Coaching in Toronto...

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by bigredlemon, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Okay, I need your input to make a decision. I emailed Mrs. Hayman, and she said she would reserve one of the last two spots until this Wednesday, May. 7 for me. Last night, I had told my mom that Brantford camp was full, and this morning she said that she had talked about it with dad and they can take me to Lee's since the summer camp is full.

So... now I have two options. I can either go to Lee's every week over the course of the summer, or I can go to a week-long camp in Brantford. Which do you guys think I should take? On one hand, going over the whole summer will ensure that I don't get "rusty," over the break, and I will improve. On the other hand, this camp sounds like it has alot of big names showing up to coach.

Phil

2. dex

dex Regular Member

Student
    It's nice the camp in Brantford last for a whole week so your parents will only need to drop you off & pick you up or even you might be able to get a ride back. However, Lee's has a special summer membership for 2 months for $99 + GST. And you can stay there & use their facilities (gym etc) & enjoy a whole day of play. But you have to make sure there're members & friends there to play with.

Just my 2 cents!

3. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

Here at the Woodstock Badminton Club, we have a summer camp every year. I don't have any details yet as the times have not been decided upon. It will probably be held sometime in July/August. You can find details of the camp on our website at www.woodstockbadmintonclub.org when they become available. Or you can email the youth director/coach Saj Malik. You can find the contact information on the website.

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    can you make a deal for both?

a week long camp is excellent for intense training, and helps to eliminate habits and reform you to new ideas. also with the names of some of the coaches, and excellent place for high level experience.

but having a regular weekly program also works well as a way to follow up this one week of intense training. else you might gradually lose the benefits from the camp.

do you think you can persuade your parents to allow you both? deal to your advantage - give up things for it - call it a sacrifice.

5. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Well, said camp is in middle of August, so the summer is almost over by the time it happens. I think I'm leaning towards weekly training because then I'll have some badminton throughout the summer instead of waiting a whole 3 months (my club ended just last week). Also, I am aware of another camp at a similar time that is even in my region, and likely will not be filled up. Plus, Brantford has a March break camp, although I've heard it's not as intense.

Phil

6. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    hey where do u see this deal? it looks pretty good if u ask me! when do we sign up for this?

7. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    their toilet seems to flood a lot though :D

seriously, i went there once and 2 or 3 of the courts were off limits.... and even the lounge was soaked!!! and then i went there again like.. 2 months later, same situation.....

8. Jus_anothr_grl

Jus_anothr_grl Regular Member

student
    haha yeah...but it only happened twice. Lee's is an okay club for training but I'm still waiting for that new club

9. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Well, the plans for Lee's fell apart, so I'm going to the Brantford camp. I just barely got in to like the last spot too. :D Looks like it should be good, with 1 coach for every 6 players and on the sheet there are some big names for coaches.

Is anyone else going?

Phil

10. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    That's bad... I just paid for my lessons. Troy did an assessment on me and he said I'm suitable in lvl II-III..... If all we learn is simple stuff, I don't think paying that much money is worth it.

I can do clears and drops... *sobs*:crying:

11. Jus_anothr_grl

student
    Keep in mind that my review was almost two years ago when they just started implementing the level system. I think Lee's group lesson program has probably changed a bit and improved since then.

12. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Oh... I see.

Err one more question, if I'm in lvl II-III, do I have to get to like lvl IV-V before I would be thinking about tryouts on lee's team? Or is there teams for different levels?

13. Jus_anothr_grl

student
    I really don't know much about their team, how tryouts work or their team level arrangements since I go to the Mandarin Club...

Speaking of Mandarin...I'll take this chance of doing some shameless promotion and say, why not try for Mandarin?

14. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Well I went to Lee's because they have a team and I thought maybe one day I can make it in.... But if there is such thing in Mandarin, I might look into it :p

15. dex

dex Regular Member

Student

Don't be fooled by the word "TEAM", if a "TEAM" does not produce any National Players.....a "TEAM" is better to be called "GROUP". I suggested you do a survey or even check their reputation and achievements of their players and do a comparison before making your final decision! Afterall, a title is what we're looking for! Not just the name! ;)

16. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    lol... Lee's team would atleast have provincial tournaments o_O... I hope.

17. dex

dex Regular Member

Student
    Lee's has produced at least 6 National Jr. players over the years and more than 15 provincial Jr. Champs. Mandarin has produced NONE of its own Nat'l Champs. But mind you Lee's has a longer history and has established a hall of frame over the years! :)

18. Jus_anothr_grl

student

So by that logic, a high school and/or university badminton "team" should be changed to badminton "group" just because they don't produce national players?

There's many different categories of "teams". Every club, whether it be Mandarin, Lee's, Granite, Boulevard...etc has a team. They're all put into different categories whether you are put in a) A,B,C,D teams, b) Masters, Adult, Senior or Junior Teams or c) Regional, provincial or national teams. A team doesn't have to be focused mainly on producing national players.

And Mandarin's not even two years old. I don't think the club can produce a national player out of the blue with that short amount of time. Give the club a few years to develop their U10 and U12 players.

19. Winning Touch

Winning Touch Regular Member

Can't argue with the facts given by "dex" though!

20. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Actually, doesn't the Mandarin have a few very good players that used to play at lees? I'm pretty sure that both sides are competing against each other by now :p (Especially how they are so close)