Definition of Beginner, Intermediate & Advanced

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by mongoose, May 17, 2006.

1. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

Excellent ideas and proposals everyone!
    Keep the suggestions coming.
    We'll slowly fine tune the ratings until hopefully we can adopt a pretty common one that we can use within our local context so as to give each other a better idea of the standards of players/groups.
    This in turn hopefully will be a fair assessment if we wish to organise friendly matches, mini-tournaments etc.

To Iwan: Tmrw I won't be playing at IMH. Most likely playing at JE instead.

2. daviddoff2005

daviddoff2005 Regular Member

I am definetely beginner, always got beaten by other players in my group :)
    Well, must train harder. BANZAAI!!

3. sg2303

sg2303 Regular Member

shuttlecock picker
    interesting :)
    but if there is standardisation, it would be better

simon

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    My ladder system

in my prior posts, i have been using the grading system like in school, A,B,C, D's

Pros : seasoned pros who currently compete at the highest level

Advanced grouping
    A+: (elite) Ex Pros (see above) who have competed as pros but no longer compete at the highest form to top Pros from some lower ranked countries like canada. They are or were once represented as nationals
    A: (top advanced) Tops players in their city or provinces or states
    A- (advanced) Top players in their high school but not good enough to be pick by their state or province.

Intermediate Grouping Competed in local tourneys. Had some partial training.
    B+: high intermediate, occasionally win some local tournaments
    B: entered some tournaments but dont win anything worth mentioning
    B-: low intermediate

Recreational Grouping Never took any lessons or just started in lessons. Play somewhat regularly. Play for fun and fitness. Expressed some interest in badminton theory but not a lot.
    C+
    C
    C-

Beginner Grouping Just started less than 1 year ago, plays on and off, never took any lessons, formal or informal. Interested in finding advanced equipments / clothing than a good coach
    D+
    D
    D-

#24 cooler, May 19, 2006
    Last edited: May 19, 2006
  5. madman

madman Regular Member

I wonder if badminton can adopt & adapt the players rating found in golf and squash.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

any system is good as long as everyone follows it eg. abc, 1,2,3, high/low advance/intermediate/beginner, etc..

7. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

So far I have also received many useful feedback outside this boards.

Several players feel that the ratings may be better received if they could be in the form of "numerical ratings" like in the tennis NTRP system (eg 2.5, 4.5) instead of "descriptive ratings" like Beginners, Low Intermediates etc.

The reason for this is that not many people like to rate themselves lower than what they think they are.

Many "good" and experienced players would like to see themselves as Advanced or High Intermediates.
    Yet they know that they are not even comparable to top under-17 school players who are not even in the national youth training squad.

So a numerical rating like 4.0 will be much "kinder". :D

Even local squash and tennis use A, B, C - F grading in local tournaments. Perhaps they too have explored these issues before they finally decided on the non-descriptive ratings.

Hmm... we're definitely getting closer. Keep 'em coming dudes!

8. surge

surge Regular Member

hey mongoose, NTRP rating better, at least now i think i am a 4.0( thanks for being kind ah). eh this sept i will be playing badminton for 2 years liao....i work hard le...give me some credit la.....4.0 sounds better than beginner le:cool:

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

on a competitive level, numerical system is more accurate for seeding but ABCD system is general enough for most players.

10. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Perhaps we should just forget about the classification and just play. With a little more patience, I believe players of all skill levels can still enjoy a nice game of badminton without the need for everybody to live up to some tag. Especially when for many of us, our skill level changes drastically during a session becoming real bad near the end when we are dead tired. :)

11. surge

surge Regular Member

the purpose i believe is to make games more enjoyable for all. eg. you are eager for a good game and landed in a group that calls themselves intermediate to find out that they arent exaclty intermediate OR when you read a post in a beginners group, join them and find that these beginners whack so hard at you also no good.

in tennis forums, players sound out their NTRP ratings when looking for players so that they get players of similar standards and the games are more enjoyable that way

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Agree with this ranking. I think the Aussies does this for tournaments, they have grade A, A+, B, C and D. Which is good for those who wants to get a shot at their own levels. After winning a grade, its promotion time. No such thing as demotion. No pain No gain.:D
    rgds

13. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    malaysian

Is that Alan Tai u are referring to? Shd be a ex-national level.:D
    rgds

14. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

yo guys, I've developed an online Badminton Skill rating system, perhaps we now can standardise with this system? I know it's not perfect, but at least we start with something first than fine-tune along the way.

Website at http://www.badminton-network.com

15. Asimof

Asimof Regular Member

Travelling salesman
    that is a nice website and a convenient tool to do a quick rating. thanks! :D

16. madman

madman Regular Member

Sounds like a match-making the way SDU does it. For the uninitiated SDU is the acronym for Social Development Unit, a pseudo-government agency that is tasked to get unmarried graduate in Singapore to get hitched and reproduce.:p

17. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Mike, just to reconfirm, its the higher the better? I got 5.7. I probably over-rated myself as you're a much better player than me :eek:

Can you reveal what's the weightage for each question? and the breakdown for the various categories of BSR? Thanks!

18. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

sure, the questions are break down into 5 set of 6 questions each. The first set is 0.2 for each question, the 2nd & 3rd set is 0.3 each. The 4th set plus the first 2 question of the 5th set is 0.4 each, the balance are 0.5.

when i did the BSR, i take it as how often do I execute the stroke in a game. For example, the forehand & backend drive, I may know how to execute it, but I never use it a game, thus I select as "No".

Likewise, the question on tapping loose ball on net, I selected "No" as I dont always score point from that.

19. aheng

aheng Regular Member

ERR~ I got 1 stupid idea:D
    setup a recognise private institution (with recognise tester) to assess our level,

eg: pay sgd 10 for the 1 hr assessment, and they will give u a cert / ID card indicated your skill level , and the ID is valid for 18mths, after expiry go for another test.
    or u can go for another test when u feel tat u are not satisfied / no longer in the level indicated in ur ID.

just an idea tat pop up in my mind :rolleyes:

20. theforceisback

theforceisback Regular Member

I have to admit this is an interesting thread, so many ideas on how to define a beginner, so here's my input on how to classify someone as a beginner, intermediate or advanced. I dont think you are going to get anywhere trying to classify people into different categories. I think it should be simply divided based on groups that are playing, for example.

Group1- Hey we are pretty damn good, almost to the level of being able to give the best in the country a tough fight, so don't bother playing with us if you play like crap!

Group2-We were once good, in fact we still sit around and talk about the glory days! So dont bother coming if you have no stories to share, and we have no time for anyone who cannot leap 3 feet off the ground before executing a perfect smash

Group3-We actually feel that we are superior to the rest of you, and will look at you with absolute disgust and contempt if you happen to miss a shot. So dont bother coming if you are planning to miss a few shots, it will just totally spoil our day and you will totally hate that.

Group4-We are not bothered with your level of play, just a bunch of slightly overweight people looking to have some fun. Yeah we will miss a lot of shots but at least we will not make you feel like scum of the earth. At the end of the day we will go back to our families with a big fat smile on our faces.

In every aspect of our life we have people seeking to classify us in one way or the other, so unless you have serious ambitions of turning professional in the near future, learn to relax, take a deep breath and have some fun. Just check with the group you are planning to join if they are training for some special purpose, if they are and you harbour the same ambition then do join them, if not look for people who dont give a crap about classfication.

theforceisback and still strong....