Duora Z Strike Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by llrr, Jan 15, 2018.

1. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Hey guys, long time lurker but only recently started posting. I just thought I'd write about the DZS after recently getting one and having had a session playing with it. You'll find that I will hardly be mentioning any of the technical aspects of the racquet (BP, weight, head weight etc etc.) and more on how it "feels" to me, as I think the most important thing about a racquet is how it feels and not its specs. One person's trash can be another's treasure, so without further blabbing, here we go!

Info:
    Racquet: Duora Z Strike 3UG5
    Strings: BG80 @ 28lbs
    Grip: AC102EX on top of cushion wrap
    Basic info according to Yonex: Extra stiff shaft, compact frame, head heavy
    Special features: Forehand box side and backhand aero side
    My level of play: ??? Gonna go with intermediate-advanced (this obviously depends on which country the reference point is).

So I have been looking for a stiffer racquet as I have been using the MX60 mostly and I felt that the flexible shaft was detrimental to my power generation. I had a hit with the DZS and immediately liked it so decided to go for it. Also, the review/diary by @swsh was quite insightful.
    IMG_20180116_130256 (1).jpg

Initial feeling:
    When I first got the racquet it was already strung by my stringer and I tried some empty swings just at home to feel the different sides and it was immediately obvious that the two sides felt different in the swing. The forehand box side had obviously more resistance than the backhand side, and I could feel the increased speed in a backhand driving motion compared to the forehand. Of course at this point I wasn't sure how it would translate on the court yet, but one thing is for certain, the two sides will require slightly different timing. If I was to compare the swing feeling, I would say forehand = less head heavy ZF2 feeling and backhand more like BS12 feeling how it cuts through the air (of course the difference is not THAT drastic but it's just to give you an idea).

After hitting:
    Once I had a 3hr session with the racquet playing with feather shuttles (I never play plastics so can't comment on playing with plastics), I was able to gauge a better feeling of the racquet, and I can say for sure that the racquet is most certainly faster on the backhand side, especially in driving, than the forehand side. I'm not sure if all players will be able to notice the difference, but at least for me since I'm a wristy player, the difference was noticeable. The difference though is less obvious if not marginal when it comes to backhand overhead shots, as with a longer swing, the slightly faster head wasn't as obvious as say, doing drives.

Note on head size:
    In terms of the compact head and the reduced sweet spot, I can only say that with my previous racquets I compared their heads and the DZS head was marginally smaller, so for me this was no issue as it felt the same, with the sweet spot just a tad above the center.

Head heaviness and comparison with ZFII:
    In terms of overhead shots like clears, smashes etc. I can say with absolute confidence that the racquet does not feel anywhere near as head heavy as the yonex racquet chart suggests. If anything, it's more of a balanced racquet (I think many of you probably already knew this point, but it's just here to reinforce the point), as such, the head doesn't generate as much power through its own momentum, or give the solidity of the natural follow through that you'll find with a ZFII. However, this does mean the racquet is faster to use. I compared the smashes using DZS with ZFII (both 3U) and both the hitting sound, and the feeling are different. If anything, DZS feels stiffer when using it than the ZFII. Drop shots, drives and net shots were not difficult either.

Conclusion:
    I think overall the DZS is a great racquet, and I think one would need to tailor their game slightly to the different sides. Assuming one can feel the difference of the two sides: you should try to defend with your backhand in doubles due to the increased speed, and you need to generate more power than a head heavier racquet like the ZFII. It is pretty unforgiving, as any mishits will result in a pretty bad shot due to how stiff the shaft is. You also definitely need to be able to snap your wrist, because without that it would just feel like hitting with a brick wall.

The DZS is for people who are used to stiff racquets but want a more balanced feeling, or want the power of the box frame without sacrificing the speed from an aero frame. The downside is having two timings for both sides, and making sure that you're holding the racquet on the correct side. I was worried about this too at the beginning but I realized that it's incredibly easy to make sure that I'm always using the correct side for my forehand (black shaft facing you).

HPSauce1989, thyrif and Anthony Kuan like this.
  2. Anthony Kuan

Anthony Kuan New Member

Thanks for your input :D I'm currently trying to save up for one, it's said in the forums that thicker strings don't go well with this racket ( BG 80 is a 0.68mm string, relatively thick). My question is, how did you find your strings?

3. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Using DZS for a year now. I used bg80 for a while, that was great as usual. LN#1 was also nice and now using gosen gt5 (both .65). Would not use bg65 or something else 'durable', get a performance string.

Anthony Kuan likes this.
  4. Anthony Kuan

Anthony Kuan New Member

So you would recommend thinner strings right? What are your picks and recommendations for Yonex strings for a DZS then, as I don't have access to any other brands other than Yonex.

5. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Bg80 should be fine, as I said, pick a performance string like bg80, 66ultimax or aerobite or something. You'll be fine, have fun!

Anthony Kuan likes this.
  6. Anthony Kuan

Anthony Kuan New Member

I can't wait, I think I might be getting two of them @26 or 27 lbs with BG 80 power, are those good strings? I've never owned a Yonex racket and performance Yonex strings xD

7. llrr

llrr Regular Member

That's fine. In the end it's about how it feels when you play with it. If the racquet feels good then any string will feel good.

