Doubles Tournament in Montreal

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Jinryu, Jun 27, 2005.

1. outlah

outlah Regular Member

government hand-out
    Actually, I'm planning on staying at Auberge Alternative, its in Old Montreal. But most hostels don't have parking. I gathered, since we'll be at the Y in Chinatown on Friday night, mind as well leave my car there in Chinatown. I will probably go back to Chinatown for food on Saturday morning anyways. It doesn't look like to far a walk from Old Montreal and Chinatown, or is it?

2. Devilicious

Devilicious Regular Member

student
    Nah it's quite close... if you know your way =P I don't know much about parking areas in Mtl though, I only use public transportation.

3. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    Well, I just called the Chinatown YMCA and according to the lady who answered, there is no official overnight parking but you could leave your car in the parking lot (underground) before 10:30pm, after which time they close, I guess, but you won't be able to get to your car or at least drive your car out until early morning the next day.

I don't drive though so I can't verify this info nor do I know anyone who's ever done it.

4. Devilicious

student
    Ok, so it looks like the Friday session is definitive. So what will be the schedule? Would 5 to 10 be good? Or should it rather be 4-9 and supper somewhere in Chinatown afterwards?

Er... Actually, I guess the time will very much depend on Jinryu and Silentlight right?

5. outlah

outlah Regular Member

government hand-out
    I don't think I want to get my car towed. If any of you are around Chinatown, keep your eye out for overnight parking garages and how much they charge. Thanks.

6. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    SOrry I've been so late with this information, I've been out of town for the past week or so so I haven't been able to check up... I know that for 'on street' parking, parking is free after 9pm on fridays, and you only have to pay meters at 9am the next morning for the downtown and chinatown areas. I'm going to look up the overnight and day rates of some parking places once I get back to Montreal (thursday) and then i'll post it up for all our out of towners.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Both time should be fine with me, as I will be there after 5 anyway. So, get ur guys tired each other out 1st, and I can come in, and pray not to lose everything. :D

The after session dinner sounds like a great idea, too. :p

8. silentlight

student/programmer
    I don't work on Fridays so anytime then is fine with me.

9. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    More people than I would have thought possible

Thanks everyone for helping spread the word! A lot more people signed up than I thought and so the list has grown from a handful of players playing both categories to several handfuls of players! Check out the current registration listing at

http://www.racketsportsmontreal.ca/weekender/RegistrationList.htm

and if you signed up yourself or your friends, please check to see that the listing is accurate with the spelling of your name and that of your partner(s). PM me if there's any problems.

I've very excited that it's all coming together, but please forgive any delay in response to PMs since I'm more than a little busy with last minute things.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Great job! I think you will have even more entries coming in the next several days (if u still accept entries), as ppl tend to do things at the last minute. Many thnx for u and ur staff's effort to put everything together. 2 thumbs up! :)

Now, I am taking a bit rest, to heal up my knees. A bit sore due to intensive training / playing teh past 2 weeks. Time to rock in Montreal this coming sat, can't wait... :p

Btw, did you finalize the scoring system yet? On the site, there are like 2-3 choices, as things getting more clear, maybe we should finalize the format? If possible, more games (or, more sets per game) should be a big plus for everyone. ;)

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    lol, any more practice and u have to rename your nic to like SoreyBuddy :D

12. Devilicious

student
    LOOOLLL good one cooler! oh wait, you better not curse my partner!! :mad: :p

13. outlah

outlah Regular Member

government hand-out
    It appears my schedule has changed somewhat. I will not be able to attend the Friday night session as planned. I will be staying with a friend at Ottawa and will be doing some fishing up at Ottawa river. I'll go directly to the gym around 1pm on Saturday. Sorry for the change of plans. :(

14. Volts

Volts Regular Member

so guys, what time will the pratice session be on friday? and is it ok if i don't have the Y membership?

15. Devilicious

student
    Courts at the YMCA can only be reserved two days in advance, thus guys will be getting up reeeaalllyy early to book courts tomorrow morning. :D I guess the definitive answer will be posted here tomorrow.

Without a membership, you need someone to invite you in. If you're above 18, you have to pay something like 12$ for the entry and if U18, then it's 3$. See you there!

16. silentlight

student/programmer
    Actually, you don't need a member to bring you in but it'll cost you an arm and a leg whereas if you go in with a member, it'll only cost you an arm unless if you're under 18.

I've already assigned people to reserve courts from 5-10pm although that's not a guarantee. If there's anyone who would like to come in earlier than that and they're not YMCA members, let me know, I may be able to arrange someone (but mostly likely me) to take them in.

#116 silentlight, Aug 2, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  17. Volts

Volts Regular Member

what if i could only make at 6 and i have no membership?:(

18. Devilicious

student
    You can ask at the front desk to let you enter just to find your member friends. The member will come out to invite you. They'll ask to keep your racket and stuff while you are in to make sure you do pay.

19. Devilicious

student
    Did it work out??? :)

20. silentlight

student/programmer
    Well, so far, it's been confirmed that we got courts from 5-8pm and from 9-10pm, one of my friends couldn't get the 8pm spot but we've got backup so we're waiting for him to report but either way, that's definitely a go for Friday.