Colin Haughton has very bad attitude

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2002' started by wl2172, Jul 27, 2002.

1. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I am watching the mixed team event between England and Canada now, and I feel that Colin Haughton is a real ass, pardon my language. As far as I can see, the Canadian player is just a very animated player. His shouts of victory are normal, but each time he does that, the English player will start complaining to the empire. However, each time Colin screams or shouts, it is OK. A dubious line call against him will usually see Colin huffing and puffing. I think his attitude is just plain bitching. Even if Malaysia loses tomorrow, I want to see him humiliated in mens singles for his bad attitude today against Bobby Milroy.

2. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Oh yes,and I forgot that he also wants the crowd to shut up when he is playing. Does he know badminton or what????!!!

3. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Is this a bad boy of badminton--ala John MacEnroe of tennis?

Crowds not only want someone they can root for, but also someone they can hate. It makes for high interest (pro wrestling has always used this).

4. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

He is not a bad boy, he is usually not so uptight. Just this time around, probably couldn't handle the pressure.

5. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    What's the score?

That's the trouble nowadays with athletes. Sportsmanship is no longer taught, it's win, win, win at all costs.

6. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I agree

Sorry Colin, but a guy of your standing should have learned to get on with the game by now, especially when you are a better player and expected to win the match.

7. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Maybe he should change his attitude.. guess he might be too tense when he was playing... couldnt concentrate that well.. some players are really distracted by the crowd.. though indirectly....

8. rejang

rejang Regular Member

Hi wl2172: where did you watch the matches?

9. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

wl2172, I believe you're watching the matches from ASTRO? Is it possible for you to record the badminton matches? Or maybe just the matches with Wong Choong Hann, Chan Chong Ming and/or Chew Choon Eng?

10. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Does Singapore's Channel 5 show the badminton games also??? heard its the official TV for Comm. games

11. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I am watching the mathces in the UK. I am with a service provider called NTL, they have 4 channels dedicated to Commonwealth. I am sorry to inform you that I have not taped the matches of Wong and or top doubles so far, but I will do so from now on. However, I will be away on company business from next thursday onwards in Czech Republic...hahahahah, I don't think they are very interested in Badminton there. I will tape tonights encounter with England. Our girls are still weaker though.

12. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I will try to give some sort of live scoring here tonight while I watch the match between England and Malaysia here for the benefit of people who cannot get to watch. I will log on to my PC at about 7pm UK time. (Malaysia and Singapore are 7 hours ahead of UK)

Neel Dhebar likes this.
  13. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    I just started following Comm. Games this year cos my country doesnt participate in it... but really quite a good game to follow... =)

14. DavidGarwood

DavidGarwood New Member

I was at the games watching this match. As far as I could tell, Colin's problem with his opponent was that the shouts were coming before the shuttle was dead instead of after the shuttle had hit the floor. Fair enough, most of them were actually clear winners, but a couple of times Colin had a (small) chance of getting the shuttle back. I think I would be annoyed if my opponent shouted just before I had to play a shot.

15. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    No matter how much chance Colin has of returning the shuttle, there isn't any rule that i've come across that says your opponent cannot make any noise. You can say that its impolite but its definately not illegal.

I've played against people who shout when they smash, to me, i don't let it get to me coz i don't want to upset my own game. I play my best, hopefully i win and at the end we see who gets the last laugh.

The professionals shout when they smash as well, Bambang Suprianto and Candra Wijaya are just 2 of the more noticable ones.

16. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Is there a problem?

He was obviously trying to disturb his opponent. It's called tactics. ;)

I take it that Haughton lost the match?

17. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

No, he beat Milroy in the end. It was close though. However, Choong Hann gave him a walloping the next day.

18. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Hmmmm...it is illegal for you to shout if your opponent is about to play his shot/return (it would be under the rule of distracting your opponent). It's is okay if you grunt, yell, shout when you play your shot or after the play is dead. Anyhow, the umpire would have step in if s/he feels that Milroy is yelling before play is dead or if it was a deliberate attempt to distract Haughton.

I didn't see the match (no coverage over here in Canada) :(

19. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Yes, if Milroy was really too loud or too rough...the umpire would have intervened. However, the fact that she did not proves that Colin was bitching, not once, but several times. Never mind, if you face a much stronger opponent, no amount of bitching or complaining will get you through.

20. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

playing infront of a crowd (even a loud one) has to be considered apart of the game at that level

you just have to learn to tune that stuff out