Entry form for the Dr. Charles Best Invit 2004 can be found here

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by William86_98, Oct 8, 2004.

1. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
  2. William86_98

Student
    "Probable Start Times" revised

please d/l new copy.

the d/l link is the same.

Thanks,

William

3. hscalvin

hscalvin Regular Member

Hey will, i guess the copy u sent to me is the revised version right? i'm still trying to get ppl to come to your tourney, but i don't have many friends left in vancouver ....

4. William86_98

Student
    The only difference in the revised copy is that..

the mixed doubles start date has been moved to friday..and the singles start date to saturday

5. William86_98

Student
    Reminder to all!

One month till entry deadline!

Hope to see you all there!

6. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Charles Best

I'm signed up for singles and doubles if they can find me a partner.

7. William86_98

Student
  8. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Just one question... what will the earliest games be on friday and Saturdays? cuz yeah alot of us Are students.. so i suppose around... 5-ish?

and Are people Allowed to watch? like my friend wants to watch, but she don't know if its'll be ok]

Thx

9. William86_98

Student
    yes..spectators are not only allowed..they're encouraged!

friday and saturday.friday..5ish 5:30, 6..depends on age group..if you have a specific start time..that you'd like us to try to meet..u can email it to cbest_council@hotmail.com and we can try to accomadate you....it's very flexible..since the draws arent' made yet. saturday..we're looking at 9:30ish 10 in the morning...depending on how much time we'll need to finish the mix...if at all...and depending on how much time the single and doubles will take on saturday....we dun wanna start too late...otherwise...we'll be there late into the night

10. William86_98

Student
    The numbers are in!

There are officially 172 participants registered for the tournament next weekend (Dec. 17-19)

Thanks for all your support! Don't forget to call in for your draw times!

11. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Jus wondering...:rolleyes: Can u post links to the tournament brackets? so we'll know who we're playing? thxx :p

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Me and my partner will be playing in the Open tourney. From a contact of mine, we'll be facing probably one of the strongest teams in our group:(.

Might I suggest to the organisers to make available the tournament draws online in the future. It'll be much better than renting the school office for the day to field inquiries.

13. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    Never phoned in so I have no idea when I play my first match (I'm assuming singles for the open starts Saturday morning) but I'll drive by tonight to have a look at the gym and check out the draws.

14. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

So What did everyone who went to the Tourney Think?

For me... I had fun... but then kinda disapointed cuz my partner and I did really bad... and ended up in Conso.... wasn't our Badminton day :crying:

Other then the Tight Phoning time that u had to make... it was pretty Kool :)

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Glad you had fun, Yipom. Unfortunately, I didn't have the same experience as you did. My first matchup was what I had in mind: a learning experience and the privilege of playing with tourney players I won't normally get to play on the court. But the long wait between matches and the disorganised scene soured my first time in the tourney. I am afraid there won't be a next time for me:(.

16. BTC2004

BTC2004 Regular Member

Waits are very long and the it is very disorganized, resulting in the negative feedback from many players. Exceptions are made for people to defer their game play time which should not have happened, inability to predict a more reasonable start time when asked can be attributed to inexperience also.:(

But it is a fair size tourney and it is not a breeze to hold a tourney and everyone is a volunteer and have worked hard, credit is due there.:eek:
    Overall and on the positive side, glad to see badminton is very much alive with so many young and good players. Any organization that promotes badminton has my vote, hope this keeps up.:)

Cheers

17. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    Having run my fair share of tournaments over the years I think the biggest problem was being too ambitious... i.e running so many divisions. Most tournaments (outside of the masters, but they tend to have small entry numbers) run only two events anymore ( say u21 and u16). It helps move things along. I'm used to waiting and hour or so between matches, but three hours when it is still the same draw (i.e. singles) is a tad long

My only beef is consols having to play plastics and ended up using my own shuttles. Juniors perhaps, but not an "open" event. In any open tourney budget I've done I've alloted three shuttles per match for all draws. It does rack up the shuttle budget, but then again there is a reason Black Knight has never my main bird supplier - their shuttles are too over priced. If the problem comes down to cost control, organizers need to look at alternate suppliers. I've got my unit price down to below $16 CDN per tube for this years tourney.

I got a bit of a bad draw as I eneded up in the consols where I sort of rolled over everyone, but no one had seen me play so having to face that Luke guy was kinda expected. Depth preception was a little rough at first, but got used to it.

Overall it was cool to meet a bunch of the guys that frequent the boards and get some games in. It also served as a good reminder to have my raquet restrung more often especially when I'm down to the one. Never got to unleash the big boomer on anyone ( maybe at VRC... ) though I snuck a couple backhand smashes in during the singles final.:D

18. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Off topic: Vining let me know when you're dropping in VRC ... I'd like to get a few games. YOU PLAY AWESOME!!!! :D

-dave

19. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    Well I dunno about awesome - it's more everyone was too in shock seeing a big ugly white dude playing badminton.

I was going to see about joining Cappy and you guys during your late night slugfests at the VRC. If you're still a go for 10 pm tomorrow night I'll be there. Off to "reload the weapon" today if i can and I need to track down some additional shuttles too as I'm down to three or four.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    sound like a heck lot of fun.
    dont forget to unload some of your 'big white boomers' :D