Eagnas (Smart 808 VS Combo 810)

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by chinavip, Apr 21, 2012.

1. chinavip

chinavip Regular Member

Student
    Hey, im looking at getting a stringing machine, just wanted to see what peoples suggestion was on the two choices i have made, which one seems like the best machine?

Model Number: Smart 808 .
    (Click on picture or model number to view larger image.) New Model

[​IMG]
    Model Number: Combo 810 . (Click on picture or model number to view detailed features and larger image.)[​IMG]

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I have the Eagnas Smart 808, it's a good machine with a decent spec. The build quality of the smaller elements are a little rough and ready. Particularly the wear-n-tear elements such as the disc brakes, tension lock etc. The machine works well though, it will need to be calibrated when it arrives - which the instruction manual will show you how to do. The main structural parts of the machine are very sturdy and overall the machine is very heavy. Definitely not something you want to move around a lot.

Out of the box, the machine will need to be assembled but only takes about 10mins to do. I put some neoprene foam tape on the ends of the turn table and the tensioner to protect them as they can collide if you're not careful.

I have strung probably around 50-100 racquets with it and it's still working fine. The good thing about this type of machine is that almost everything is on it is replaceable/fixable if it ever goes wrong as it is a model that is rebranded by other companies too. Also, as everything is mechanical, it's usually fairly easy to maintain and fix. For example, if the aluminum disc brake eventually fails, you can easily get someone to fabricate one. Also, if you opt for the table top version, you can always get a stand for it if you need to.

One thing I don't like about it is the tension gauge. It's terrible to read, so I use a digital scale to double check the tension before I start which slows me down. It's fine if you're only intending to use it for the odd string job but probably not suitable if you're looking to do large volume stringing.

In terms of support, the 6 point system is a conventional one that works very well. You just need to make sure you clamp the racquet down well and the machine will hold it very securely. I've not had any problems with it so far. You can get some load distributors for the 12 and 6 o'clock supports, I've used them a few times but find they do get in the way sometimes so I've done without.

There are a few BCFers who have made their own supports that replaces the standard side supports and creates more space with the "C" design to allow easy access for stringing. I haven't heard of any reported problems with them, but admittedly I do have a slight concern with the rubber boot which although prevents damaging the racquet, I feel that it allows the racquet to move marginally. This is something you really don't want particularly when stringing at high tensions on racquets that may already have some damage/weakness. Just my 2-pence but as I said, many have used them and have not had any problems.

Overall, would I recommend the Eagna Smart 808? I would say yes if the price is good. But also consider other similar ones that are also available now which are equally as good and may be cheaper?

3. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    The main difference between both machines is that the Smart 808 comes with badminton fixed clamps and costs 230$ more, so I would probably go with the Combo and buy badminton clamps from http://www.watdon.co.uk/wd-strings/.

If you do casual stringing, both machines will do as long as they arrive with all parts and nothing broken. Eagnas is known for shipping used machines with defective or missing parts, and then you have to deal with their world renowned worst customer service ever. See this: http://www.la.bbb.org/business-reviews/Sporting-Goods-Retail/Eagnas-in-Gardena-CA-13107684

O
    verall, ordering from Eagnas is and will always be a bad idea. It is encouraging fraudulent and unfair business practices and risking to just waste 700$.

Since I see that you were ready to pay 750$ for the Combo, let me suggest you to buy a Gamma Progression ST II that is about the same price but doesn't have badminton fixed clamps.
    http://www.nextag.com/Gamma-Sports-Progression-ST-626190628/prices-html
    (
    the link was in the ads when I was posting this :p)

There are also other alternatives.

#3 yan.v, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  4. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I meant "750$ for the Smart" Sorry.

5. chinavip

chinavip Regular Member

Student
    What if I am looking to do more then average stringing, should I be checking out the gamma sports progression st II? or do u have any other suggestions

6. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Yes, you should definitely look for a Gamma stringing machine or even some other brands like Pro's Pro.

There are many alternatives.

1) Buy a new machine online. You will have to pay high shipping fees and custom fees, since there isn't many stringing machine sellers in Canada. One decent place to buy is http://www.watdon.co.uk/wd-strings/. The Pro's Pro Pilot is a pretty good machine similar to the ones you were looking for.
    http://www.watdon.co.uk/wd-strings/acatalog/info_A04.html. I posted their shipping fees in another thread on here for most of their tabletop machines.

2) Buy a used machine from local ads like kijiji. You could find a really good machine at a really good price. Some people buy a machine and just string a couple rackets and sell it months later.

3) You could also buy it through your local sports shop. They often have contacts with Gamma or other stringing machine manufacturers and could buy it for you so you do not have to pay shipping or custom fees.

A cheaper but efficient alternative is the Alpha Shuttle Express and the Pro's Pro Shuttle Express. They both cost less, but also have less features. They are however well built.

Hope this helps.