Discussion on GOAT, comparison between different eras and players, etc.

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Baddie lover, Aug 24, 2019.

1. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Yeah but they had to play with worse equipment, worse training regimens and what not, so it isn’t fair to compare them directly, any more than it is to compare an MS player and a WS player directly. In both cases it’s very obvious the WS player and the earlier era player would lose, no one’s disputing that. But when we’re considering their “greatness”, we can only judge from their achievements, and their achievements can only be fairly compared against players of their own generations/categories.

Anks likes this.
  2. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Fair or not, achievements are compared across eras and I disagree that it's only achievements that matters in greatness. For example, in boxing Wladimir Klitchko was dominant for so long in the 2000s. But many don't think of him too highly because they feel he didn't face a really good opponent. It isn't his fault that in his era heavyweight boxing is in a weak era, but nonetheless he's placed below people in the 1970s and 80s whose achievements may not be as good.

3. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Yup they are compared across eras across any sport, though it’s something I personally don’t see as fair. Weak era or not is another subjective matter, and it’s something fans of players use against each other, again...something I feel does not do justice to the dominant player. Federer fans will argue he’s way too good for his opposition in 2004-2007 but will warp their logic to argue that Djokovic faced weak competition in 2015.

As we go down the road, such toxic arguments may start to infiltrate our sport and it won’t be such a fun discussion anymore. Meanwhile, it seems pretty light-hearted for now, at least on this forum.

Baddie lover likes this.
  4. Chocomaster

Chocomaster New Member

Very interesting thread, i would say the Lee/Lin 2007-2014 era was the strongest ever in MS
    2006-2012 for MD with Cai/Fu Lee/Jung Setiawan/Kido KKK/TBH, I believe that they are way more better than the 2012-2016 and post-Rio era, but how does theses 4 pair compare with the dominanting korean and indonesian pairs of the 2000's ?
    For WS, I believe we're living the strongest era ever, with CYF, CM, ASY, TTY, etc my favourite category nowadays
    As for WD and XD I can't really tell

#64 Chocomaster, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Baddie lover likes this.