Anthony Kuan likes this.
  8. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Personally I don't enjoy bg80 power that much, at first its great but the feel for me stopped after a few sessions. Bg80 stays fun for longer (for me).
    Also really enjoying gt5 right now!

Anthony Kuan likes this.
  9. Anthony Kuan

Anthony Kuan New Member

The only two options are BG 66UM and BG 80 Power, I have already tested 66UM ( and it feels awesome btw ), so I'll opt for the 80 Power just cause I want to try something new :D

10. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Imho 80p has nothing on fresh 66um. Nothing at all but a thicker gauge.

Anthony Kuan likes this.
  11. michael5098

michael5098 Regular Member

I decided to get the DZS after trying my teammate's racket (he has BG80). I initially had BG65 @25lbs with mine and it felt really dull. Switching to BG80 made it feel like a completely new racket. I occasionally play with plastics and while it's usable, it's not that enjoyable.

Side note: I recognize Chris's logo!

llrr likes this.
  12. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Just tested out the Duora Z-Strike 3UG5, BG80 at maybe 22lbs, having moved from a 4U even balance stiff racquet.

First impressions - clearly heavier and also head heavier than the 4U even balance. I'd put this as a slightly head heavy, but the extra stuff flex makes you really work for power (in terms of technique - you can't get lazy with this racquet or the power disappears). It's stiffer than the 4U I've come from, even accounting for the additional head heaviness.

The box/aero sides I haven't noticed much difference. Oddly enough I am a serial racquet spinner, but today I found out I only ever spin in full rotations, not half rotations, so as long as I start the rally with the same side facing up, I'm good to go!

Still working out the timing differences which appear to make a huge difference - off centre hits feel really dull and lack control/power (could be the strings...).

Will update once I restring at 28lbs BG66UM and have some more court time!

13. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I thought you were looking for medium flex racquets? DZS is indeed extra stiff and I found it even stiffer than ZF2, and with the lack of head heaviness it was alot more difficult to use imo. Still it's a very stable racquet and I liked it.

14. DarkHiatus

Medium-stiff to stiff was what i was after (i.e. 7-10 out of 10). I currently play with an 8.5/10 stiffness Protech racquet by my measure. The idea being i'd rather have a stiffer racquet than a flexible/medium flex variation. Should have been clearer on that...the DZS feels like a 9.5 or even 10/10 though. Very 'plank'y feeling, pronounced on mishits...i had the same thing with my Protech when I moved from the TK9900 (which was less stiff), along with the timing change issues, so i know it'll take 2-4 weeks to adapt to the new weight, where the stiffness generally feels like a modifier on control (at the tradeoff of forgiveness).

I also don't like using the term "extra stiff"...it's not like i'd ever use the term "extra flexible", so i'd like to keep my scale symmetrical :p

15. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Very much agreed with the 10/10 stiffness "planky" feeling of the DZS.

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

So you've already bouth that DZS or is it just a test racket?

You should seriously give the JS10 a go (4U or 3U doesn't really matter since they are very close). Even if the shaft is about equally stiff than the DZS, I never got that planky feel from it. For the record, I can only refer to the original JS10 since I haven't played with the JS10Q yet. And even if yor're hesitant regarding Li-Ning, from what you describe the N7II should still be a must-try!

17. DarkHiatus

I've got a DZS second hand, but I only consider myself to have ''chosen" a racquet once I test it for 2-3 weeks and enjoy it enough to buy a second. Therefore I'm still trying out racquets. I've got an ARC11 and BS12 lined up to test, so I'll be swinging new racquets around for at least the rest of 2018 :p Going to buy a DUO8XP since I don't know anyone with it, and I'll ask some friends about the JS10, but plenty enough to try for now.

I'm a slow and steady person and like to give my racquets a fair go! The idea being that once I've chosen, I would ideally not change for another 2+ years at least. I've been playing with my Protechs for maybe half a year, and it's only after extended games/matches that I'm feeling I need a bit more ease in clearing.

#17 DarkHiatus, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    s_mair likes this.
  18. DarkHiatus

Had another couple hours with the DZS (now restrung with BG66UM @ 27/29lbs), and moving from the 4U even balance is easier than I thought for shots where I have enough time to think. It's saving a lot of effort on clears, and as stupid as it sounds, testing shuttle speed is a lot easier/consistent now.

The stringing job is making this feel essay better. The full shots aren't quite as bad as before, but noticeable compared to sweet spot hits which just connect and give really good feedback through the hands.

A few people on BC have mentioned the DZS is not as solid feeling as the ZF2. This might be true, but it's still got a really good solid feel to me.

I haven't had the chance to really use this racquet in defence yet, so time will tell how I fare, but so far, it's looking like an upgrade to my 4U Protechs (especially for singles). I'm hoping I just haven't gone a bit too heavy/stiff to compromise on driving/pushing as a front doubles player.

#18 DarkHiatus, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  19. llrr

llrr Regular Member

In terms of the shaft I think the DZS is more solid than ZF2, because it feels stiffer. The ZF2 is solid because of the extreme head heaviness, but that does make the shaft a little more flexible than it actually is. Glad to see that you like it, but yeah, you might find it harder to drive and defend due to the stiff shaft. Backhand should be amazing with this racquet though, that's certainly my impression with it.

20. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

I love mine for doubles too, lots of control and plenty quick.