle lands on your side always scoop it up with your racket and hit it gently over the net so your oponent can receive it with a mid air scoop, failing this flick it up in a similar fashion from under the net only when they are in a position to be able to get it.

Always say thankyou for the game and shake hands after.

If someone is watching the game and not playing they are free to comment and help advise the players so they know certain thisng are not working that they might not have noticed.

Good communication is the key.

I know my players take these things with them onto hte court and it just kills me to see unsporting gamesmanship, especially in children :mad:

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a few more that i had just thought of and would like to point out:

- while not a participating player, if you are trying to get to another court, make sure you go around other ppl's court instead of step into the middle/corner of it and disrupt other people's game.

- smile. perhaps this may come down to personality, it is hard to smile during the rally but smiling after the rally helps out the tense game a lot. it also creates a healthy competitive environment instead of a more hostile one.

5. juskarakidov

juskarakidov Regular Member

I follow these general rules

- if the line call is borderline I always give it to my opponents
    - I never make the call for line judgements on my opponents' side unless asked
    - same goes for double touches & net touches

6. Sakura

Sakura Regular Member

You'll never guess
    Other general rules I encourage for all players (including my kids)

1. It's always a good game, win or lose. No excuses for your own mistakes (have a cold, new strings, different racquet, new partner, crappy floor). The other player/team won because of their skills.

2. Pat your partner on the back for good shots, set-ups or digs.

3. Encourage your partner for the next rally, even if they duff a shot.

3. Always thank your partner too for a good game.

Funny that I came across this thread today. It was just yesterday, I started my son on the badminton path and we were reviewing certain etiquettes. He basically summed it up as "Ok, no spaz attacks...":p

slovak likes this.
  7. twoie

twoie New Member

shoe shine boy
    returning the bird

There was a point in my younger playing years that the bird was picked up and tossed appropriately. Tossing the bird under the net was a no no then about 18 to 15 years ago. But there's still a few whom I have played with does the above mentioned court courtesy. Most of them are old ha ha ha !;)